Premed 101 Forums

Hard Question #4

Here's a Step 1 practice question, which I personally think has a ridiculous answer but maybe it's just me. Let's see!

A demented 83-year-old man is brought to the emergency department from a nursing home because of generalized edema and oliguria. Vital signs are normal. Laboratory studies of serum show a creatinine of 2.1 mg/dL and BUN of 63 mg/dL. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

A. Severe liver disease

B. Low protein intake

C. Acute tubular necrosis

D. Prostatic hyperplasia

E. Congestive heart failure

So the increase in urea is greater than the increase in creatinine, which indicates a prerenal failure. Vital signs are normal.

Could be severe liver disease

Low protein intake wouldn't be acute

Acute tubular necrosis and prostatic hyperplasia aren't prerenal

Congestive heart failure: vitals wouldn't be normal

I go with A

Were you guys thinking of hepatorenal syndrome for severe liver damage?

The answer given is D, prostatic hyperplasia. High BUN:creatinine ratios can occur in postrenal like this case (which I wasn't aware of) and pre-renal azotemia SUPERIMPOSED on renal disease, but not simple pre-renal failure. I thought the answer was CHF (you don't have to have abnormal vitals to have CHF), but apparently simple CHF would not alter the BUN:creatinine ratios?

I've never heard of that, and they didn't say whether the man had prior renal disease or not, so overall I just think this is an awfully written question. Apparently only 13% got it right.

Were you guys thinking of hepatorenal syndrome for severe liver damage?

The answer given is D, prostatic hyperplasia. High BUN:creatinine ratios can occur in postrenal like this case (which I wasn't aware of) and pre-renal azotemia SUPERIMPOSED on renal disease, but not simple pre-renal failure. I thought the answer was CHF (you don't have to have abnormal vitals to have CHF), but apparently simple CHF would not alter the BUN:creatinine ratios?

I've never heard of that, and they didn't say whether the man had prior renal disease or not, so overall I just think this is an awfully written question. Apparently only 13% got it right.

I wasn't necessarily thinking about hepatorenal. Altered liver function could've caused ascites, volume contraction and therefore a prerenal failure.

But I got it wrong anyway lol. Thanks for posting!

Archived