Premed 101 Forums

Patch Adams

bj89

So today in my music therapy class we watched patch adams (my first time seeing it). I think it shows a great insight into the past where paternalistic ideologies were the norm and the humanity component of medicine had not yet emerged, or was simply swept under the rug. It shows the importance and benefit of interpersonal skills in the practice of medicine and has made me realize why med schools these days place increasing emphasis on the humanities and cultural competence/interpersonal skills.

Good movie!

Horrible movie. It shows minimal insight into anything, apart from letting its main character get off scot free for practicing without a licence as a med student. Whatever message was intended was entirely obscured by paper thin caricatures of real people, shameless emotional manipulation, and one of Robin Williams' hammiest performances. The real Patch Adams doesn't even like it.

If you want to take something from Patch Adams (the movie), remember the scene where they're talking to the brittle diabetic with gangrene in the hospital hallway.

It seems bizarre (even cruel), but doctors and med students actually used to treat patients that way. Don't do it.

But also don't practice medicine without a license, steal from the hospital, go visit strange patients at their homes, or humiliate your attending / dean's esteemed colleagues.

Yes, you are correct.

It was entertainment and succeeded as entertainment, it was not a documentary or considered as such by the audience.

That's not accurate. Quite a few people saw it as the story of his life rather than a fictional account based on his life.

It's almost like kids learning who Pocahontas was through the Disney movie.

That's not accurate. Quite a few people saw it as the story of his life rather than a fictional account based on his life.

It's almost like kids learning who Pocahontas was through the Disney movie.

I agree, whether or not a movies are intended to be factual, I think audiences tend to interpret them as accurate stories as long as they are based on true stories/people. Without any evidence, it is foolish to say audiences didn't consider the movie as if it was a kind of documentary.

I actually really liked this movie. Regardless of whether it's factual or not, it really does show that we all need a little more humour in our lives. Is it hammy/over-the-top? Of course! It's Robin Williams for pete's sake! But that's what makes it awesome imo (I'm a huge Robin Williams fan... With movies like Mrs. Doubtfire, Fern Gully, Aladdin, Dead Poest's Society, etc, you can't deny he brings a little extra to the roles he plays.)

Plus, if people are going to believe that that's EXACTLY what happened... Well, that's their own fault. Most of the time when Hollywood says "based on a true story" the only things "based on the true story" are the names, the title, and perhaps the general outcome of events. It's hardly ever EXACTLY like the "true story". It's like the people that think shows like Criminal Minds, CSI, House, Grey's, etc are real representations of what goes on:rolleyes: Or better yet, how about how the WWE is "real"? Lol. It's a movie. It's entertaining. That's why I watch it. Not because I "want to grow up and be just like Robin Williams' Patch Adams" :P

I really love the movie for showing the impact of using humour, play, etc. for people dealing with an illness/injury. A lot of times people who are solely trained in the medical model (although it is getting better) forget the importance of recreation/leisure in someone's life. Obviously you don't want to break any laws as depicted in the movie but I would love for anyone who is going into the medical field to educate themselves in recreation therapy :).

I really love the movie for showing the impact of using humour, play, etc. for people dealing with an illness/injury. A lot of times people who are solely trained in the medical model (although it is getting better) forget the importance of recreation/leisure in someone's life. Obviously you don't want to break any laws as depicted in the movie but I would love for anyone who is going into the medical field to educate themselves in recreation therapy :).

definitely!

• 5 months later...

People take whatever they want to take away from a movie. Personally, I thought it was a wonderful movie and it was the first thing I ever saw that made me think, hey I want to be a doctor one day. I dont really care if others think this is an immature reason to want to become a doctor, everyone else on the forum decided they wanted to for different reasons, but to see humour and medicine mix together like in the movie inspired me to volunteer at my auxiliary when I was 15 and interact with sick people and joke around with them. And, eventually, do as much as I could to help them. On a more personal note, my mom has struggled with sickness for a long time and for the longest time I had no idea what to do. I would just grab her food, pills, whatever she needed but left her alone. But after I saw the movie I started to think, well what if I hung out with her? Watched some tv, told her stories, tried to make her smile. So I started to do that. And I think she really appreciated me being there for her, and even now when she gets sick I'm much more caring when I'm around her because all she wants when she is sick is to feel better. I let her know that whenever she needs to rest i will leave but i think having someone to hang out with helps, if only a tiny bit. It's nice to see her sort of forget she's sick for a little while and not consumed in this sort of dark and gloomy place.

Archived