Premed 101 Forums

Msc-Confused between the options

Dear All

I am a first year Master's student at an excellent lab, my ultimate goal is to get into medical school abd I am also highly interested in MD/PhD program. But I am confused wheather to finish my PhD first(possible 4 more years) and then apply for MD program or to apply for MD and transfer into MD/PhD. Due to nature of my research it takes a while to collect data but minum 2 publications are guaranteed at the end of MSc and 4-6 at the end of PhD. My supervisor would definitely want me to stay, but I am very doubful of what path to take. I appreciate your advice on this matter, PS my GPA (out of four): 1st year: 3.0 2nd year :3.86 3rd year: 3.9 4th year: 3.82 and I have not wrote the MCAT yet and I have a lot of EC, Volunteer and teaching experience. Thanks for your help.:)

If med school is the end game, I would apply next cycle, assuming you will xcoplete your Masters next year. Look into McGill, their MD/PhD option and also U/O, neither of which require MCAT, although U/O have chem requirements. Apply to as many schools as possible and if you don't get in next year, then you can consider going for your PhD. Good luck.

I agree with the poster above - if your supervisor is guaranteeing publications, you may want to take that with a grain of salt - nothing is guaranteed! I would be very suspicious of a guarantee like that - just like a guarantee that they will get their grant renewed.... My advice - write your MCAT, and apply next cycle, see what happens, and you can always continue in your lab if you still like it there and you didn't get in!

Archived