Premed 101 Forums

US ObGyn residency - practice in Canada?

tyche

I'm a Canadian IMG thinking of applying to the US for ObGyn residency.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to return to Canada after this? I know the US programs are only 4 years, but the RCPSC doesn't outright reject this training (http://rcpsc.medical.org/information...&submit=Select - "specialty training requirements"). That being said, I'm just not sure if, in reality, it's nearly impossible, or if generally it's not a problem. Anyone have any idea, or any personal experience?

As you have already gleaned, you'd be seeking the Royal College's approval to sit the Royal College exams, as thus be eligible for licensure by the provincial Colleges. (You will need the LMCC exams in order to make this application). Your question (I think - and it's a good one) is whether the 4-year OBGYN residency in the US is equivalent to the 5-year Canadian one, in the eyes of the Royal College.

Short answer: Contact the Royal College and ask.

This is a crazy-important question if you indeed wish to return. Get it from the horse's mouth. Preferably in writing.

Under some circumstances, some provinces may be willing to offer conditional (restricted) licensure to US-trained physicians eligible for full licensure in the US (e.g. you've passed the US OBGYN board exams). This is likely to be contingent on your filling a desperate need e.g. working in an perennially underserviced area. It does not confer full licensure, and in most cases the LMCCs and Royal College exams must still be passed within a certain time period (usually 2-3 years). The conditional license also may NOT be recognized by any other province (e.g. you're stuck in that province). Ontario offers conditional/restricted licensure through the fourth pathway, but there are considerable restrictions placed upon it, and making these "exceptions to the rule" are also likely dependent upon provincial need (e.g. if they don't need you, they aren't likely to bother bending the rules to license you).

Summary: If you'd like to return to Canada, find out about that equivalency from the Royal College. Assuming this is not a problem, plan to write the LMCCs and the Royal College exams. Makes life a whole lot easier in the long run (you can be fully and independently licensed in any and all provinces, and have full mobility).

I think (and don't quote me on this) that all US training accredited by the ACGME is considered to satisfy the Royal College requirements in terms of being sufficient quality. However, you will need to tailor your electives and your rotations to match up exactly with RC requirements. Ob/gyne is four years in the US, 5 here, so you'd need an extra year (likely a fellowship). However, even this (a fellowship) is not a guarantee to get approval to sit the RC exams because the exact number of months needed for certain areas of ob/gyne may not be met through this route. It's best to sit down with the RC and have them spell out exactly what rotations you need for how many months and work it out with your ob program in the US. Do it before you start your residency, otherwise you'd be in for a shock trying to come back to Canada.

• 3 months later...

Hey Folks

Any update on the process yet? Has anyone contacted the Royal College to get further clarifications yet?

I am a Canadian who has finished his MD from a Caribbean medical school and starting residency in US for Obstetrics and Gynecology (4 year residency) and I was wondering about the entire process of return to practice in Canada.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Archived