Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a 3.846 last year that was rounded to a 3.85 and here I am... so you don't need to exceed the cutoffs.

Thanks for the info. I contacted the admin office this morning and one of the assistants told me to email them with my concern.

The admission office got back to me. They calculated my GPA in a way that I didn't expect. I completed a co-op engineering degree, so many of my semesters were split up because of work terms. As an example, for my one of my years, I completed the first half of my year in Fall of 2003 (took 4 courses, GPA 3.58). The second semester for that academic year was completed in Summer of 2004 (took 7 courses, GPA 3.96). I had a work-term in Winter 2004 which split up my year.

To compute the GPA for that year they simply calculated (3.58+3.96)/2 = 3.77 even though my Summer semester had 3 more courses. I would’ve expected that my academic year average would be (3.58 x 4 + 3.96 x 7)/11 = 3.82 given the difference of weights for the semesters. Calculating in this way would’ve put me over 3.85 for the wPGA.

But I am guessing that this calculation was done the same way for everyone, in which case I am out of luck…..

Any thoughts on this?

Archived