Premed 101 Forums

Lack of Employment (ouch)

Guest andy

HI everyone,

Apart from weekly tutoring i did last year, i have ZERO experience in the work force.

Before you all assume I'm a lazy/rich snob, the reason for my lack of employment is that my parents have always lived in very poor countries due to the nature of my parents' work. Thus, whenever I'm home I'm unable to obtain a paying job. I do, however, have extensive volunteer experience. How do I let the adcoms know this before the interview? Should I include this information under the employment heading? Should I do the same for my OMSAS sketch? any advice would be appreciated.

Guest Tanya23

I think this is a perfect situation to use the "other" column of the Ottawa sketch. This section is intended to discuss "what factors may have prevented you from developing an extensive curriculum vitae." And remember, at least you have some employment history. Don't sell yourself short. Good luck!

Guest diencephalon

Yup, Tanya's right again!

I dont mean to pry and sound like a jerk, but have you looked at everything you've done since the age of 16? Perhaps you might find something that you've done!

And, I dont know if this is considered scamming/misleading the admissions commitee, but employment means to be payed back for something you've done...But I dont think "payed" really means money in the absolute sense...perhaps you've done activities for the purposes of getting something in return, like a service for example?

just my ideas

g'd luck!

Diencephalon

Archived