Premed 101 Forums

job question

Guest swimmer

Guest swimmer

Hey in the Employment section, it asks you to describe the number of years you worked....but what if it was a summer job i.e. you worked there for 4 months.....do you still put it down???

what do you put it as? 1/3 of a year or 4 months?

4 months sounds better though but is it necessary??

thanks

Guest Tanya24

That's what I did with my summer jobs. If I did it for one summer, I entered "1 year" and then specified "summer" in the summer/academic year box. I think that's appropriate. If there's any quetion about it, they can just look at the duration ie. June 2002 - Aug 2002 and the question will be answered. That's just my 2 cents.

Guest stressed

Hi,

Is it necessary to indicate the amount of time spent at a job since it's already showing up in the 'duration' box? I'd rather not have to go back and add stuff (I haven't submitted yet....too chicken!) but if I need to change something, I should probably do it soon!

Thanks

Guest Tanya24

Hey stressed,

Make sure you fill in all the boxes for each entry. Under Ottawa's employement section, there is a box for "hours". They need this to judge the "scope" of your involvement with the activity. Even though the OMSAS auto sketch already contains the duration of the activity, U of O wants information above and beyond this. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Guest Lola Lee Lolo

ok, i have a bit of a silly question regarding stating the amount of hours per activity per period of time.

many of the activities which i am involved in are variable in their time distribution--i guess it is simpler to explain with an example. for instance, i have a severly handicapped sibling to whom much of my free time goes. I listed the time involved as 'variable', but had a second thought and i added a minimum # of hours spent. unfortunately this is not the only activity where i was involved in an 'as needed' basis, but i cannot honestly pinpoint a number of hours. do you think i will run into problems?

regarding the # of years involved--i didnt state it anywhere, as i thought that information could be garnered from the omsas sketch in the 'from yyyy/mm to yyyy/mm' section. am i wrong to assume this?

oh man, last minute paranoia kills me every time.... :)

any thoughts would be welcome here.

Guest UOMeds06

Lola,

Don't stress too much of the exact amount of hours spent. If you want, leave it at "variable" and clarify if it comes up at the interview. If you'd rather, put > X hours a week or 5 < X < 20 or anything like that.

Archived