Premed 101 Forums

Interviews Out!

This will be the 3rd interview for 3 applications for me. I was put on the "reserve waitlist" the last two year (whatever that means). I was told during the campus visit last year that it takes an average of 3 tries to get in. Hopefully this will be my year! and the year for you others who have been trying!

By the way, I live in one of Thunder Bay's "satellite communities" and I had a 3.7 GPA at Lakehead.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why it takes 3 times on avg. Does it take the avg applicant that many times of applying and interviewing to get the right feel for the school so their ABS, essay questions, and MMI are high enough to get in? I wonder how many people get in first try (percentage) and how big a factor age plays in interview success?

Any thoughts?

I would think that experience and age adds to maturity and can only be beneficial. I don't know about percentages but many med applicants apply more than once and many succeed after multiple attempts.

I have a few friends who got in to NOSM on their first tries and they were all 21 :) I think that the reason that many applicants take a few tries is because they know the process better and better each year, which strengthens their performance at the interview. If I knew exactly what to expect, I would know exactly how to prepare/practice, and I would also be less nervous at the interview. There is definitely hope for the first timers though!

• 1 month later...
I have a few friends who got in to NOSM on their first tries and they were all 21 :) I think that the reason that many applicants take a few tries is because they know the process better and better each year, which strengthens their performance at the interview. If I knew exactly what to expect, I would know exactly how to prepare/practice, and I would also be less nervous at the interview. There is definitely hope for the first timers though!

Thank goodness because this is my first time applying and my interview is next week. Not sure where I am at though... my OMSAS GPA is a 3.94 but I am from Thunder Bay not somewhere rural so I guess I have a poor context score. Not sure what my sketch would be evaluated as because I am not sure what they are looking for. I guess the interview is worth so much anyways though that the other stuff is less important at this stage. The only tip I have for MMI prep is 'Doing Right' I found it an excellent ethics resource.

Archived