Premed 101 Forums

any options in Canada?

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if this question (or similar ones) have been asked before, but would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

Basically this is my situation: I have an Hon. BA in Humanities from UofT, with OMSAS gpa of 3.09, and an MA in Humanities from UofT, with all As (only letter grades for the MA). I never carried a full course load in any years of my undergrad (although in some years I was still considered full-time since UofT only requires 3.5 full credit values in a year for that year to be considered fulltime). I have yet to write the MCAT.

Based on these factors (assuming a strong score in the MCAT), is there any possibility of acceptance into any Canadian MD programs? From what I have researched the only option would be McMaster (due to weight of CASPER and MMI) and even so, an extremely slim chance, since they accept very few people in the 3.00 gpa range (not sure if strong Verbal section of MCAT will remedy this).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yep, read through the sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum for grad student policies. Toronto and Queens will give you special consideration as a grad student. You will need to score well on the MCAT though to meet the hard cut-offs at Queens that are 9/10 on VR and Q/R on the written sample.

Outside of that, if you're serious about medicine, you should consider enrolling in a second undergrad degree as you can complete one in two years (depending on program and school) using transfer credits from your first degree. There are several schools (like Queens and UWO) that will look at your last or best two years. The question you would need to ask yourself is if you can meet their GPA cut-offs this time around.

Best of luck, and you've come to the right place for information.:)

Archived