Premed 101 Forums

2010/2011 Applicant Discussion Thread

When I applied in 07/08 I was not given a student number. When I applied in 08/09 I was given one (but didn't know it). I now see that this application I submitted has the same student number as the one I submitted in 08/09, it must have automatically done this as I didn't enter one.

cool. i applied in 09/10, but didn't see a number, i'll look more carefully next time i open up my application....thanks:D

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I submitted a few days ago, but in retrospect I should have waited. I had to send two amendment emails already =( I'm now worried about how this will look...one's on verifier contacts and the other is a big one...on Contact Title as I managed to put salutations instead...

First application.

why orgo? :confused:

Organic chem 2 = course-in-progress for me

It's good. I'll ace it. :D

I am really looking forward to going to Edmonton for the labs. The waterpark at west ed mall is the best! Love waterslides!

My attempt to sleep in this morning was hijacked by my animals deciding that they were really important at 6am. At the moment, all 3 of us are together in bed. :)

6am is better than 5, though!

I feel a void in my life now that my application has been sent off... I've been building it up in my head for years and now it's over... I felt like I would enjoy it more.

However, it is nice to not stress about the application and what information I wanted to convey... now I get to stress about what the adcom will think of me...

Applying to medical school is like trying to date someone who is way out of your league- you try and figure out what they like in a person, determine whether or not you are that person, modify and acquire skills as needed, then you present yourself and await judgement...

That's a good analogy- "like trying to date someone who is way out of your league".

Someone said on here we should "enjoy the application journey".... I've enjoyed it 4x so far and still no interview. :P

I'll get in eventually.

Ok, so here is something funny for people to laugh about-

last year they did not apply the 10-yr rule to my application and prob should have (lesson learned- read all the directions!). As a result they didn't look at my last 60cr, just my overall GPA. Last year, with only an oGPA scored, my AQ score was...

6.6/25

Yep. I can only laugh.

They introduced that minimum 75% rule last year after I applied, and without my bad marks from 1999 dropped I didn't clear that barrier, so they didn't do a full file review, but somehow I still had my NAQs scored? Anyways. I will get in eventually. I'm just trying to tell people to not give up hope!

That's a good analogy- "like trying to date someone who is way out of your league".

Someone said on here we should "enjoy the application journey".... I've enjoyed it 4x so far and still no interview. :P

I'll get in eventually.

Ok, so here is something funny for people to laugh about-

last year they did not apply the 10-yr rule to my application and prob should have (lesson learned- read all the directions!). As a result they didn't look at my last 60cr, just my overall GPA. Last year, with only an oGPA scored, my AQ score was...

6.6/25

Yep. I can only laugh.

They introduced that minimum 75% rule last year after I applied, and without my bad marks from 1999 dropped I didn't clear that barrier, so they didn't do a full file review, but somehow I still had my NAQs scored? Anyways. I will get in eventually. I'm just trying to tell people to not give up hope!

What was the overall GPA for that score if you don't mind sharing (PM is fine too)? And why wouldn't they score your last 60 credits? I thought that was routinely done for all?

What was the overall GPA for that score if you don't mind sharing (PM is fine too)? And why wouldn't they score your last 60 credits? I thought that was routinely done for all?

They said that I did not receive a full file review because I was below the (then non-public) 75% threshold.

71.52% was my overall.

By my estimate, using the lowest of the percent bracket for each grade, I should have gotten a 73%, so somehow in the grade conversion I lost 1.4%. It's really hard to figure out where in my case though, because I have courses from 5 institutions.

Also remember that I was expecting more like 82-83%- I still would have applied but I would not have expected an interview.

Let that be a lesson kids- read all the directions carefully!

I'm not ashamed of my marks in the slightest. The experience made me a better person and allowed me to go on to do the things I have done. I'm totally willing to share.

kyla- you'll get in!

as for the person who said enjoy the experience- it was ryanmaverick... i won't tell you where he got it from though... :)

oh, and i'm glad you appreciated my analogy- i told my fiancee about it because i thought it was a very valid comparison and she said- yeah, you'd think you would be used to that feeling, you've been dating someone out of your league for years...

she didn't actually say that, but it would have been cool if she did.

kyla- you'll get in!

as for the person who said enjoy the experience- it was ryanmaverick... i won't tell you where he got it from though... :)

oh, and i'm glad you appreciated my analogy- i told my fiancee about it because i thought it was a very valid comparison and she said- yeah, you'd think you would be used to that feeling, you've been dating someone out of your league for years...

she didn't actually say that, but it would have been cool if she did.

LOL- you weren't the one a few weeks ago who asked if "dating a girl way too hot for me" is appropriate to put in high performance?

LOL- you weren't the one a few weeks ago who asked if "dating a girl way too hot for me" is appropriate to put in high performance?

That gem was from me. I decided to save it for an interview pearl instead.

Edit: The "enjoying the application experience" is all hking03 though. I'm not clever enough to come up with something like that.

That gem was from me. I decided to save it for an interview pearl instead.

Edit: The "enjoying the application experience" is all hking03 though. I'm not clever enough to come up with something like that.

Aww mav,

It's an achievement worth noting if you can wrangle a beauty!

Seriously, I latched onto one like a barnicle- she wouldn't be able to get rid of me if I

Oh, and as for "enjoying the process of applying"... I did say it, but I'd like to recommend a movie that planted the idea in my head (no it wasn't inception) "The Peaceful Warrior"... Overall, not the best movie, but it had some moments of pontification in it.

Speaking of movies and tv... Would it be possible to put "watching countless episodes of "Sex and The City" under service ethic... I know I didn't get paid to do it and I certainly didn't enjoy it... Well, maybe a little ;).

I apologize- I think I have gotten the 2 of you mixed up recently. Not sure why. You both have boys in jackets in your av?

I'll get my av up soon, but it's on my school computer in the Big City of Victoria.

It's funny you would mix us up... Mavs and I both agreed that we are very similar in terms of applications and basic demographic information.

Yes. We both have boys with leather jackets... The difference is mavs is Tom Cruise... But who is mine... Could it be me? It could be...

It's funny you would mix us up... Mavs and I both agreed that we are very similar in terms of applications and basic demographic information.

Yes. We both have boys with leather jackets... The difference is mavs is Tom Cruise... But who is mine... Could it be me? It could be...

Well, both the avs are kinda hot. :D

I think your writing styles might be similar too. Interesting.

Again, I apologize- I like to keep people straight in my own head.

You live in an awesome area- great trail running nearby on the DV trails!

OK, so it's been a week!

Has anyone else had one of those "agggh!" moments when you realised something you forgot to include, or wrote down wrong?

I have 2 minor ones. Neither are a big deal, but... :(

I really want to start something over in the interviews discussion thread. Meet me there. :D

You haven't posted anything in the interview thread yet!!!!!

- Lupe

Archived