Premed 101 Forums

The Wait

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

I've been pondering for a while how I could possibly cut down on the perceived length of time we have to wait for our interviews...hmmmmmm...my wife surprised me at Christmas with two tickets to Varadero Cuba...sorry...we're leaving next sunday...I think it will be very difficult, though, to not think about the interview while I'm sipping on a nice rum and coke, having some beach fries and listening to the lapping ocean. Oh, and that darn annoying sand!

:b

Peter

Guest Tanya24

Not that I should encourage you :) .... but I hear the rum cake in Cuba is legendary. You can snack away while you're laying on the beach brainstorming "what if" ethical scenarios. Have fun, T.

Guest UOMeds06

Hey Peter,

Got some good news on Wednesday myself. I've been accepted to do an international elective in Brazil! How awesome is that?! Gonna travel south America AND get credit for it! Whoo hoo!

Guest MayFlower1

UOmeds06,

Congrats! Wow, what an experience that will be! Brazil is an amazing place? Where are you going in Brazil? I've been to Belo Horizonte and Brazilia. The design of Brazilia is actually quite interesting. Brazilia was supposed to be a sort of utopian city...it was actually cut out of the jungle...if you look at it from the air, the city has been designed in the shape of an airplane. I can't exactly remember the organization, however, it was something like, the cockpit contained all of the vital workings of the city...residential neighbourhoods occupied the wings or something...anyway, it is quite fascinating.

Kirsteen...I've never heard of "caipirinhas"...I may have eaten some (or had some to drink?)...but I don't remember the name.

Peter

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Peter,

Although the caipirinha is a traditional, supposedly very resfreshing, and hugely potent Brazilian-born cocktail, according to one of my Brazilian pals, it's gained a huge resurgence in Europe and hereabouts' cocktail lounges. Some evidence: just yesterday there was a caipirinha recipe embedded within one of the Globe and Mail columns.

I'm not sure if Canadian liquor vendors sell the Brazilian rum that's named in a typical caipirinha recipe, but if anyone is looking for ideas for something fun for an upcoming soiree, then enjoy the following:

www.maria-brazil.org/caipirinha.htm

Cheers!

Kirsteen

Hey UOMeds06,

International elective!! This is indeed exciting news! You're going to have a blast! The South American people, especially the youth, are very vibrant and their culture is warm and full of spirit!

I'm curious, how does this elective work? I mean, when are you taking this elective? For how long? What kinds of elective courses are u able to take, and where are you able to go?

Is this the same as the "enrichment" courses? I was always excited and curious about the "enrichment" courses offered at the U of O, but I was never able to get a lot of detailed info about them.

Any info would be appreciated!

Guest UOMeds06

Hey Everyone,

Now I've got a tasty looking drink to look forward too...to be honest, I had never heard of it before....my mouth is already salivating.

I get to rank 4 cities in Brazil....not all of them are listed as choices though. I have yet to rank them and will probably get to that tonight!

International electives can be arranged by the international federation for medical students (which makes up an acronym that I don't remember). About 6 people were selected from the UofO (and probably similar at other Universities). They take care of most of the organization but you are also welcome to organize your own. Electives are considered "enrichment" experiences as you so eloquently put it, so you can really do anything. You'll learn all about them in September. There's really no restriction to what you can or cannot do. Our curriculum allows for LOTS of time to do them.

I'm still totally psyched about going....It feels so good knowing that I'll be travelling again this summer and also being very productive!

Thanks for your interest folks!

UOMeds06

Archived