Premed 101 Forums

Anglo-Ontario applying to French (all 2003 WGPA cutoffs)

Guest camillefr

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest camillefr

ok i read ur response in interview thread.

u never know how well u did. i had friends who really screwed up their interview and got in and others who thought they aced the interview and did not get accepted. so u never know.

Guest camillefr

bonus for the french! the french program has a moch pratical exam before the real thing when medstudents come back from summer for 3rd year. anglos do not. i wish i knew that earlier, i could have mentionned that in my interview. awesome! just a little over a month left before we find out....

Guest camillefr

i got homework to do now. avenir raised a good point in opp thread. all i know are the franco gpa cutoffs in 2003 and the approximate number of french interviews. but i dont know what happens after you meet your french regional cutoff. what happens then? coming soon.

Guest cali

Hello,

I am new to this site and was just browsing.

I am hoping for some advice.

Would it be possible to apply into the French program as a BC resident.

I was in the Programme Cadre (for kids with parents who speak french) in elementary school and them French Immersion in high school. I spent my last summer in Montreal and miss French so much.

I am not 100% confident about my french at the moment, but I know with practice I will be fluent once again. It took a couple of weeks in Montreal to get back into things.

My mother's tongue is not French; it was my second language second to cantonese. My mother is also fluent in French; therefore, I learned french pretty much as a toddler.

So, do you think I could apply? Or will they just tell me that I can only apply into the Anglophone pool.

I honestly would love to go through med school in French...there are not many Francophone Drs. in BC and it would be awesome to be one of the few!

Guest camillefr

yes.

when i asked admissions this fall, they said your french will be tested in the interview. if you suck, you will be considered anglophone hehehe. bottom line!

I am anglo-ontarion and I applied this year as franco-ontarion. med school knows i am really anglophone. no problem. they gave me the interview this year and my interview went well!

good luck!

Guest cali

Camillefr,

Thank you for your reply.

May I please ask how confident are you with French? Did you do French Immersion...do you speak french with your family, etc...

As well, why is the admission committee alright with the fact that you are actually anglophone?

Glad to hear your interview went great...good luck!

Guest camillefr

1st question.

i m from ottawa and did french immersion in high school. the rest in english. i feel fairly confident (anglo-ontarion accent though)

2nd question.

welcome to ottawa u! it is bilingual and it is seeking to promote bilingualism in the country. francophones can apply to the anglophone program and anglophones can apply to the francophone program so long their language skills are proficient enough. BUT if you are applying to the francophone program as a Franco-Ontarion and/or Programme National just so you can make the lower GPA cutoffs (i.e toronto anglo or kingston anglo), THE FACULTY AND STUDENTS WILL HATE YOU! That's the bottom line from all my research on the francophone program so far! Make sure your intentions are sincere otherwise you will be kicking your heels later.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest camillefr

another important pt- i feel confident with my french immersion in ontario but did the faculty like my anglo-ontario french? i dont know yet. i will let you know may 31.

Archived