Premed 101 Forums

2010/2011 Applicant Discussion Thread

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time that I applied for UBC MD, there was no minimum GPA requirement. Sorry about the confusion.

Best of luck.

Bahman

2013 MD Candidate, UBC

https://sites.google.com/site/ubcmdprep/

I don't think you read what I wrote. I am referring to my own situation in particular as an example.

My GPA drops by 8% when the 10-yr rule is not applied. It puts me BELOW the 75% cutoff for a full file review. This is despite my 7.5/9 GPA at UVic in the last 3 yrs.

I would like you to read again and understand what I am saying- I would need about (a guess here) a 6-point jump in NAQ to gain an interview. I've done a lot in my lifetime, but that's pretty much an impossible feat.

I maintain that I am a great candidate with a strong base for a medical career, but I will not be able to apply to UBC if this is taken away and not replaced.

I'm not the only one in this situation, either.

Please read what I wrote and try to understand how it literally makes admission an impossibility for many very good applicants.

I'm putting an over/under out there to the applicants on what date interview notifications will be sent out... The info on the site says Late November... so

let's say Nov 20th 2010. Over or Under?

If you want to get specific throw a date down...

ie. I'm going to say under and I'll say we find out by Nov 19th...

just thought i'd point out that the notification dates were released and sure enough my over/under date was smack in the middle... hmmm... how did i know that...

just thought i'd point out that the notification dates were released and sure enough my over/under date was smack in the middle... hmmm... how did i know that...

So the letter release dates are Nov 17 - 23, does anyone know why this isn't an all-in-one day release? Are they giving a range of dates to give themselves a buffer zone of a few days (meaning it will all be released at once) or to allow the interview and rejection emails be sent out separately?

I'm already super nervous wondering about my application, so hopefully it comes out closer to the 17th than 23rd! This was also my first med school application EVER so I don't really know if I put enough effort or whatever into it. I was honest though and I guess that's the most important thing?

does it irk anyone else that we had to submit the UBC app a month before OMSAS, but acceptances/rejections come out a week later than OMSAS? what the crap UBC? haha

Taken from the UBC Medicine website:

"Beginning with the 2011/2012 application cycle, only those activities which have been started before the application opening date will be included in the non-academic evaluation of a file. Activities started, or hours logged after the application opens will not be included in any file evaluation."

I just thought I would bump this thread with a bit of a change for next years application. So, not only is the due date aug 15, but now the stipulation on EC's means that you can't include anything started after the application opens in June...

So, for those of you planning on applying again (if you don't get in this year) now would be the time to start cultivating another crop of EC's to build the application. It's almost as if you have to plan on not getting in this year in order to have a chance at next year.

Talk about a process!

Just thought I'd post a little countdown to notifications and interviews... and admissions...

36 days until notifications go out*

123 days until first day of interviews!

213 days until notifications of acceptance/waitlist/regrets...

*assuming Nov 17 as per the UBC website timeline.

Just thought I'd post a little countdown to notifications and interviews... and admissions...

36 days until notifications go out*

123 days until first day of interviews!

213 days until notifications of acceptance/waitlist/regrets...

*assuming Nov 17 as per the UBC website timeline.

I am so excited!

On a side note- I started cultivating ECs even before the app deadline this year, but I am SO concerned about the 10-yr-rule. It's nerve-wracking.

Hopefully I'm successful this year!

(sorry this post is all abut me :o )

If your activities have changed or you just recently started an activity (i.e. varsity badminton; tryouts were right after the september 1st deadline), is there any possible way to notify the admission committee of this change? (or maybe at this point it is no longer relevant...)

Thanks!

it won't matter... they only consider events and EC's that occur prior to the application deadline.

and next year they will only consider events that occur up until the application opens.

however, you could keep the varsity badminton as a piece for next years application. also, if you played badminton competitively you could have worked it into your application as an EC regardless of it being varsity. Did you ever go to provincials, nationals, play for a provincial team, club team, win an award for playing... you could also have included it for just being a part of the team as this was probably a serious part of your life if you were able to make the varsity team.

if you did that then having the varsity portion added probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but either way if you don't make it in this year it will be something you can use next year!

Archived