Premed 101 Forums

Important Admissions requirement questions!

This is excerpt from the Western Medical School admissions guidelines.

*Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admissions into a graduate (Master’s Degree) program. Applicants should note that the level of courses must correspond to the “year” of their program. For example, if a student is registered in the third year of their undergraduate degree program, then three out of the five courses must be at the third year level.

Here are the questions:

1. If I am in fourth year, does that mean in order to be eligible for medical school, I must take three 4th year level classes?

2. And what happens if in my second year, I took 1 first year class, 2 second year classes and 2 3rd year classes (not the desired 3 second year classes). Technically, I went over and above, but does this void my second year as eligible for weight GPA? And does this void me completely from being accepted into the Western medical school?

3. Does the passage above only refer to the the weighted GPA years, or all of our years at University?

Sorry I am still a little confused.

1. So in fourth year, I need to take 3 classes that are 300 level or 400 level?

2. Am I ok if I only took 2 200 level courses in second year but had other 300 level courses?

I also found these newer guidelines in the 2009-2010 admissions paper.

Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admissions into a graduate (Masters Degree) program.

Sorry for all the questions, but does this mean that 200 level courses count as senior level? Would this mean that if I took 3 200 level courses in my fourth year, 1 300, and 1 400, that I would be ok for applying still?

This part contradicts what I mentioned in point 1 earlier, but I just need more clarification. As much detail as you can possible give would be even better.

Thank you

Sorry I am still a little confused.

1. So in fourth year, I need to take 3 classes that are 300 level or 400 level?

2. Am I ok if I only took 2 200 level courses in second year but had other 300 level courses?

I also found these newer guidelines in the 2009-2010 admissions paper.

Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admissions into a graduate (Masters Degree) program.

Sorry for all the questions, but does this mean that 200 level courses count as senior level? Would this mean that if I took 3 200 level courses in my fourth year, 1 300, and 1 400, that I would be ok for applying still?

This part contradicts what I mentioned in point 1 earlier, but I just need more clarification. As much detail as you can possible give would be even better.

Thank you

1. 4th year- you need to take 60% (3 classes) that are either 3rd or 4th year or a combination of them. Both 3rd and 4th year classes are acceptable "senior level" courses for 4th year.

2. Yes. Your 2nd year is fine.

3. That statement is confusing. But, generally (there are always some random exceptions), in 4th year senior level is considered 300 and 400 level courses. (see answer 1)

Hi,

I am a graduate student in electrical and computer engineering at UofT. I am becoming more and more interested in medical school, and am considering applying to a medical program for 2010. I have worked as a research assistant in many different labs at UofT. Although my current research is very math-oriented, some of my previous research experiences involved computational biology. I do have publications as well (from what I see on the school websites, that seems like a strong point) but my papers are about engineering topics.

Since electrical engineering is a little tougher than many programs, my GPA does not make me a strong applicant: I have a 3.07 Cumulative GPA on my undergraduate courses, and 3.7 GPA on the five grad courses I've taken for my current degree. (Grad studies only require taking 5 courses). Also, I have not taken any of the MD prerequisites, such as biology and chemistry.

hey sorry to hijack this thread for a quick question... Are there any stigmas attached to taking online courses? or they count just like any other class would?

Thanks!

Not at western - the degree doesn't matter as long as the courses are at the appropriate year etc. you also don't have to bring up that you even took any at that important interview stage if you don't want to.

Where are you taking this course or courses out of curiosity?

You should be fine i believe. I was wondering what if you took 6 courses say in 3rd year where you have 2 first year courses, 1 second year and 3 third year courses. I know they only take your best 5 but what if you got A's in all of them would they automatically take your higher level courses first? And i think only one year applies to this rule. Since only one year has to have corresponding senior courses.I think that is the hard rule.

although I would think that showing you are an independent learner would overall be an advantage rather than have any negative vibes

I would agree and did sell my education on those merits - there is some people though that still hold a stigma towards DE courses. Personal choice what to do but it is nice to know it is not automatically known in any case :)

You should be fine i believe. I was wondering what if you took 6 courses say in 3rd year where you have 2 first year courses, 1 second year and 3 third year courses. I know they only take your best 5 but what if you got A's in all of them would they automatically take your higher level courses first? And i think only one year applies to this rule. Since only one year has to have corresponding senior courses.I think that is the hard rule.

They will take your best 5 courses BUT as I understand it 3.0 of them must be for the year in question be at the 3rd year or higher. This somewhat restricts things as the only courses they can exclude from your GPA - as you took exactly 3 courses 3rd year or higher in your third year - would be one of the first or second year courses. I will confirm this tomorrow for you when I am in the office as it is a bit tricky.

Not at western - the degree doesn't matter as long as the courses are at the appropriate year etc. you also don't have to bring up that you even took any at that important interview stage if you don't want to.

Where are you taking this course or courses out of curiosity?

I'll be heading into 4th year at western this year, and have Physio as a backup and Western PT requires a writing course. So I'm considering taking 2111F online because I heard the online version of the class doesn't even have a final exam

I'll be heading into 4th year at western this year, and have Physio as a backup and Western PT requires a writing course. So I'm considering taking 2111F online because I heard the online version of the class doesn't even have a final exam

that is only one course even - that doesn't hit the radar in terms of an issue :)

They will take your best 5 courses BUT as I understand it 3.0 of them must be for the year in question be at the 3rd year or higher. This somewhat restricts things as the only courses they can exclude from your GPA - as you took exactly 3 courses 3rd year or higher in your third year - would be one of the first or second year courses. I will confirm this tomorrow for you when I am in the office as it is a bit tricky.

I was correct - the above is true.

Archived