Premed 101 Forums

FOR JSS02

Guest HopingForHope

Guest JSS02

Hi,

I withdrew my name from Ottawa's waitlist a month ago after getting into Western, so I don't think I'll be hearing from them unless there was some mistake. Good luck...

hey JSS02,

just wondering why you were put on the "bad"wailist...not to sound arrogant or dumb by any means, but you got into many other med schools and by looking at how Ottawa works, the interviewers must have been on crack or something..

how did your interview go? did they ask bad questions? or were they just in a bad mood? how was your perception of the interview (although I do realize that your feelings of the interview is in no way correlated w/ being accepted or not) ?

Guest JSS02

I actually felt that Ottawa was my BEST interview. I walked out feeling great, especially after hearing stories that many applicants get grilled (sometimes in a rude manner) during Ottawa interviews. My interviewers were friendly but not afraid to press me on my answers, introduce new elements into the scenario, etc.

I wasn't expecting a first round acceptance because I knew that they only give 90 initial offers for the Anglophone program out of ~ 400 interviewees. The interview at Ottawa is worth 100%, so GPA is used only as a tiebreaker. Still, I thought (incorrectly) that I probably did well enough to at least make the "good" waitlist.

Meanwhile, I thought my Queen's interview was my worst, especially considering the fact that they're known to be more laid-back and ask less challenging questions. Yet I got into Queen's but (essentially) received the boot from Ottawa. I guess it just goes to show that how you perceive the interview is pretty meaningless.

really? I didnt know that....

is there any, and I mean any way of finding out where you went wrong (whatever the word "wrong" really means) during the interview? perhaps they were looking for more elaboration, substantiation? (I'm just talking crap here sorry if I sound like Im prying)

P.S. I wonder if it would be illigal to bring in a mini tape recorder...better yet, one of those mini cams that are advertised on those Internet pop-ups ;)

Guest diencephalon

Yeah, JSS02 is right.

Out of all the schools in Ontario, only Western allows you to inquire about your application if unsuccessful.

But the problem with that is that applications pool change every year, so what was lacking/wrong in your application may not apply to the following year.

AND, I believe a post from Peter(?) made a good point..he said that if Ottawa (or other med schools) gave feedback on your interview and people still didnt get in on their next try, they'd complain to the admissions commitee saying that "they fixed what was lacking in their interview."

So the best thing to do is to get what you can get done on your med application (which is hard at first to get going) and pray...pray like you've never prayed before (just kidding....but do whatever you need to help you get through the waiting period!)

Guest TimmyMax

Hey everyone,

Just for interests' sake, unless I'm sadly mistaken, you are allowed to bring a mini tape recorder to record your med school interview at some schools. I can't really see any advantages of having an audio copy of your interview bc: a) if you get in, then what was the point of recording it in the first place? and B) if you don't get in, you'll just drive yourself mad overanalyzing answers you may perceive as lame (which you will do regardless if you taped it or not) and think those weak answers are why you were rejected when it really could be some totally unrelated reason, which you'll probably never find out anyway. So I can't really see why you'd want to record your interview, unless you really do want to play it back and use it as some study guide for next year.

The point I'm trying to make is that wrt interviews, the past will be the past and even though it's tough to let go and make your peace with your interview performance, everyone interviewed will have to do that, so we're all in the same boat. We'll all have flubbed a question or two and we'll all have a few lame answers that we'd love to have back, myself included.

The waiting is definitely the hardest part about this entire process, and having forums like these to share your thoughts and feelings has proven very therapeutic and reassuring to me in the past. Just remember that whatever happens, you're still a good person, so keep your chin up, try again and if you want it bad enough, it will happen for you! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived