Premed 101 Forums

Brief questions about Detailed Autobio. instructions...

Guest misagh

Guest misagh

Hello!

Here are the instructions for filling out each 'Volunteer' item in the Ottawa U detailed autobio.:

"Specify your education level: high school or university. Indicate if the activity was during the summer or academic year, the hours per week and the number of years. Provide the location where the volunteer work took place and briefly describe your responsibilities. "

Now, my two brief questions...

1. Does the Ottawa U adcom have access to the information already provided in the brief OMSAS sketch? I'm assuming they do, since we are asked to elaborate on each item in the brief OMSAS sketch, therefore the adcom must know what each item is... does that make sense?

2. Did anyone (preferably those who got in this yr :) ) put the location of the activity right in the title of the item? That way, you wouldn't have to describe the location of the activity in your 'Responsibilities' box... does that work?

Thnx in advance...

Guest redgirl29

Hi misagh,

Here's my two cents for what it's worth- this is my first time applying to Ottawa, but I checked my approach with a friend who got in and they agreed...

1) They do have access to your omsas sketch, so you are right to assume they already know what the activity is...and by extention, the location of the activity, since that is also in the omsas sketch.

2) Given that, I also chose to include the location in my title to save more characters for my responsibilities (as did my friend who was accepted).

So, I think your approach is ok. If there's anyone who has new information unique to this year, please share:)

good luck

Guest misagh

Thank you redgirl :) I wish u the best of luck!!!

Another question:

We are supposed to list pertinent activities since age 16. What about those activities that began BEFORE we were 16 but have continued until the present day? I'm guessing it's good to put those down, because it shows commitment to a certain activity?

I'm sorry for this question so late in the game, but i'm starting to "freak out" about this application... ie. i'm starting to second guess myself!

thnx...

Guest misagh

Just thought of something else... what if the activity began before age 16 but continued until after age 16 (not necessarily until present day?)

thnx

Guest Tanya24

Dear misagh and redgirl,

I emailed admissions about that very topic. He said that the general OMSAS sketch and the Ottawa sketch will be COMBINED before the adcom sees it. So yes, it is not necessary to repeat yourself. Nice to know. Character space IS at a premium :) .

Regarding the location and title in the same line, why would you need to squish them together? In the general OMSAS sketch, there is a 15-or-so character box for "Location" of the activity. Are you entering this into your Ottawa sketch as well?

As for activities that started BEFORE age 16 but continued to age 16, I included them. So have other people in the McMaster forum. Even if you stopped at age 16, I would still include it. Can't hurt. Might help.

I am happy to know that I am not the only one who is "freaking out" at this point. :)

Good luck you guys. Thanks for your support.

Tanya.

Guest redgirl29

misagh,

Here's what I've heard from a few different sources (including the mac info session) about including activities that began before the age of 16:

1) If it is an activity that you are continuing presently, then definitely include it- they do like to see the commitment.

2) If you aren't still involved with the activity, there are a couple of things to consider. First, if listing the activity prevents you from listing something more current (i.e. you've reached your sketch limit), then don't list it- although it might show commitment if you pursued an activity from the age of 12 until 17, the general consensus is that more recent activities are a better indication of the type of person you are today. If space isn't an issue, and it is significant to you, then by all means list it. They also said that if you did something prior to 16 that was really significant/important- and maybe you didn't pursue it past the age of 16, then you are encouraged to list that too. Again, as long as that doesn't take away from more recent activities. This last point is the perspective of mac, so consider that as well. Other universities might be sticklers for the 'since 16' thing.

As for the previous post regarding putting the location in the title of the ottawa sketch- looks like Tanya clarified that for us :)

Guest traveller4ever

What do you guys list in the competition box for dean's list? Isn't it just based on marks? But I couldn't save it as it says i have to put something down in the comp box...

any ideas?

Archived