Premed 101 Forums

2010/2011 Applicant Discussion Thread

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I haven't been declined yet!

I just need to keep this status for 7.75 more months and I'm in the clear baby.

Just classic!

Isn't it crazy how long this whole process takes. I know in the grand scheme of things that sept-may isn't that long, but it is so draining to have to wait. It's like I'm pregnant with med school applications and May 15 is my due date... I better not be late... or early for that matter. Granted... if my date of conception was sept 1 (or submission deadline) the baby/med school acceptance would be considered slightly early... but for the sake of this thread let's just say conception fell exactly 9 months before May 15.

Just classic!

Isn't it crazy how long this whole process takes. I know in the grand scheme of things that sept-may isn't that long, but it is so draining to have to wait. It's like I'm pregnant with med school applications and May 15 is my due date... I better not be late... or early for that matter. Granted... if my date of conception was sept 1 (or submission deadline) the baby/med school acceptance would be considered slightly early... but for the sake of this thread let's just say conception fell exactly 9 months before May 15.

what if you are expecting twins :P

It's nice seeing a lot of supportive comments from fellow applicants.

On another note, I just received my MCAT marks and it's 9PS/10VR/10BS ®. Considering I'm IP for UBC, is this a safe score? I know they set minimum cutoffs but I looked at the statistics for those being accepted and though I'm above it for the WS and VR sections, my scores are for the most part below average. This kinda makes me worry a little given higher and higher levels of competition each year, oh well.

Good luck to all of us!

It's nice seeing a lot of supportive comments from fellow applicants.

On another note, I just received my MCAT marks and it's 9PS/10VR/10BS ®. Considering I'm IP for UBC, is this a safe score? I know they set minimum cutoffs but I looked at the statistics for those being accepted and though I'm above it for the WS and VR sections, my scores are for the most part below average. This kinda makes me worry a little given higher and higher levels of competition each year, oh well.

Good luck to all of us!

I think those scores are fine for UBC. It won't be what keeps you out. GL

Just classic!

Funny- I once had a strange dream. I dreamed that my sister couldn't get pregnant, so I offered to be her surrogate. I went to interviews 7 mo pregnant and I told them "It isn't mine..."

I'm really starting to stress about my grades. UVic students are so heavily punished when applying. I KNEW this, but I didn't really crunch the numbers until recently. All the courses at UVIc I've taken, I get an 83.6% average. Sounds good, right? Wrong. I have a feeling I will be in the 78-81% range when all is said and done.

I am recommending to several youth that they do not attend UVic if they're trying to go to UBC med. I'm starting to think that I have a way better shot at some of the ON schools (Queen's specifically). I'm scared. And my back hurts.

I've written a new MMI question and it'll be ging in the MMI 2011 thread tonight. Sorry for my tardiness. I actually have no clue how the MMIs work, so if someone can help me out by sending links/information from experience I would be grateful.

I've gotta say, this thread is pretty handy. I was actually wondering, if you get an interview one year, how likely are you to get an interview the following year? Of course, this assumes your grades haven't changed and you've continued volunteering. Also, has anyone heard of NAQ's dropping even after doing more extra-curriculars? And if so, usually by how much?

NAQs are pretty random what I've seen. I've seen 19 one year go to a 16 and a 12 to a 16. It all depends who is reading your file, how you "worded" things, and a number of uncontrollable factors.

Short answer is that you are probably likely to get an interview in a repeat application year, but there is a chance that it won't happen. I'm guessing this answer is exactly what you thought the answer was going to be too.

I have a question:

I know that the people who review everyone's applications are considered members of the ADCOM.

But who are these members? Faculty? Staff? Volunteers? Senior Students? or all of the above?

I'm just curious as to who it is that ACTUALLY sits down and reviews the files of applicants.

- Lupe

I have a question:

But who are these members? Faculty? Staff? Volunteers? Senior Students? or all of the above?

I'm just curious as to who it is that ACTUALLY sits down and reviews the files of applicants.

- Lupe

Well, I know at least one member is staff- as in they work for UBC Medicine. I've also heard that physicians in the community were members of the adcom... however, they may have been a part of the interview panel- like moo is now involved with the MMI portion of the application process.

I have a question:

I know that the people who review everyone's applications are considered members of the ADCOM.

- Lupe

Ok- lets do this as an exercise. Let's say there are 1800 apps to review (rounded for simplicity), and there are about 60 business days (Sept-Nov) to review them all. Then 30 must be reviewed per day.

Let's also assume they are using a rubric to assess the NAQ section. This keeps it as fair as possible.

You could have 6 ppl in the office, and each would have to review 5 apps are day.

It doesn't make sense to train faculty or senior students or volunteers to follow this rubric and review all of these. It would be in the best interests of the school to have a small, core group of well-trained people who are each reviewing large numbers of these apps. That keeps it as fair as possible.

That's my guess- it's just based on logic.

I really honestly think that you could have 10-20 people in an office, and they would be pretty busy. Sept-Nov, reviewing apps. Dec-Feb, interview process logistics. Feb-May, reviewing candidates who have interviewed. May-Sept, Admission offers, waitlists, answering questions from applicants.

People who wonder where your $135+ goes, that would be it.

Of course, I run my own business and I know how long it takes to do everything. :P

I am kind of stressed right now about my chances for this year. Logically looking at it, I think I have a 50-50 shot at an interview. I'm soclose to an interview at Queens, so this year I'm preparing for that option as well.

Anyone else stressing unnecessarily?

I think I might have a chance this year for interview also, but as always you never know.

The most recent thing that has me concerned is the 10-year rule. On the admissions site the title is followed by under review in brackets

Exclusion of Early Coursework (Under Review)

I am guessing they might be revising or eliminating this for the upcoming cycle, which would make it nearly impossible for me to be admitted to ubc med!!!

Anyone have any insight into this statement???

I think I might have a chance this year for interview also, but as always you never know.

The most recent thing that has me concerned is the 10-year rule. On the admissions site the title is followed by under review in brackets

Exclusion of Early Coursework (Under Review)

I am guessing they might be revising or eliminating this for the upcoming cycle, which would make it nearly impossible for me to be admitted to ubc med!!!

Anyone have any insight into this statement???

WHAT?!

That would make it impossible for me too. 1998-1999 for me- I think my average is 42%-ish for those 10 courses.

Archived