Premed 101 Forums

Straight out of high school?

What countries allow canadian students right out of high school study med?

(please give countries with adecent match rate.....not countries like Afganistan)

thanks

A country called Quebec after 2 years of college if you are resident of Quebec.

Caribbean countries if you are also a Caribbean citizen. I know one student who just graduated grade 12 from ON and it is almost certain that she will go to med school in the fall.

You can get into med school in the UK.

Afganistan does not yet have a med school. :eek:

^^ but international students can go straight out of high school?

If outside of North America, ya, you can go start med straight out of highschool. Canadians can also go straight to med school out of high school in England/Ireland, but it'll be a 6 year program at ~40,000 Euros a year.

If outside of North America, ya, you can go start med straight out of highschool. Canadians can also go straight to med school out of high school in England/Ireland, but it'll be a 6 year program at ~40,000 Euros a year.

There are 5 year medical schools in Australia, but most are even more competitive to get into then the 6 year ones.

and ECs and volunteering....they want to ensure that you are a top student who is well rounded in terms of sports or whatever and have tried to make a contribution to society, e.g., tutoring kids, coaching sports, active in church, etc. I know a h.s. student with well over 90% average who is sports minded and very active in the community. The competition is intense and those who do not make it will go to UG and try next year. There is the same problem as here, i.e., a greater number of excellent candidates than seats available.

and ECs and volunteering....they want to ensure that you are a top student who is well rounded in terms of sports or whatever and have tried to make a contribution to society, e.g., tutoring kids, coaching sports, active in church, etc. I know a h.s. student with well over 90% average who is sports minded and very active in the community. The competition is intense and those who do not make it will go to UG and try next year. There is the same problem as here, i.e., a greater number of excellent candidates than seats available.

Alright my "sketch" is as follows,

110 volunteer hours last summer at surgical skills Mt. Sanai,

Volunteer for my church i.e sitting at salvation army kettles in the christmas period,

Currently volunteering at Mt. Sanai for CT scan,

Work full time at the FGICR at Mt. Sanai,

Coach my brothers baseball team,

Play baseball and curling and skiing,

I am in enviromental club at school,

And i am the treasuser of my high school.

My average is about 85 in grade eleven

and money is no objective

Alright my "sketch" is as follows,

110 volunteer hours last summer at surgical skills Mt. Sanai,

Volunteer for my church i.e sitting at salvation army kettles in the christmas period,

Currently volunteering at Mt. Sanai for CT scan,

Work full time at the FGICR at Mt. Sanai,

Coach my brothers baseball team,

Play baseball and curling and skiing,

I am in enviromental club at school,

And i am the treasuser of my high school.

My average is about 85 in grade eleven

and money is no objective

Whats the hurry, why do you want to get in after high school?

Whats the hurry, why do you want to get in after high school?

Because I really don't want to go through the whole UG, because two classes can affect if you do or dont, not to mention how they base med school here off of the lotto 6/49. And I have connections here such as my Aunt being a top surgoen at toronto general her knowing many people so going to AUS route makes the most sense to me, not to mention it is a beautiful country.

Well if you say that....:P

Although I think the "extra-time" spent in UG is enriching and is helpful. Not necessarily the coursework but life experience. But if you confident that your ability get a match, and you are hell-bent on avoiding UG you might as well go to Australia. Go play some cricket :P

Well if you say that....:P

Although I think the "extra-time" spent in UG is enriching and is helpful. Not necessarily the coursework but life experience. But if you confident that your ability get a match, and you are hell-bent on avoiding UG you might as well go to Australia. Go play some cricket :P

and just be very aware of the problems coming back to Canada via this route and the issues practising in Aus as well etc.

and just be very aware of the problems coming back to Canada via this route and the issues practising in Aus as well etc.

Yea there are too many problems going abroad. I was planning to go abroad at one point but decided against it.

Some things to consider >>

Any unforeseen changes that could alter the selection process or your aunts contribution to it over the next 5-6 years could screw you over huge. Changes in personnel, board members, program directors, political landscape, funding, and personal things such as your aunt's career path, health, family obligations etc. could all conspire to help or hinder your chances at achieving an outcome so far away.

You'd have to do the return of service contract as an IMG which would be pretty long for surgery (don't they make it match the length of the residency? I'm not sure...) and it'd be $250k more in tuition to leave Canada. You also don't know if some other Program Director's family member will be banking on the same strategy for the very limited number of spots.

This is obviously the downside and you've already mentioned the upside - if it works out you get a residency when most people would be starting clerkships. You'd be 2 or 3 years ahead of where you'd be had you taken an undergrad, but with more debt and the ROS to consider.

I'm not saying anything is likely (or unlikely) to happen, just that you'll probably make the best decision for you if you take a realistic view of the degree of certainty of something 5-6 years away into account. Even if your aunt is the program director, it'd be short-sighted to say "I'm not worried" at this point.

Archived