Premed 101 Forums

References??

CDN_premed_

Hello. I tried to do a search on the website, but couldnt find the information.

Is there a reference letter requirement for McGill? If so, how many do we need?

Thank you

There don't accept reference letters anymore, your refences have to fill out a questionaires called a referee report that they receive in their email address.

You need 3 referees for Med-P and MDCM, 5 for MD-MBA (throughout apparantly for the 2 extra ones, you can reuse the ones in your original pool of which they fill a different form) and if I it hasnt changed, you need 7 for the MD-PHD.

Is the reference form more like a series of short answer questions or are they more similar to OMSAS's CAF?

Its more than that. Unfortunately because the referee reports aren't made available to the public and only to referees, I dont think many people will know what the form contains, however, judging by the MD-MBA referee report, they include a series of questions in which your referee writes his opinion of you on academic and other qualities, in addition to filling out multiple choice questions.

I think it is more than a flag and hat it comes into play after you passed the hurdles of GPA and your narratives. I met with adcom after last cycle when McGill did not grant me an interview to enquire as to how I might be a better candidate. I was told that I was a better than average applicant but they had issues with part of one of my autobio answers and on that basis, the decision was made not to grant me an interview. All my references were very strong and supportive, from a doctor under whose supervision I worked dealing with patient emergencies, a supervisor in health care where I worked in physcal rehabilitation with elderly chronic patients suffering from stokes, Parkinson and other diseases and a professor.

I assume they never got to the references as these should have offset any misgivins they may have had.

I don't really know the answer to your question and am using deductive reasoning in an attempt to make an educated guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if they evaluate applicants based on the quantity or quality of the reference letters? I only have three letters, so hopefully that won't affect their decision too much.

I'd rather have 3 very good letters than to have 7 "bad" letters written in a rush... they definitively look at the quality and not the quantity.

Archived