Premed 101 Forums

Anglo-Ontario applying to French (all 2003 WGPA cutoffs)

Guest camillefr

Guest camillefr

The French Program 2003 WGPA interview cutoffs (per regional category)

---------------------------------------------------------------

1)Franco-Ontario applicants-3.2

2)Programme National (francophone outside Ontario & Quebec)-3.4

3)Aylmer-Hull-Gatineau-Outaouais (Quebec)-3.6

4)Rest of Quebec-3.87

Note: Quebec is the only province really considered out of province (3.87) for the French Program.

Source: Admissions Office Monday February 10, 2003

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anglo-Ontario let me know if the inside information I provide is helping you and giving you hope!

I got interview with 3.5! (anglo-ontario applicant applying this year as franco-ontario applicant)

Please view "you can be anglo and apply as franco" thread below!

I researched ottawa medical school extremely well! Please feel free to ask questions!

Cheers Anglo-Ontario!

Ottawa Honours Guy soon Bilingual Ottawa Doc!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest UOMeds06

Camillefr,

Not as many people are applying to the French program that know of this site. Those who are reading your posts, I'm sure are very grateful. SOOOOOOOOOO MANY MORE people use this site and NEVER post. Many people are much more comfortable reading but not posting, some are shy, some just would rather not post for other reasons. Either way, someone out there is reading your post and benefitting...keep it up!

Guest camillefr

No quota for Ontario! The french program is designed for them and francophones (Except Quebec) which explains their lower WGPA! In fact, the franco-ontario medical students and programme national (francophones outside Ontario & Quebec) want more of them to apply-they go the franco-ontario high schools and stuff to do recruitment! Not enough of them apply!

So apply!!!

Best wishes!

Guest camillefr

Next I will find out from admissions the exact statistics on getting admission into the french program as a franco-ontario (non-Quebeker) once we passed the interview stage (for anglo-ontario candidates like myself who got successfully got the french interview this year -IMPORTANT NOTE: Last year I did not even make the Ottawa Cutoff of 3.6 when I applied to the English program). I heard the stats are incredible!!!

So you see guys, there is HOPE!!!!!

Guest camillefr

according to uomeds2006, there were only 70 interviews last year for the french! (and they took 40 wowowowow)

i will find out the stats for the french this year from office.

i m in med school for sure this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no wonder they considered me franco-ontario this year even though last year i applied as anglo-ontario!!!

the 13 anglo-ontario med students in the french program and 4 french profs guided me so well!!!! i owe them alot!!!!!!!!!!

i cannot believe it!!!!!!!

40 acceptances of 70 interviews isn't SO different from the rest of the OMSAS schools, is it? The numbers that people have posted seem to indicate that a little over half of the applicants interviewed get (eventual, including waitlist) acceptances at each school.

Guest MayFlower1

Hey Peachy,

I think the numbers for anglo programs are more like one out of every 5 interviewed at each school get extended an offer. If memory serves me correctly, just under 500 anglos were interviewed at UofO last year...there were just under 100 spots available for the anglo program. I believe there were a total of 138 spots available at UofO...as UOmeds06 said...approximately 40 of those were for people applying to the francophone program and the balance for the anglophone program.

Peter

Guest camillefr

thanks guys, but i will find out the REAL story from the admissions office and share it with everybody here. one thing about applying to medical school is go with accurate information guys!

Guest UOMeds06

Peter,

The stats are a little less black and white. Of the 500 or so interviewed, many of these people will interview elsewhere aswell. For some reason (couldn't tell you why ;) ), some of these people end up going else where despite an acceptance at the UofO. This would be a GUESS but I think that odds are closer to 2 in 5 after an interview. HOWEVER, out of the 40 people initially accepted into the French program, some will go elsewhere and study in English and some will study in French at a Quebec university. There are waiting lists for BOTH programs.

Guest tutifruiti

For the sake of UofO Medical program (francophone AND anglophone) reputation, I believe it is my responsibility to clarify some of the information recently posted:

At first, I was like Camillefr very happy that the ood of getting in was that high for the francophone program. Though there are a couple "more anglophone than francophone" students in our programme, all of them are really proficient in French. The adcoms aren't fools, they know what it needs to be part of the francophone programme, to be able to communicate and stand the very fast and argumentative discussion during PBL, during our "cliniques simulées", during our DAC (développement des aptitudes cliniques). The adcoms aren't fools, they know whether you are mainly anglophone or not and will wonder why you didn't apply in the anglophone stream: be ready to be very proficient in French in order to vanish any of their suspicion.

The francophone program isn't a get-together of non successful anglophone applicant. Far from that.

I studyied in bio at UofO, 90% of the people in my class, like most other life science programs, wanted to get into med. Only 3 of our promotion got in. The stats show that it might be easier to get in the francophone programme, but don't think that "applying" in the franco prog. equals getting in. From all the UofO students from my year who got in, none of them didn't make the Dean's List, meanning that they had at least 3.7-4.0 of GPA. I would say 1/3 of my classmates went to graduate school prior to get in: it is not easy to get in, either in the French or the English program. I don't want to discourage anybody to apply, I just want to warn the anglophones who could misinterpret CamilleFr's words and who intend to apply to the French program. On te contrary I encourage everybody who are confident with ther French, toapply to the program!!! It's a great programme and it's a shame that we don't have that many applicants!

But anyways, I don't even think it is harder to get in the English programme than the French one. I am an Asian guy with an Asian name!! and because of that the adcoms assumed I was applying to the English programme so they sent me an interview invitation letter in English! If I didn't call the admission office to tell them I actually was francophone, I would have gotten in (of course if they had accepted me!) in the English programme!

I must admit that 40 out of 80 or 70 results in an extremely high odd of getting into the francophone med program. However the odd for interviewees to get in the anglo med program isn't too high either: 100 spots for 430-450 English interviews, but, last year, like most years, applicants were accepted out of the "bad waiting list", meaning that more than 250 out of the 430-450 English applicants were actually offered a spot in the anglo programme. I don't want to challenge UOmeds06 (you know I wouldn't!!) but here are the facts: most of francophone applicants don't apply to other anglophone med school so they don't end up being accepted/waitlisted elsewhere than UofO meds. Moreover, since most of them are from Ontario (franco-Ontarian), most of them can't apply of Quebec's med school. UOMeds06 we can always clarify that with me after class!!!!!!!:smokin

Nobody actually seem to know the exact numbers, so I would really appreciate people not posting "vague" information, as would say CamilleFR. Numbers that come without explanation leads to misinterpretation:

The number of francophone interviews: some say 70, other say around 80... I told these surprising number to one of my colleague and he swears that he heard the number 100 for Nicole R. mouth! But anyways, why are we putting so much importance on these numbers!? Time would be better spent doing study (for me!!!!) and mock interviews/introspection for you guys!!!

ouf that was the longest reply I have ever made!!! I could have read a whole chapter of the Lily instead!!! :eek

good luck CamilleFr and every applicants!

One interview tip for everyone: :D SMILE during the interview it is a sign of confidence and it makes the interview so easier!

Mr T

Guest UWOMED2005

To put some perspective on this, I'll mention that at UWO for my application cycle (2000-2001), approximately 189 acceptances, including those sent to people initially on the waitlist, were eventually sent out after we interviewed just under 400 applicants. And I'm sure some/many of the 200 odd applicants who didn't end up being accepted at UWO were probably accepted at another school. The numbers were similar this past year (though I don't remember them.) So a ratio of 40-60% for getting wouldn't be that offbase.

Je m'excuse si tu pense que je suis "vague" avec cette information. :rollin

Yikes G8M8T!!!! That's scary. What schools have you had interviews at? I can see myself being in the same boat as you at the end of this year (great stats but awful interviewing skills)....

What do you think went wrong?

Guest camillefr

thanks tuttifruiti! great points! the francophones in Canada (NON-QUEBECKERS) really only got 1 school where they can apply (university of ottawa-program francophone); therefore I also heard people have harder time coming off the waiting list and it is competitive (many people i know who got accepted into french were also on the deans list tuttifruiti). this is why i agree totally with the university policy to make it more difficult for quebecker francophones to get into the program (they already have 4 med schools in Quebec-3 in french). you are right to focus on school and not numbers, but it is easier for u to say cuz you are accepted. i still got the premed syndrome hehehe. i cant help but doing all these statistical calculations in my head (ie comparing anglophone/francophone, underserviced, Ottawa, toronto...) hehehe.

Hi Peachy, I interviewed at Ottawa, McGill (2x), McMaster and Queen's and got waitlisted at McGill and Ottawa. I think I just keep being too nervous. Also, although genuine, my carefully prepared answers might sometime come across as insincere. Do not worry Peachy, I scooped-up all the bad luck for you:) .

Guest UOMeds05

Very well said tuttifruitti... you have brought up a lot of issues that have really been bothering me with this thread! Thank you for bringing them to the table.

Archived