Premed 101 Forums

Tips for Neurosurgery

sultanator

Hello ya'll !

I know I'm only graduating in 2014, but having studied Neuroscience in University and having some clinical exposure to Neurosurgery -- really has confirmed my interest in this field.

I was just wondering if you could share some of your tips regarding the overall process in applying to Neurosurgery Programs across Canada, especially considering I come from a French University (Sherbrooke). What are the things I should slowly start to think about, any moves recommended early on in Med School to enhance chances of getting in.....basically, anything YOU would have wanted to know when you were in my position ?!! :)

Thanks again :D

I'm in second year and by talking to a lot of people, I found out that in Quebec, preclinical grades are VERY important. Don't listen to those who say the opposite. For sure it's not the most important factor, but it really can make the difference at the end for a competitive specialty.

I'm in second year and by talking to a lot of people, I found out that in Quebec, preclinical grades are VERY important. Don't listen to those who say the opposite. For sure it's not the most important factor, but it really can make the difference at the end for a competitive specialty.

Yeah.....that's what I heard too......my first semester hasn't gone that well.....but I'm positive I'll be doing much better as of next semester.......

So would this mean Preclinical Grades are less important for the programs outside Quebec ? Because I'm interested in couple of programs in Ontario and BC and was wondering what were THEY looking in applicants in order of priority..... :)

Thanks again for the tips !!

• 1 month later...

Archived