Premed 101 Forums

Specialization options during/after FM residency

wildcard

Hey all,

I want to apply for FM programs in Canada. Thus far, I've enjoyed whatever exposure I've got to FM practice and would love to work in this field. However, my interests may change/develop in the future and I MAY decide to explore a more specialized field....so, say I match to a FM program, can I re-apply for a residency position in a diff field? If so, can I do that after only 1 year of residency or do I have to complete the program?

Thanks!

Its not widely known but transferring residencies within institutions is not difficult. Difficult specialties will always be difficult to get into (derm will be derm, plastics will be plastics) but if you wanna do, say psych, or IM, or ob/gyne, it's not that difficult. You can either finish your residency and work for a bit then reapply for a re-entry position (do NOT apply through round 2 of CARMS)

Re-entry is not that easy, at least in Ontario. You usually have to sign a return of service contract and will have to work in an underserved area for a number of years equal to the length of your second residency.

Yes, that's true - I will most likely have to sign a ROS, esp as an IMG that maybe the most likely option for me. So that would mean I would have to complete the program and ROS...so we're talking abt 4 yrs in total after starting PGY-1? At that point I'll be 29 and most likely will want to settle and move on with life.....hmm...

Return of service contracts are coercive and do nothing to retain physicians in underserviced areas. In fact, it makes such physicians resentful of those areas for they are imprisoned.

I have no data on this, but I would like to see how many physicians buy-out of their contracts and how early they do so, and whether certain specialties are more likely(for instance, a community rads buying out after their first year whereas a community FM IMG buying out after three)

What's the 'procedure' to buy out of an ROS contract? What are the consequences of doing this - apart from not honoring the contract?

Re-entry is not that easy, at least in Ontario. You usually have to sign a return of service contract and will have to work in an underserved area for a number of years equal to the length of your second residency.

Don't know about Ontario, but it's pretty easy at UBC. IM spots are always advertised every year, as are spots in other specialties (including mine). I've even seen derm advertised a few times--probably very competitive to get in, but still, it's available.

Archived