Premed 101 Forums

Milk is actually bad for you?!

xkittens

Hey guys, came across this on the internet.

can any keen medical/premed students confirm/dismiss this?

From what i've found milk has a PH level of 6.5-6.8, isn't that too close to neutral to have an effect on the body?

Milk, it nourishes you with all the necessary vitamins and nutrients, while at the same time quenching your thirst and satisfying your hunger. Milk is absolutely amazing...when you are a newborn and it's coming from your mothers breast. When you're older and it comes from a cow, it's a whole different story.

Drinking milk actually increases calcium loss from the bones. This happens because milk, like all animal protein, acidifies the body pH, which in turn triggers a biological correction. Since calcium is an excellent acid neutralizer and the biggest storage of calcium is in the bones, the calcium is taken out of the bones in order to neutralize the pH of the ingested milk before it reaches our kidneys and damages them.

Due to this, milk consumption is directly linked with many bone-related problems such as arthritis and osteoporosis.

Basically, cow milk is specifically designed for the body of calves (just as human milk is intended for the body of infants) - Human milk is 5-7 percent protein, cow milk is 15 percent protein. Another huge difference is that the primary type of protein in cow's milk is casein - cow's milk has 20 times the casein as human milk, which makes it very difficult for us to be able to absorb the protein from milk.

The protein deficiency weakens the immune system, and can lead to many problems such as allergies.

If this were not enough, the majority of the world's adult population is "lactose intolerant". Meaning they cannot digest lactose, the sugar in milk. An enzyme called lactase is needed to digest lactose. Between the ages 1.5-4, most people gradually lose the lactase activity in their small intestines. It is a normal process that is a part of physical maturation. All mammals do it.

Dairy products contribute to heart disease because of their high content in cholesterol and fat, and they have an enzyme called xanthine oxidase (an enzyme that creates problems only when milk is homogenized, causes heart disease by damaging arteries)

As to where to get calcium- the best source of calcium for humans is from fresh green vegetables.

I read something similar elsewhere (don't remember where exactly), it makes sense to me. If milk was that good, there wouldn't be the need to add vitamine D to it. That's actually the only reason why they say milk is good for your bones.

While I don't think milk is actually bad, I don't think it's particularly good either.

And don't forget that there's a whole industry lobying like crazy for the population to hink that «2 glasses a day are better than 1» lol.

http://www.diet-blog.com/08/milk_is_it_healthy_or_not.php

Also interesting

I personally prefer fortified soy milk.

1. no antibiotics and hormones used in cow to keep them healthy and producing.

2. higher consumption of animal products are associated with higher incidence of cancer

3. I prefer the flavour of unsweetened soy milk over 2% or even skim.

The higher percentage of protein in cows milk only matters for babies. Before the age of 1, babies are not recommended cow's milk due to the lower fat % which is needed to support their growth (fat/g = more energy than protein/g).

If anything we want more protein than fat today. Nothing wrong with casein protein, it's is slower digesting that is all. One of the reasons I eat cottage cheese an hour or two before i sleep because it has a lot of casein protein.

If cow's milk is 15% protein, and human milk is 5-7% protein, how is there a protein deficiency?

Milk isn't the only source of protein out there.

Not all diary products contain high levels of fat. Mainly cheese and the higher % milk. Cheese contains a lot of saturated fats, which have more impact on circulating cholesterol levels than ingested cholesterol.

Lactose intolerance mainly will cause bloating, indigestion, and gas. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. Well maybe the excessive gas.

As for the calcium, there's no vitamin D in vegetables to help absorb all that calcium. Ingesting high quantities of Ca without vitamin D will only do more harm than good.

ever drink milk, get gassy, but was stuck in a social situation where would be embarrassing for you to break wind so you had to hold it in? MULTIPLE TIMES?

I wonder what happens to the gas that can't escape. WHERE DOES IT GO? trapped gas needs to go somewhere.

It certainly doesn't come out the other end. It just subsides after some initial discomfort than poof! disappears into an unknown vacuum.

Oreos are great, until you read the label and it has like 2.5g of trans fat per 2 cookie :(

^ Probably escapes eventually ( when you're sleeping and unware?) I guess.

My sister's quite possibly the most lactose intolerant person on the planet. Milk items cause unbearable pain, bloating, severe diarrhea, stomach cramps etc....

The sad part is that a lot of processed food (from a loaf of bread to even sausages) contains milk to some extent and even 1% milk content causes horrible symptoms.

I'm bored, so I figured I'd actually go over this after all...

Drinking milk actually increases calcium loss from the bones. This happens because milk, like all animal protein, acidifies the body pH, which in turn triggers a biological correction. Since calcium is an excellent acid neutralizer and the biggest storage of calcium is in the bones, the calcium is taken out of the bones in order to neutralize the pH of the ingested milk before it reaches our kidneys and damages them.

Ummm, what is "body pH" first of all, secondly since when does animal protein decrease pH? Third, I don't know, it's been awhile since I've taken chemistry, but since when does a cation help to neutralize acids? I've never heard of calcium latching onto positively charged protons, has anyone else? ;)

Lastly, ignoring every embarrassing falsification of everything we know about science, if you just research the principal question about bone mineral density (BMD) and milk intake you will find hundreds of articles proving that regular milk consumption increases BMD. Here's one from the British Medical Journal:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2539753/

Due to this, milk consumption is directly linked with many bone-related problems such as arthritis and osteoporosis.

Due to all of the above being false, milk does not cause osteoporosis but in fact does the very opposite.

Human milk is 5-7 percent protein, cow milk is 15 percent protein. Another huge difference is that the primary type of protein in cow's milk is casein - cow's milk has 20 times the casein as human milk, which makes it very difficult for us to be able to absorb the protein from milk.

The protein deficiency weakens the immune system, and can lead to many problems such as allergies.

I don't know much about milk so I'd have to look up the facts about casein. But having more protein doesn't quite make sense that you'd absorb less. Don't know in what warped universe less protein absorption causes allergies either.

I'll skip the rest of the stuff on lactose intolerance, which is irrelevant. If you're lactose intolerant then you're not going to want to drink milk anyway. I have no idea where they got that info on xanthine oxidase but they should back up their info with facts...

YEAH!!! Someone who search for the answers in peer-reviewed EBM! Way to you!

I'm bored, so I figured I'd actually go over this after all...

Ummm, what is "body pH" first of all, secondly since when does animal protein decrease pH? Third, I don't know, it's been awhile since I've taken chemistry, but since when does a cation help to neutralize acids? I've never heard of calcium latching onto positively charged protons, has anyone else? ;)

Lastly, ignoring every embarrassing falsification of everything we know about science, if you just research the principal question about bone mineral density (BMD) and milk intake you will find hundreds of articles proving that regular milk consumption increases BMD. Here's one from the British Medical Journal:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2539753/

Due to all of the above being false, milk does not cause osteoporosis but in fact does the very opposite.

I don't know much about milk so I'd have to look up the facts about casein. But having more protein doesn't quite make sense that you'd absorb less. Don't know in what warped universe less protein absorption causes allergies either.

I'll skip the rest of the stuff on lactose intolerance, which is irrelevant. If you're lactose intolerant then you're not going to want to drink milk anyway. I have no idea where they got that info on xanthine oxidase but they should back up their info with facts...

Archived