Premed 101 Forums

GPA conversion for UBC grades

Maybe its been asked here but I couldnt find the answer by checking the first several pages. I saw that GPA conversion table but for UBC students we have both letter grade and % grade. I tried to calculate based on each and found a huge difference. I wonder if anyone knows which conversion U of Calgary actually uses for UBC grades?

Thanks~

something like that

I know its quite huge

yeah but everyone will drop accordingly. If you look at the stats for the entering class of 2010 and 2010, their overall converted GPAs were 3.69 and 3.62. Those averages would seem really low compared to other schools. So though your numbers dropped, everyone's probably did (except for those who get 90+ in everything)

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow it all works out. I had a mid-A minus GPA when I applied from UBC, and still got accepted as an IP (and my ECs aren't anything too terribly spectacular).

But, yes, I remember looking back at the GPA conversions and thinking that they were pretty brutal.

yeah but everyone will drop accordingly. If you look at the stats for the entering class of 2010 and 2010, their overall converted GPAs were 3.69 and 3.62. Those averages would seem really low compared to other schools. So though your numbers dropped, everyone's probably did (except for those who get 90+ in everything)

That's true. Since everything above 90 is the same, this conversion table will benefit people who has evenly distributed scores. My GPA hurt a lot because I have courses high as 98 and low as 68, although my average percentage is ok at UBC, my GPA really sucks, not only on Calgary scale but also on OMSAS or should I say any school other than UBC.

That's true. Since everything above 90 is the same, this conversion table will benefit people who has evenly distributed scores. My GPA hurt a lot because I have courses high as 98 and low as 68, although my average percentage is ok at UBC, my GPA really sucks

Yeah, I have the same problem. My A- average is like a 3.4.

every school has its problems when it comes to GPA conversion.

At least from this thread, you know you aren't alone....we are all fighting the uphill battle.

I've opened up my application for the next cycle and thankfully most of my info has migrated to the new application! This is especially useful for the transcripts section...no need to spend 2 hours inputting grades again! Just need to add the last few sessions I was registered in.

Hurray for U of C for making the most of an electronic application process. I wish OMSAS would have followed suit...

I've opened up my application for the next cycle and thankfully most of my info has migrated to the new application! This is especially useful for the transcripts section...no need to spend 2 hours inputting grades again! Just need to add the last few sessions I was registered in.

Yeah, I was so happy to see that.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm not 100% sure about calculating the GPA. I'm from UBC as well, so I know how the conversion really messes up our grades.

What I did was like a weighted average, I multiplied each converted GPA grade by the number of credits of that course and divided the sum by the total number of credits.

Ex.

Course 1 (3 credits) - 3.76

Course 2 (6 credits) - 4.00

So: [(3.76*3) + (4.00*6)] / 9

Did I get it right?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm not 100% sure about calculating the GPA. I'm from UBC as well, so I know how the conversion really messes up our grades.

What I did was like a weighted average, I multiplied each converted GPA grade by the number of credits of that course and divided the sum by the total number of credits.

Ex.

Course 1 (3 credits) - 3.76

Course 2 (6 credits) - 4.00

So: [(3.76*3) + (4.00*6)] / 9

Did I get it right?

Yes they do this to each of your two best years. Within each year, they use the way you calculated it.

But for the GPA for your best two years, they just average the two years.

Say your best year has 36 credits and second best year has 30 credits, they won't take the credit difference into consideration but rather to simply average them.

Yes they do this to each of your two best years. Within each year, they use the way you calculated it.

But for the GPA for your best two years, they just average the two years.

Say your best year has 36 credits and second best year has 30 credits, they won't take the credit difference into consideration but rather to simply average them.

I see, thanks so much for this clarification! Big help!

Archived