Premed 101 Forums

Dear Canadian Dental students about back door dental school

Hmmm. One step off the plane in Australia and there will be no looking back! I really wouldn't worry about this, it is so trivial. We have a girl from Australia in our IDDP program and I was like, girl what are you doing here? It will be -40degrees outside in a month! Go home and lay on the beach with a sexy blonde Aussie!!! There are lots of jobs in Canada and GPA and dental skills are not in any way related. Schools just need some sort of system to weed people out. I commend those that are willing to go to great lengths to do what they dream of given their circumstances!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm. One step off the plane in Australia and there will be no looking back! I really wouldn't worry about this, it is so trivial. We have a girl from Australia in our IDDP program and I was like, girl what are you doing here? It will be -40degrees outside in a month! Go home and lay on the beach with a sexy blonde Aussie!!! There are lots of jobs in Canada and GPA and dental skills are not in any way related. Schools just need some sort of system to weed people out. I commend those that are willing to go to great lengths to do what they dream of given their circumstances!

Unfortunately most Canadians don't think like that. I know several who after USyd dentistry got excellent jobs in Australia and they worked here for a year or two, but still decided to go back without even having a job lined up in Canada.

I think once people arrive here all logic goes out the door, and they become dominated by emotions.

Actually, yes! I'd trust a dentist who had a 3.9 average more than some dentist who had a 3.3 in his/her undergrad. Dentists are more than just someone who looks into your mouth and do fillings. They are health care practitioners who has the ability to diagnose variety of abnormalities in a patient's oral cavity, requiring vast knowledge of the maxillofacial area as well as the rest of the body. One has to know not only how to perform certain procedures but when to do those procedures depending on the type of patient you are dealing with and what possible side effects there are, etc! One of the objective way to measure your ability to learn and retain theoretical knowledge is by looking at one's GPA right? And yes, I think a 3.9 and a 3.3 is a big difference! As a patient, if I could, I'd choose the dentist with a 3.9 GPA over the one with 3.3 GPA. Since you don't seem to mind, you can go to the one with 3.3 GPA. :P lol alright, I kinda know what you are trying to get at, but I'm willing to bet that in most cases, higher GPA does make you a better dentist than a lower GPA. It does not make sense to believe that having a lower GPA will make you a better dentist right? So GPA is important! and if Australian and US schools' GPA requirements were even remotely close to that of Canadian schools, this kind of debate wouldn't have started. We are talking not 3.9vs3.8 but rather 3.9 vs 3.0-3.6!

Quality of education across different dental schools is probably similar hence the accreditation status, but not the competitiveness. Simply, Canadian dental schools are much more competitive than most US or Australian dental schools. This is a fact. For those of you taking my words offensive, then get accepted to both Canadian and US/Australian dental school and choose the latter. Then you will have proven me wrong.

I agree. I think that a certain degree of work ethics, a sense of responsibility and good judgment skills (which, on average, should correlate with a high GPA) is required for a good dentist.

Generally, I'd trust a dentist with a high GPA more than a dentist with a low GPA.

I think people are missing some important points here in the discussion

I am a 3rd year student in a US dental school, with a dental school GPA of 3.91

Yes, i agree, i really have to give credits to people who did well in undergraduate and got into Canadians dental school, you guys really deserve it

You guys probably had no bumps on your road (ie relationship problems, health issues, family issues), and Aus/US dental schools give the rest of us a chance to pursue what we really enjoy.

I did screw up really badly during my first/second year of undergraduate due to some rough relationship problem. However, I pulled myself together after that and decided to continue my dreams. I ended up with 3.85 in my 3rd and 4th of studying. Yes, dentists definitely require book smart. However, not everyone with low AVERAGE GPA is not smart, or does not know how to study. Like I said, not everyone's situation is the same.

I have to agree that booksmart alone would not make a good dentist. There are way more involved than just know how to study. Even though my dental school GPA is so high, my clinic work is still only considered to be moderate. Lots of my classmates with lower GPA has better hand skills than me. In my mind, there are all "Better Dentists" than me.

I am not really ashamed of my undergraduate GPA. I learned many valuable lessons from failed experiences. The bad experiences made me mature, and know how to treat people better. Certainly, my patients can care less that i had "bad bumps" during my undergraduate years when I tell them that I rank top 5 in my class.

--not everyone is so fortunate--

Granted, not all of those who try will get in, but consider that India alone graduates 23,000 dentists per year. How many dentists from developing countries might be interested in working in Canada?

I think this is more alarming than maybe a 100-200 Canadian who study dentistry in US or Aus each year.

I be worried when dentist from India , China and ... can start working here, similar situations with engineering careers, then everyone will feel the effect and...

Hi every body,

I can't believe that CANADA does accept Australian dentists and graduates!!!!:eek:

I have a question!:confused:

Can a permanent residence or a citizen of Canada, transfer his/her loan (e.g OSAP) into Australian schools and universities?;)

You all know we can do it for transferring into UK and US.

• 6 months later...

I am a dentist in New Delhi, India and I want to give my 2 cents for this discussion about how the average GPA determines the supremacy of the Universities.

One of the Indian colleges in New Delhi this year had 100% requirement for its Economics program.

Does that mean the college demanding such high percentage is the best in the world? I don't think so !

• 1 year later...

This is sad. I just recently graduated from dentistry at UBC and I cannot find a job anywhere thanks to all this influx. There are now 900 people passing the boards per year. There seems to be no future to Canada dentistry.

I think foreign dentists should just serve their own country rather than creating unemployment and stealing our jobs!

This is sad. I just recently graduated from dentistry at UBC and I cannot find a job anywhere thanks to all this influx. There are now 900 people passing the boards per year. There seems to be no future to Canada dentistry.

I think foreign dentists should just serve their own country rather than creating unemployment and stealing our jobs!

u should thank those people at the top of CDS who opened up back-doors so their kids who're studying in australia can come practise in Canada.

they're CSA (probably a lot of them are children of current/old dentists in control of CDS)

This is simply ridiculous phantombds. You seem to show now shame in stealing other people's jobs. We in Canada work so hard to get into dental school only to have our jobs stolen by Australian graduates.

Thank you FutureGP for your understanding.

this isn't good news for dentists/dental students.

in a market/industry fully controlled by supply/demand with demand being relatively constant, no wonder jobs have been scarce for dental grads/dentists + no wonder new grads are having hard time building up their clientele

Big cities are saturated. If you want a job, think about moving or traveling to smaller cities/towns.

Don't mind phantombds. Clearly he/she is trying to piss you off on purpose. Don't feed trolls.

This is simply the way the world works, ok?

Our unis are supplying way too many dentists these days so there are no jobs for us in Australia. We need to put food on the table as well so that's why we are coming. It is not our fault that Australia dental job market is so poor.

Look online and you can find many references about how our Australian Dental Association is trying to convince our selfish Australian government that there is an oversupply but they are not listening.

Now it seems like you Canadians will have to pay the price for their policy!

Take a look:

https://www.facebook.com/AustralianDentalAssociation

It says "one in five dental students in Australia cannot find work after graduating in 2012."

This is sad. I just recently graduated from dentistry at UBC and I cannot find a job anywhere thanks to all this influx.

no where? Where did you look? It's been from half a year since you graduated I suppose?

On a side note, Canadian graduates also have the option of working in AU/NZ.

What I see here are people who are concerned about their job outlooks and the extra competition is scaring them which is no surprise due to the enormous financial commitment we dental students make to get educated, of course we want job security when we graduate.

The point I will make is this, welcome to the reality of the new world: Globalization. It is happening with every industry, every market, every career. Borders are opening up, markets are now worldwide and competition is fiercer than ever. I'm not saying its morally right, I'm saying it's reality.

Open your eyes and realize that everyone in every career is facing these new challenges. I went into this profession knowing that I will have to work harder, longer and earn less than previous generations of Dentists and will have to make more sacrifices, especially financial ones. Myself? I value the satisfaction of the day to day job more than the other factors, Dentistry as a job appeals to every one of my values, interests and day to day responsibility desires. Do I like profits and job security? Of course I do like everyone else, but is it my primary factor in choosing this career? No.

You can't stop institutions from increasing influx, even though clearly none is needed, because just like Dentistry and everything else, it's a business that has a bottom line.

Something that once was low risk and highly profitable is now high risk and the profitability is highly dependent on your flexibility; are you willing to go into rural areas? Are you willing to work evenings and weekends? Are you willing to work more for less? If not than Dentistry is not for you.

CDent2010 is right! Good on you!

Our prestigious Sydney dental school looks after its bottom line very well. International students here pay like 60,000 per year to get top notch education. They pay the unis money, they learn the dental skills. Education, like dentistry, is a business too. The more customers (the more dental students), the merrier.

Now that our unis are taking all ur international money in return for dental training. We have produced way too many dentists for Australia's needs.

We'll simply have to come steal your jobs in Canada!

What I see here are people who are concerned about their job outlooks and the extra competition is scaring them which is no surprise due to the enormous financial commitment we dental students make to get educated, of course we want job security when we graduate.

The point I will make is this, welcome to the reality of the new world: Globalization. It is happening with every industry, every market, every career. Borders are opening up, markets are now worldwide and competition is fiercer than ever. I'm not saying its morally right, I'm saying it's reality.

Open your eyes and realize that everyone in every career is facing these new challenges. I went into this profession knowing that I will have to work harder, longer and earn less than previous generations of Dentists and will have to make more sacrifices, especially financial ones. Myself? I value the satisfaction of the day to day job more than the other factors, Dentistry as a job appeals to every one of my values, interests and day to day responsibility desires. Do I like profits and job security? Of course I do like everyone else, but is it my primary factor in choosing this career? No.

You can't stop institutions from increasing influx, even though clearly none is needed, because just like Dentistry and everything else, it's a business that has a bottom line.

Something that once was low risk and highly profitable is now high risk and the profitability is highly dependent on your flexibility; are you willing to go into rural areas? Are you willing to work evenings and weekends? Are you willing to work more for less? If not than Dentistry is not for you.

Well, you're using the term "globalization" wrong. In other field/market, it means expanding your business or getting more opportunities in global markets.

But in the case of dentists coming to Canada, it's more of a "avoiding hard work" or "having no option other than coming here".

For people coming from Australian Dental school to practice here in Canada, it's always these two cases

1. Canadians who weren't competitive enough to get admission to canadian dental school (I think this applies to you CDent2010)

2. who are Aussie, but can't find jobs in Australia due to oversaturation in dental feild there.

I feel bad that I am getting complaints about my postings about stealing Canadian jobs.

I feel I should be commended for my postings because I am at least "honest." The oversupply issue for dentists in Australia is COMMON KNOWLEDGE now in Australia. Salaries are going down. Dental chains are monopolizing dentistry. At least I don't go around pretending that Australia is some good place to work as a dentist like other people on these forums.

We Aussies are different from you Canadians, we are honest and we don't lie. When we want to steal your jobs cause the job market at home sucks, we tell you directly. We NEVER lie.

That is why I'm going to come and steal jobs in Canada! Sorry but we NEED to!

I feel bad that I am getting complaints about my postings about stealing Canadian jobs.

I feel I should be commended for my postings because I am at least "honest." The oversupply issue for dentists in Australia is COMMON KNOWLEDGE now in Australia. Salaries are going down. Dental chains are monopolizing dentistry. At least I don't go around pretending that Australia is some good place to work as a dentist like other people on these forums.

We Aussies are different from you Canadians, we are honest and we don't lie. When we want to steal your jobs cause the job market at home sucks, we tell you directly. We NEVER lie.

Of course I have the option of stealing jobs in Singapore but Singapore Dental Council accepts any degrees from Australia, United States, Canada, Ireland and United Kingdom. This is because they are desperate for superior Australians, Americans, Canadians, Irish and British because they feel they are inferior to us and rightly so! But I do not want to end up in an inferior city (which calls itself a country) like Singapore. You know it can't possibly be a good place if they literally recognize every foreign degree but nobody recognizes them!

That is why I'm going to come and steal jobs in Canada! Sorry but we NEED to!

I don't know you are or why you think so highly of yourself, but this is ridiculous. You've made your point about the Australian market and quite frankly nobody on this forum cares. Nobody cares that you are going to come to Canada and "steal" my job, because you'll be out of a job as quick as you find one with that crummy, egocentric and rather racist attitude. In fact, I hope you come to Canada, hopefully you can learn some tolerance of another culture....you are "superior" to nobody. You say I "lie" because I'm Canadian, well I say you're intolerant because you're a hateful person and that you won't last very long in a country very impartial to other cultures

Archived