Premed 101 Forums

How about me?

Hey guys,

I am from Quebec and went to Marianopolis. I totally messed up my CEGEP and ended with a r-score of around 24. Now Im doing my undergrad in exercise science at Concordia. I just finished my first year (winter admission) with a GPA of 3.94 on 4.3 scale or 3.8 on 4.0 scale. :) Luckily, I just learnt that I can erase my CEGEP grades after 50 credits in the 3 french speaking universities. I think I am back on track!

I am actually more interested in pharmacy, I'd apply to pharmacy at UdeM or UdeLaval, with med schools as backups. Do I stand a chance?

I have a few questions:

1) What about pre-requisites? Since I did all my science prereq courses (like cal, linear, physics, bio, organic 1, chem, all very bad) in CEGEP. Is it true that "erasing CEGEP marks" erases everything? So only my Undergrad courses will count?

2) What GPA on 4.3 scale (Concordia scale) is good ENOUGH? I am aiming to raise my GPA to 4.1 on 4.3, is it good or it's too good they think Im a nerd and reject me?

3) Is volunteering in hospital necessary to get into pharmacy? I think they look at my grades, with a test psychometrique and an autobiographical questionnaire, not very much extracurricular activities. Am I right?

4) UdeM uses Z-score, comparing my ranking to the rest of the classes. However at Concordia, transcript only shows my GPA, cGPA (cumulative), not even my percentage grade, nor the average, how can UdeM calculate my Z-score?

5) Do I stand a chance if I apply to McGill med school? Since its more competitive and I messed up my CEGEP, do they erase CEGEP marks? I don't think so eh?

¡Muchas Gracias!

Hi PharmaDream; do you even need to ask? Of course you do have a chance! Your cgpa is competitive.

1- Not sure. Perhaps phone udem and describe your situation. Maybe they'd want you to retake some courses at concordia. You can also speak to your advisor at concordia. Perhaps they'll let you retake it there and give you credit for it.

2 - Higher GPA will not be frowned down upon. If you can get 4.3 - then go for it - don't hold back. 3.8 on 4 is concidered competitive. Universities won't think your a nerd if you have a perfect GPA and whats wrong with being a nerd? :P Just make sure you enjoy your three years at concordia - be active and involved in what interests you.

3 - No you don't neccessarily have to volunteer at a hospital. I personally see volunteering and community service as a way to improve upon your personality and social skills. For example, pharmacy at U of T doesn't want your CV or any autobiographical letter. They only had a MMI interview. If you volunteer, pick volunteer activities that you enjoy - its where the best growth comes.

4 - I don't think they can. When I applied to other pharm schools, they requested my class average - if avaliable. They will understand if you cannot possiblely provide them this.

Hope this helps.

I have seen some older posts, for example this one:

from Eve (feb 2007) in CEGEP marks after undergrad:

"Your cegep marks, at that point, only count as sort of like pass/fail. They will look at whether you have all the prerequisites or not, but you could have 60% at all of them in cegep, after those 45 to 50 university credits, it doesn't matter."

Is this true? So in my case, I completed the prereqs in CEGEP with crappy marks but now having an excellent cGPA in my program (exercise science). After 50 credits, only my cGPA will be taken into consideration?

Also, university requires me to send all postsecondary transcripts including cegep one. Even at that point cegep marks no longer count, but when if they glance at that transcript wouldn't they have a bad impression of me already..?

Ok I know Im asking too much, and Im havin a headache.. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hey PharmaDream, you are my clone in all respects since high school! Your Cegep grades will be wiped away from conisderation and you are good to go in med or pharmacy. ONLY your university grades will count, no bad impression from Cegep, not to worry. Exercise Science is the best kept secret into all med school in Quebec. And I know how hard and doable it is to attain striaght As in Exercise Science. Look into the Clinical Ex. Physiology option where you will reinforce theoretical knowledge and develop additional skills with patitents, including communication skills. And yes, your life experience from ECs and volunteering allow you to bring more to the table when MMI and MEM come along. Why not apply to med and pharmacy and let them make the decision for you. Well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey PharmaDream,

I'm in the exact same situation as you were. I am now a college student and my grades are very crappy because I slacked off badly... I also have a 24.xxx r score and want to get into med school. I was looking at the Exercise Science Program at Concordia and it sounds like it would be a great program for me to study in (and do well in of course), but when I looked it up on their site, I found out that it is only 42 credits. I don't really know how this credit system works, but I was just wondering why is the number of credits so low and if it means that the program is longer (how long is the program?)

I am really confused and stressed about this matter. Please help me!

Thank you!

Hey PharmaDream,

I'm in the exact same situation as you were. I am now a college student and my grades are very crappy because I slacked off badly... I also have a 24.xxx r score and want to get into med school. I was looking at the Exercise Science Program at Concordia and it sounds like it would be a great program for me to study in (and do well in of course), but when I looked it up on their site, I found out that it is only 42 credits. I don't really know how this credit system works, but I was just wondering why is the number of credits so low and if it means that the program is longer (how long is the program?)

Thank you!

Concordia (and McGill BTW) give a lot of space for electives, so these 42 credits are those related to the field, the rest are electives.

Hey PharmaDream,

Thank you!

You could try the Specializations in Clinical Exercise Physiology or Athletic Therapy or the Honours program. All of which have 60 ++ credits which would ensure that you meet the 60% rule.

Hey Big Brother and all,

yes I am currently enrolled in Exercise Science (AT) at Concordia University. And yes, major program has only 42 core course credits, the rest (I think 48...) are electives. I don't know about the 60% rule. But I don't suggest major since imagine: if you fail to go to med, well, you have just wasted 3 years of your life, and majoring is not gonna make you find a job anywhere.

AT or CEP are better though... Choose AT if you are interested in physio or CEP if you are interested in med... I am not interested in either but physio is more interesting so I took physio. (My goal is Pharmacy...)

Also, you will notice a huge Francophone population here... It's an English Instution but I'd say at least 80% ppl are francophone...

Actually, do good in my program is NOT easy! Prepare to study hard, and practice a lot. I got a C+ in a course, but end up catching up with lots of A+, therefore my GPA is now about 3.9...

Second year (I heard) is hardest, since you will be doing internship while going to school. In AT you will be traveling with school's sport team anywhere in Quebec on weekends, so time management is key. (I will soon do the intern..)

Also, I heard that in AT, each year, about 100 ppl got in, but at each year's graduation, only about 25ppl finish. Therefore, exercise science is not as easy as you'd think.

The CRC to get into the program has been rising each year, last year, I saw it was 25, but I asked the academic advisor, he said the average CRC of all students who got in last year was around 28... But no worries, I got in with a 24. something. So I was on the edge.

Good luck BigBrother!

To finish, I have a question, according to you, in a program like Exercise Science (very related to physio), what GPA do I need to be called to the Test Psychometrique for pharmacy at UdeM? (gimme an approximation, what I will be aiming for)

what GPA do I need to be called to the Test Psychometrique for pharmacy at UdeM? (gimme an approximation, what I will be aiming for)

I do not know the answer but you have the grades for entry to medicine, so most assuredly, you have the grades for pharmacy. :P

So, I suggest that you just keep up your work ethic and you will have your choice of career. :)

Do I asssume you will apply for pharmacy as first choice and medicine, second choice (and not the reverse)?

Hey Big Brother and all,

yes I am currently enrolled in Exercise Science (AT) at Concordia University. And yes, major program has only 42 core course credits, the rest (I think 48...) are electives. I don't know about the 60% rule. But I don't suggest major since imagine: if you fail to go to med, well, you have just wasted 3 years of your life, and majoring is not gonna make you find a job anywhere.

AT or CEP are better though... Choose AT if you are interested in physio or CEP if you are interested in med... I am not interested in either but physio is more interesting so I took physio. (My goal is Pharmacy...)

Also, you will notice a huge Francophone population here... It's an English Instution but I'd say at least 80% ppl are francophone...

Actually, do good in my program is NOT easy! Prepare to study hard, and practice a lot. I got a C+ in a course, but end up catching up with lots of A+, therefore my GPA is now about 3.9...

Second year (I heard) is hardest, since you will be doing internship while going to school. In AT you will be traveling with school's sport team anywhere in Quebec on weekends, so time management is key. (I will soon do the intern..)

Also, I heard that in AT, each year, about 100 ppl got in, but at each year's graduation, only about 25ppl finish. Therefore, exercise science is not as easy as you'd think.

The CRC to get into the program has been rising each year, last year, I saw it was 25, but I asked the academic advisor, he said the average CRC of all students who got in last year was around 28... But no worries, I got in with a 24. something. So I was on the edge.

Good luck BigBrother!

To finish, I have a question, according to you, in a program like Exercise Science (very related to physio), what GPA do I need to be called to the Test Psychometrique for pharmacy at UdeM? (gimme an approximation, what I will be aiming for)

The pure major option is a very solid program for grad studies. All the anatomy and physiology open a lot of doors for many graduate programs.

Not to mention it allows a lot of room to stuff in some courses that will help you in the long run (ex: maybe you wanna take some biochem courses that are recommended by some medical school, maybe you want to take some psych or biology electives that can help you in some research positions or masters programs.

Having said that, people who go through AT and CEP programs in ex-sci are some of the most passionate and driven people I have ever had the chance to study with.

See ya in the learning lab.

Hey Big Brother and all,

Good luck BigBrother!

The pure major option is a very solid program for grad studies. All the anatomy and physiology open a lot of doors for many graduate programs.

Not to mention it allows a lot of room to stuff in some courses that will help you in the long run (ex: maybe you wanna take some biochem courses that are recommended by some medical school, maybe you want to take some psych or biology electives that can help you in some research positions or masters programs.

Having said that, people who go through AT and CEP programs in ex-sci are some of the most passionate and driven people I have ever had the chance to study with.

Hey Big Brother and all,

Good luck BigBrother!

Hey Big Brother and all,

Good luck BigBrother!

So true. :)

I've been in the same boat as Pharm. I've had a terrible Cote R in CÉGEP, and really wanted to get into medicine. Except I did a year in medical biology undergrad, and didn't get a competitive first year, and needed As everywhere, and had to forget my dreams of medicine after failing a crucial exam in my third semester. I even retired from college.

• 1 month later...

what is this rule about erasing your cegep grades? i completed a dec in social science and later realized that science was what interested me. i have roughly a 30 CRC in my science courses although my social science background (not the best of grades) eliminates me from even applying to med school. i would love some suggestions on what to take in university to best allign myself for a position in any medical school in eastern canada. it is my passion and i have many ec's in hospitals and have developed relationships with some doctors. any input would really put me at ease,

thanks to whoever can help me out!

Patrick

what is this rule about erasing your cegep grades? i completed a dec in social science and later realized that science was what interested me. i have roughly a 30 CRC in my science courses although my social science background (not the best of grades) eliminates me from even applying to med school. i would love some suggestions on what to take in university to best allign myself for a position in any medical school in eastern canada. it is my passion and i have many ec's in hospitals and have developed relationships with some doctors. any input would really put me at ease,

thanks to whoever can help me out!

Patrick

If you want to apply to the French schools (assuming for you Eastern Canada includes Quebec), you can do an undergrad degree, your CRC will be erased after 50 credits (45 for Sherbrooke).

Archived