Premed 101 Forums

MCAT attempts

enmeds

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question. Does anyone know how Canadian Adcom's look at students who have lets say 4-5 MCAT attempts? Are they at a disadvantages? Will the committee have disclosure to the attempts? Will an applicant who has done it 4-5 times with a slightly high composite be overlooked and passed over against an applicant who did it once with a slightly lower score? Finally, are their any schools that have no problems with many mcat attempts versus ones that do?

Thank you

1) I believe you have to release all scores to schools, so they have the number of times you wrote and what you got in each section for each attempt

2) The only place I explicitly read about attempts was @ McGill, where they stated that more than 3 attempts will make one less competitive

1) I believe you have to release all scores to schools, so they have the number of times you wrote and what you got in each section for each attempt

2) The only place I explicitly read about attempts was @ McGill, where they stated that more than 3 attempts will make one less competitive

I couldn't find it on their website that says this. Can you provide a link? Thanks

I believe Saskatchewan has the policy as well astudentis. Anywhere else it does not matter. For most schools, the MCAT is mostly plug-n-chug computer calculations to get a score for your application and not considered beyond that.
Oh really? I'm not doubting you, but I've never heard that before.

I couldn't find it on their website that says this. Can you provide a link? Thanks

I dont remember where the link is.. this is when I applied in the fall of 2008 to get in fall of 2009

edit: I went back and looked it up for you...

http://www.mcgill.ca/medicine/admissions/criteria/med-r-reqs/

" III. Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)

Applicants must have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and authorized release of all results so as to have the official results received by the application deadline. Test results dating more than five years from the application deadline will not be used. Competitive applicants should have a minimum overall numeric score of 30, with no science section numerical score less than 9 and verbal reasoning section less than 8. Applicants should have written the MCAT no more than three times in order to be considered a competitive applicant. "

I dont remember where the link is.. this is when I applied in the fall of 2008 to get in fall of 2009

edit: I went back and looked it up for you...

http://www.mcgill.ca/medicine/admissions/criteria/med-r-reqs/

" III. Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)

Applicants must have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and authorized release of all results so as to have the official results received by the application deadline. Test results dating more than five years from the application deadline will not be used. Competitive applicants should have a minimum overall numeric score of 30, with no science section numerical score less than 9 and verbal reasoning section less than 8. Applicants should have written the MCAT no more than three times in order to be considered a competitive applicant. "

Ah thanks. Kind of an abstract way of putting things. I guess it just mean that they don't like it when appilcants take the MCAT more than 3 times.

Archived