Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites!!

Hi Larva, congrats on the interview invite! Do you mind sharing your pre-req GPA and EC activities briefly?

My pre-req average is low 80's but I'm not sure of the exact number. I still have to complete a biochem course before April 30th because they didn't accept the courses I submitted.

As for EC's, I'm probably in a different boat than most applicants. I have been out of school for 5 years, and currently work as a search and rescue pilot. It's a challenging and complex job, and I'm sure it's the reason that I got an interview. After looking on this forum I figured wording was the most important thing, so I really focused on making every character count. (It also helps that employment activities get 500char...)

Outside of work, I've been playing the bagpipes for 15 years, I play a lot of sports, I do some volunteering (<100 hours though) and I included a lot of misc things that I have done that have been important to me. I had ten years to draw from though, not a luxury most undergrads have!

If anything, I think I can be an example that even if your experience is not health care related at all it can still be an asset.

Oh, and for RyanMaverick: "Great, then I won't have to worry about you making a living as a singer" ;)

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to all!!

I'm in the Regrets group, unfortunately. With a bit of a weird story attached....

On Monday my status updated to "ineligible" - I was DEVASTATED. I was so sure that I had checked and re-checked everything and couldn't understand what had gone wrong. I got in touch through OAS and over the course of the day sorted out that I had not properly requested the 10-yr rule be applied...but a mistake had also been made on my file! So they put me back in the pool.

In the end I didn't get an interview, and I'm kicking myself for the mistake I made...but can't help feel a little shafted over the mistake they made! It couldn't have helped to have been the 1600+-th file that they looked at, and I'm sure they weren't inclined to change any of the numbers they'd posted. All of this said, plenty of folks with scores higher than mine (TFR 23.something) didn't get interviews either, so I just have to let it go and prepare for my next application.

Man - it sure is a bit of a blow to the old ego, though! :P

Good luck to everyone interviewing this year - keep us posted on the whole process!

Do you remember we were sitting there by the water?

You put your arm around me for the third time

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter

You are the best thing that's ever been mine

;)

Flash forward and we're taking on the world together...

Lol couldnt resist writing that-love that song! Hopefully it will be the last time for you! :)

Congratulations to all!!

I'm in the Regrets group, unfortunately. With a bit of a weird story attached....

On Monday my status updated to "ineligible" - I was DEVASTATED. I was so sure that I had checked and re-checked everything and couldn't understand what had gone wrong. I got in touch through OAS and over the course of the day sorted out that I had not properly requested the 10-yr rule be applied...but a mistake had also been made on my file! So they put me back in the pool.

Man - it sure is a bit of a blow to the old ego, though! :P

Good luck to everyone interviewing this year - keep us posted on the whole process!

The same thing happened to me last year, pretty much, but they did not do anything about it. :(

I know how devastated you feel!

Congrats everyone (especially hking, mav and k-doc b/c I know how invested you all are in this! You really earned it!)

Good luck on the MMI! (they are really less scary than they seem :))

Thanks man! I hope you are right about the mmi! I wish you the best of luck with your other applications-you have an amazing mcat so I have no doubt you will do awesome where the mcat is a more pivotal role.

Congrats everyone (especially hking, mav and k-doc b/c I know how invested you all are in this! You really earned it!)

Good luck on the MMI! (they are really less scary than they seem :))

Thanks ryacha!

Super stoked about this invite! I'm bummed that you won't be joining us at Ubc mmi's, but you've got great things coming this year- I can feel it buddy!

I'm also jazzed for kdoc, Mav, mithril and nebula (among others)- this is going to be a wild ride! Let's try and enjoy it!

Still in awe of this invite and the company it puts me in... Very cool.

Oh, and just to reiterate what others have said- if this year wasn't your year- don't give up! It's a long journey, and has a lot of different paths that get you there.

Hey, people with interview invites

Please post some stats with your good news! I'm dying to see the AQ NAQ...especially for OOP!

And congrats everyone!!!

Students who have been invited for an interview are not given their AQ/NAQ scores.

I heard that this was done to prevent students from predicting the formula and to prevent students from comparing their scores when they enter medicine.

Hey guys,

I've been a long time transient lurker here (if that makes any sense haha) and I think I might have posted 1 or 2 times but anyways just wanted to say congratulations to all those who got an interview form UBC. I also got an interview invitation so good luck everyone!!

And I'll try to be more active here from now on so I can keep myself up to date :D

It's due in March. We have plenty of time. :P

hahaha, i know mith... i've been planning this out for a while (read: years). so, i've already submitted the emails for all of the references... and the site preference form...

now, to compile all of the photographs and identification required.

I heard UBC likes good looking students... I'm going to take many many shots and compare them all before selecting the perfect photo to give to them.. lol

I can't comment on the guys but the majority of girls are definitely not what I would consider good looking from my personal experience.

I can't comment on the guys but the majority of girls are definitely not what I would consider good looking from my personal experience.

...not in UBC Med and not a girl but... Ouch!

I *am* in UBC Med and I'm a girl and that's a definite ouch! I'd like to know what, exactly, your personal experience is because I've seen quite a few good looking girls in the program! There are also quite a few good looking guys, although I'm pretty sure UBC doesn't favor the "good looking" candidates.

Archived