Premed 101 Forums

Help Please - 5th Year or Second Degree?

Hi guys

So I need to do a 5th non degree year as I only have one year above the cutoff but was wondering if instead of a fifth year it would be more beneficial to do a second degree for a year and summer? Im interested in whichever option will be better in terms of gpa consideration and open the door to more schools. My cgpa is low.

Will UWO accept a year from my undergad degree and one year from this second degree? What about Queens? Will a second degree be more helpful for schools like uoft, ottawa? Thanks

Hi guys

So I need to do a 5th non degree year as I only have one year above the cutoff but was wondering if instead of a fifth year it would be more beneficial to do a second degree for a year and summer? Im interested in whichever option will be better in terms of gpa consideration and open the door to more schools. My cgpa is low.

Will UWO accept a year from my undergad degree and one year from this second degree? What about Queens? Will a second degree be more helpful for schools like uoft, ottawa? Thanks

Hi there!

Western will not accept split degree years and in fact if you start a new degree you must finished before western will consider you.

If you cGPA is very low it will be basically extremely difficult to pull up your average to the point where MAC or Toronto will consider you. You often need years and years of 4.0 GPA to get a cGPA for them or a second degree route is often not that effective here. This just means you can focus on the school where you do have good shots of getting in.

As shannn is point out we can be more helpful if you give us the year by year breakdown of your current gpa - then we can be more specific :)

If you posted your year by year stats and MCAT, it would help us guide you.

Year 1: Terrible - less than 2.0 due to circumstances

Year 2: 3.55

Year 3: 3.6

Year 4: im not sure but 3.7+

Which would be most beneficial for me 5th degree year, non degree year, or a second degree?

Fifth degree year in my opinion. Double check what your gpa was in your 4th year. If it's above 3.75 fifth year seems like a go.

A 3.7 is risky because we have seen the gpa cutoff go up to 3.75 and who knows this may rise in the near future...

As rmorlean has mentioned you can't split the two years between two different degrees.

Year 1: Terrible - less than 2.0 due to circumstances

Year 2: 3.55

Year 3: 3.6

Year 4: im not sure but 3.7+

Which would be most beneficial for me 5th degree year, non degree year, or a second degree?

solid 5th year gets you to the point where you can apply to queens and western (depending on your mcat you can already apply to western this year under conditional status).

Have you actually graduated yet? Are all these years full time (5.0+ courses).

So far I am leaning towards a 5th year as well based on what you told us so for

Archived