Premed 101 Forums

2010/2011 Applicant Discussion Thread

overall it was a lot of fun :)...that mandatory session didn't drag on and on so that was nice...there were def a few stations where i thought...damn...the interviewer must think i'm so stupid right now lol

I had a blast at UBC's interview! I can't say how I did... but I thought it was such a wonderful experience. I was at 8am on Saturday. I really liked the way they set up each station and the questions/etc asked

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I for one really think my interview could not have gone more horribly. The essays were okay, but I was sitting in silence at three of the stations (and I'm talking like 3 minutes of silence). I'm usually good at gauging responses from people and none of the interviewers were really giving me too much love. Oh well, I can start prepping for next year I guess...

So I for one really think my interview could not have gone more horribly. The essays were okay, but I was sitting in silence at three of the stations (and I'm talking like 3 minutes of silence). I'm usually good at gauging responses from people and none of the interviewers were really giving me too much love. Oh well, I can start prepping for next year I guess...

Maybe that's because you've answered everything that they want to hear already?

..that mandatory session didn't drag on and on so that was nice...

Lol! I was clearly with super keeners-they said the session before mine asked like no questions and my session asked so many they had to cut off the questions even though there was more left!!! I was surprised as I'd thought everyone would be too tired to ask questions at that point but apparently not...

but I was sitting in silence at three of the stations (and I'm talking like 3 minutes of silence)

I finished early at many stations too. Some interviewers made a point of telling me that the score isn't affected by how quickly you finish because some people just get their point across more succinctly and some questions don't warrant the same amount of time. I actually didn't like the stations where I was cut off by the bell because I felt like I still hadn't gotten my point across.

lol...i asked a question in mine :rolleyes:

Lol! I was clearly with super keeners-they said the session before mine asked like no questions and my session asked so many they had to cut off the questions even though there was more left!!! I was surprised as I'd thought everyone would be too tired to ask questions at that point but apparently not...

Sometimes it just takes one person to break the ice and then everyone follows with questions/comments. :)

Its ok FMX. The uncertainity is inevitable for just about everyone I think. I am re-evaulating and now think I could have done so much better but I cant imagine doing this until May13th so I decided to forget everything!

But from the little practice we had, i know you did just fine :) Best of luck to you and everyone else! (K-Doc, Mayan, TankMasterFlex, hking, applesauce, dcgirl and everyone else

Agree :) Hope to see you guys again..! It's been a pleasure meeting and chatting with each of you - I can't imagine what it would be like to practice mmi's again without you guys :( .. I honestly had a lot of fun this year :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The applicant will have the opportunity to indicate their site preferences after their interview. Members of the Selection Committee are not aware of an applicant’s site preference during the selection discussions. Following an admissions decision, applicants offered admission are allocated to sites based on their preferences. The site choice of the accepted student is given priority, unless the available positions at that site have been filled, in which case he/she would be wait-listed for a preferred site(s). Acceptance of admission to the MD undergraduate program is site specific.

So, this quote above was taken from the UBC Medicine Evaluation Criteria Section...

Seems like this year was the exception, but it is clearly stated on the website that if your site is full you will be waitlisted... I wonder if this will still be an issue for the next application cycle.

So, this quote above was taken from the UBC Medicine Evaluation Criteria Section...

Seems like this year was the exception, but it is clearly stated on the website that if your site is full you will be waitlisted... I wonder if this will still be an issue for the next application cycle.

so many changes to be made ahhh ubc ;)

From what you've cut and pasted, it seems to me that you might be waitlisted for a particular site while perhaps being offered your second choice. It is not clear though. but it seems only fair that the top 288 get spots whether they are theor 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices

From what you've cut and pasted, it seems to me that you might be waitlisted for a particular site while perhaps being offered your second choice. It is not clear though. but it seems only fair that the top 288 get spots whether they are theor 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices

This sounds more reasonable.

I think that's how it is now. One of my friends was accepted, but given Victoria and waitlisted for Vancouver.

Once someone from Vancouver left, my friend was able to transfer that summer to the Vancouver program (all before the start of 1st year in August).

the deal last year was- you had 3 sites to choose from... you select your top 2. if you were in the top 256 you had about a 92% chance of getting your first choice. if it was full you were offered your 2nd choice, if that was full you were passed over for someone below you who chose a site that was still open. that was verified with the adcoms... it was rare, but it had happened a few times before.

this year, they had the same deal except 4 sites to choose from... after the interview weekend they released a note saying that if you chose a site and it was full, but you were in the top 288 they would put you in a different site even if you didn't rank it.

that was a pretty big exception and based on what i quoted above it seems likely that they will go back to the old rule... if you choose your two sites and they are both full you will be waitlisted until a spot comes up.

sorry if i wasn't clear when i originally posted...

http://www.med.ubc.ca/media/201104/Surrey_Memorial_Hospital_becomes_UBC_s_latest_Clinical_Academic_Campus.htm

Christy Clark + $512 Million + Surrey = New Clinical Academic Campus/Hospital Reno's.

Surrey Memorial is a crappy hospital at the moment. I should know, I've volunteered there. Hopefully turning it into an academic teaching centre will improve its quality of care.

Archived