Premed 101 Forums

Anglo-Ontario applying to French (all 2003 WGPA cutoffs)

Guest camillefr

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest UOMeds06

Tuti,

you're absolutely right. Many points of yours were not considered on my part. Also also agree with you on the point that the French program is designed for people who want to practice in French and those who are looking for another entry point into the med program who have no intension in practicing in French should not believe that this is an option.

Guest UOMeds06

Hi everyone reading this thread,

Please take all information coming from this site with a grain of salt. None of this information is proof read before it is published. All matters discussed are not necessarily confirmed with anyone, and even if it claims to be, please consider that it may have been misinterpreted. The last thing the adcoms at each respective university needs is a wave of calls/emails coming from a bunch of readers of this site to confirm/dismiss any information that came from here. I suggest that you do the necessary research before calling the universities at their busiest time. This is intended to serve as a pre-emptive request and rest assured that I haven't heard of any complaints from anyone....but just trying to keep it that way.

This board has the potential to be the best source of advice you can get and in some cases an excellent source of information, if you can always be aware of your sources! Best of luck to you all, hope to meet you during your interviews!

Guest camillefr

thanks everyone for reading this thread, and making your comments on it. the forum is suppose to raise discussion at least i wish. pls everyone feel free to verify all the information i provided with admissions (ie. french GPAs per regional category, that some anglophones are in french program every year (visit ottawa u- why not), that exams are bilingual, that all french and english lecture notes are online and so on...). The only data I did not confirm with admissions commitee is that about 70-80 french interviews are conducted. i did not verify this information yet (very busy with honours project).

another thing i want to clarify something with everyone: this thread is meant to help anglo-ontario who genuinely love to study and practice in french and to tell them about it. it is great opportunity for us!!! maybe the moderators can confirm the french gpas when they get a chance and the number of french interviews. thanks everyone again for constructive comments.

Guest Biochem10

I would love to become a bilingual doctor, unfortunetly I don't feel completely comfortable interviewing in French (hence I did not apply), however, I am doing some volunteer work in a french hospital and it's definetly helping me improve. Growing up in Toronto and going to French immersion probably didn't give me enough conversational french practice to apply to a bilingual programme.

Hi everyone,

Long time since I've posted.... Great to be back.

I would like to add to UofOMeds'06's point of taking everything here with a grain of salt. There has been, especially in this thread, a lot of misleading information that has been posted. In all honestly, I don't think anyone really knows the real statistics. In fact, as many of the moderators have posted, there are only good estimates rather than hard facts.

The truth is, is that once you have an interview, despite all the numbers and odds and chances, it is ALL UP TO YOU. You are the deciding vote, and whether you have a 5 % or 50 % chance of getting in, doesn't matter a damn if you don't work at preparing for the interview.

What can be said, is that the interview at Ottawa counts for a lot. After the interview, you are given an interview score out of 4. The scores are at increments of 0.25, thus you can get 4.0, 3.75, 3.5 etc..... Applicants are then ranked by their GPA within each interview score...

So if they take all 4.0 scores, then rank according to GPA, and do the same for each successive interview score.

The bottom line is the interview is HUGE, and with a little work, acheiving a 4.0 is not hard at all.

I really hope this helps out.

To the U of O moderators, GOOD JOB on keeping the integrity of this forum.

V

Guest camillefr

thanks again for all your different comments. i am definately preparing for my french interview coming soon. i am certainly busy brushing up my french, but i am confident that i will be successful.

V, I wonder if you would share what you mean by preparing for the interview. I'm a strong applicant with very weak interviewing skills, and I'm somewhat mystified as how anybody can make themselves into a great interviewee if they prepare!

Guest UOMeds06

The only thing that you could really work on at this point is you delivery (as your content is not likely to change). Delivery makes all the difference in an interview. Organized clear thoughts are always better that round about answers that eventually lead somewhere. Practice makes for a fluid interview. I'd recommend doing some mock interviews with your friends....some people will claim that doing nothing to prepare is the best plan but even if you don't want your answers to sound rehearsed, it wouldn't hurt knowing in advance what you want to say...but don't memorize any speeches!

Good luck!

Guest camillefr

If you applying to the french program and you are anglo-ontario, then watch french tv, listen to french radio, read french newspapers, magazines and journals, and practice, practice, practice speaking french with francophones.

So how to "prepare" for an interview

1. Read the Globe and Mail or National Post everyday, to keep on top of current events. Keep an eye out for medical issues/events that may be pertinent, and definately emerge yourself into the articles, enough so that you can form personal views if asked to defend a particular stance. Make sure though, you acknowledge other viewpoints as well.

2. Read the Romanow Report .... not the whole 357 page thing, but the EXECUTIVE SUMMARY as found at http://www.healthcarecommission.ca (look for 'executive summary'). Don't memorize it, but you should form opinions on some points, and list some of what you think are good/bad ideas and why.

3. Know the 5 tenents to the Canada Health Act.... they will never ask you to list them, BUT you sound well-read if you can use them in an answer. I beleive the 5 points are Accesibility, Accountability, Publicily Administration, Portability and .... i forget, but look it up. Knowing how our health care system work is important.... If you are trying to get into the system, you better know what you are getting into.

4. When answering ethical questions, always look at the situation from an OBJECTIVE standpoint at first... ie. look at both sides of the situation.

For example, I always answered them like .... "well, thats definately a difficult situation. On one hand I can see...... However, I can also see....."

They want to see that you can look at such situations and understand the DILEMMA... thats why its an ETHICAL situation. If they press you, then you can continue and say

" After seeing/acknowledging these two issues, I believe..."

NOTE: this is just how I did it. Many other people have there own personalized way of answering. Please take this with a grain of salt.

5. Know the school. Talk to current students, go on the web, etc. You need understand their curriculum (each school is different) and why you are a good CANDIDATE for THAT program. Not every student can succeed in every program, and you have to show your interviewers that you know what kind of program you are getting into. Also, it is nice to have a student who really wants to go to their school, rather than it being their last choice.

6. Know yourself. Know what you have done, and what you have gained from it. Important lessons or interesting stories are always nice. Also, introspection is key.... know your strengths and WEAKNESSES (please do not say Over-acheiver !!!!). What makes you ---- you?

7. HAVE FUN AT THE INTERVIEW. The best interviews (from what I have heard) are those that feel like conversations, where the applicant is key to orienting the direction the interview will go. Engage the interviewer's by keeping eye contact to ALL OF THEM, and not just the one that asked you the question. Also, monotone is BORING. Keep a lively and upbeat tempo, as I'm sure many of you will be the 5000th person they have interviewed. Also, SMILE. Its a very powerful tool that is underestimated by many.

I hope these help. Please don't over analyse what I have posted. These are just tidbits that I used during last years interview circuit.

I know all of you will do fine. Dont underestimate your interview capabilities (on the same token, don't overestimate them either). Be prepared is important, but being yourself is of paramount importance.

From the O-Dot, I'm the V dot reporting live from PBL.

Guest Biochem10

V, Thanks for all the information. Not to be anal or anything, but if I'm not mistaken I think "Accountability" is not one of the 5 principles in the Canada Health Act, Romannow suggested that it become one in his report. I think the other two are Universal (although I never really understood how accessibility and universality were different) and Comprehensive coverage, but I could be wrong. Another good source of information is CIHI, Canadian Institute of Health Information, they have tons of statistics regarding health care spending etc.

P.s I'm not a keener (I swear!), I took a Health in Society class last semester.

Guest UOMeds06

accessibility I believe refers to the fact that health care should be reasonably accessible throughout canada despite your location etc. Universality refers to equal health care being available to everyone. Can't remember if this is correct, it's been a year since I last took anything involving this subject. Good luck

Guest camillefr

i also heard the french program has an advantage over english program in that they have more one on one with a doctor since they are a smaller group in year 1 and 2.

Guest UOMeds06

The franco class definitely has some perks! For their version of physician skills development, often times they are paired up with doctors on a 1 on 1 basis as opposed to 4 on 1 with the anglo class. They get more clinical exposure in the 1st semester as part of their curriculum....it is otherwise the same. I must admit, I was jealous last semester!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest camillefr

Last year I applied as anglo-ontario, this year I applied as franco-ontario applicant (i.e. I indicated mother tongue as french on omsas application)

They ask similar questions-no real difference except the last question they asked was: if we accept you at u of o, will you study in french and of course I said yes with lots of enthusiam!!! they said it like they want me!!!

They knew that I was anglophone from Ontario. Just like my anglo-ontario med friends already in french program at ottawa said to me, the interviewers understood it and appreciated it. overall I feel the FRENCH interview went SUPER! the BEST!!!people scared me for nothing even my friends hehehe.

now the long wait... i will get accepted!!! (I m confident!!!) I m a positive guy hehehe

I will write down all my questions later so I can help others but now i need to chill for a bit hehehe.

Good luck!

OTTAWA guy soon bilingual ottawa doc!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest camillefr

the admission office told me today you can do your clinical rotations in english even if you are in french program. they have an open policy for now.

good luck everybody on the finals!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived