Premed 101 Forums

Cheaper iphone plans

Hey all,

I am thinking of getting an iphone this year and planning to go on contract with rogers. Their cheapest iphone plan is around $65 per month - I was wondering if someone else was able to negotiate a cheaper plan with rogers for the iphone.

I will let you know if I am able to bring it down which I highly doubt! :P

Guest p0stman

If you buy an iPhone from Apple directly it's unlocked isn't it? In that case you can use it with any plan you want and any carrier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you buy an iPhone from Apple directly it's unlocked isn't it? In that case you can use it with any plan you want and any carrier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

you can buy the phone from any of the carriers that is not locked into specifically them I believe but it costs more than buying one with a 3 year plan. trouble is once you buy the phone the cost of one of these plans won't go down - you will still wind up paying rougly the same montly cost regardless of what carrier you do eventually end up with (at least if you want a data plan).

you can buy the phone from any of the carriers that is not locked into specifically them I believe but it costs more than buying one with a 3 year plan. trouble is once you buy the phone the cost of one of these plans won't go down - you will still wind up paying rougly the same montly cost regardless of what carrier you do eventually end up with (at least if you want a data plan).

Your best bet is to play the barter game with a current provider. Threaten to cancel your current plan and hope you get the right person from retention.

buying it straight from apple your phone is unlocked..

Buying from a carrier will locked the phone once the microsim is activated to a specific provider.

You don't have to get a $65 plan for an iphone, but you will need a data plan with 3 yr contract to qualify for a discount. So if you have a really cheap voice plan, and just want the iphone for its app and don't want data, buying it straight out from apple might be cheaper after 3 years.

If your current provider contract is up, you can definitely neogotiate a better deal than what is posted on their website.

________

Bongs

buying it straight from apple your phone is unlocked..

Buying from a carrier will locked the phone once the microsim is activated to a specific provider.

You don't have to get a $65 plan for an iphone, but you will need a data plan with 3 yr contract to qualify for a discount. So if you have a really cheap voice plan, and just want the iphone for its app and don't want data, buying it straight out from apple might be cheaper after 3 years.

If your current provider contract is up, you can definitely neogotiate a better deal than what is posted on their website.

The iPhone4 is a 5-band phone, right? Does it have AWS? (i.e. will it work with Mobilicity/Wind Mobile?)

Thanks everyone for all the input :)

I do need a data plan so buying it from the carrier seems like a cheaper option than buying the unlocked version from Apple. I am thinking of switching carriers now since my current service provider is not that good. So bartering is difficult as I will be a new customer. I will try though and see what comes out of it....

And shannn, the current iphone 4 does not have AWS - it's yet to be released.

Not sure if you have Fido coverage in your area but the now have a special on iphone data; 30$ for 6gigabytes. Thats more than enough and when combined with a simple 15$ a month voice plan. This brings your total to 45$ and you pay no system access fee.

Not sure if you have Fido coverage in your area but the now have a special on iphone data; 30$ for 6gigabytes. Thats more than enough and when combined with a simple 15$ a month voice plan. This brings your total to 45$ and you pay no system access fee.

interesting! if you get that though you would need to buy the phone at full price right? It is not an option listed on their iphone plans etc (?)

6Gb is overkill for data for regular people. I go on youtube, check email, stream movies(albeit not a lot of movies), use gps, and i don't break 1gb. I think you should trial for a month before signing away 30$ unless you have a lot of cash of course.

anyone looking to replace their home internet with the 6gb tether plan with the cellphone?

would it be slow? i don't know if 6gb is enough though

To me, 6GB would not be enough.

With 6GB, you'd only be able to email, surf, download limited stuff and watch youtube IMO, it would be difficult to do much else

You are better off spending $30 + a little more for real internet

• 1 month later...

Archived