Premed 101 Forums

IP twitter updates!

MedPen

This morning, we learned:

1) There was an 117% increase in applications for IP.

2) They have processed over 2000 applications for all categories (IP, OOP, and international). I like how they called this "bitter-sweet".

3) There are only 200 spots for interviews for IP.

4) They are trying very hard to meet their deadline of Friday for invites.

All in all, none of this strikes me as particularly good news :( At least we got some news/updates...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This morning, we learned:

1) There was an 117% increase in applications for IP.

2) They are processing over 2000 IP applications. I like how they called this "bitter-sweet".

3) There are only 200 spots for interviews.

4) They are trying very hard to meet their deadline of Friday for invites.

All in all, none of this strikes me as particularly good news :( At least we got some news/updates...

The IP applications more than doubled? - wow! How did that happen?

All the Francophones who were effectively excluded in the past - due to MCAT - are now applying to McGill in addition to Laval, Sherbrooke and University of Montreal. This was the intention of McGill and it has come to pass, so no surprises really. We are now in a new era that is much more competitive, especially for the IP Anglos who do not have French.

Under the system with the French med schools, those app[licants who have gone to French speaking high school (and French immersion does not count) do not need to pass a severe written French exam. If no French high school, as a condition precedent to be able to attend a MEM (the French MMI), the student must obtain the required (very) high grade in the French exam; otherwise, the student will not be interviewed.

The ripple effect will be that Quebec IP Anglos will need to do the MCAT and apply across Canada to be safe, so the numbers will likely increase in Ontario next cycle.

The 2000 number is for all applicant categories so far. A bit deceiving.

117% increase for University IP category means about 757 applicants (2.17*349 Applicants last year) for about 200 interviews, but there is no telling how many are in the non-traditional category who only have 3 of the interview spots.

The increase does make sense with the removal of the MCAT requirement but i hope that they won't select people based on bilingualism. If so, it leaves no place for us English-only speakers to apply in Quebec with good prospects.

I don't see why they would only select people that are bilingual... This wouldn't be fair at all and McGill knows that

I don't see why they would only select people that are bilingual... This wouldn't be fair at all and McGill knows that

They have no real way of assessing whether someone is bilingual or not nor do I presume they care. I would also assume that anyone intending to practice medicine in QC would make an effort to learn a bit of french during med school and McGill gives people that opportunity.

The 2000 number is for all applicant categories so far. A bit deceiving.

117% increase for University IP category means about 757 applicants (2.17*349 Applicants last year) for about 200 interviews, but there is no telling how many are in the non-traditional category who only have 3 of the interview spots.

Thanks for the useful interpretation!

Another thing to note is that they're interviewing the same number of people as last year (200). Which means that they're screening out the huge surge in applicants by Friday. If you can make it to the interview, you have the same odds of getting in as last year (although in theory the competition will be of a higher caliber).

. If you can make it to the interview, you have the same odds of getting in as last year (although in theory the competition will be of a higher caliber).

That's true and that's good but making it to the interview for IP seems to have gotten as tough as making it to the interview for OOP!

They won't do thsat nor check if you are bilingual. However, the competition is now much stiffer and they will select the best persons as they see it, regardless of language. Of course, French is required for the licencing exam.

That's true and that's good but making it to the interview for IP seems to have gotten as tough as making it to the interview for OOP!

That's just a bit of an overstatement! About 1 in 4 IP applicants will make it to the interview, versus about 1 in 40 for OOP (depending on how you guess the # of OOP applicants). I'm much happier to be on the IP side, even if it's tougher this year!

All the Francophones who were effectively excluded in the past - due to MCAT - are now applying to McGill in addition to Laval, Sherbrooke and University of Montreal. This was the intention of McGill and it has come to pass, so no surprises really. We are now in a new era that is much more competitive, especially for the IP Anglos who do not have French.

Under the system with the French med schools, those app[licants who have gone to French speaking high school (and French immersion does not count) do not need to pass a severe written French exam. If no French high school, as a condition precedent to be able to attend a MEM (the French MMI), the student must obtain the required (very) high grade in the French exam; otherwise, the student will not be interviewed.

The ripple effect will be that Quebec IP Anglos will need to do the MCAT and apply across Canada to be safe, so the numbers will likely increase in Ontario next cycle.

Thanks for that piece of good news. Really.

That's just a bit of an overstatement! About 1 in 4 IP applicants will make it to the interview, versus about 1 in 40 for OOP (depending on how you guess the # of OOP applicants). I'm much happier to be on the IP side, even if it's tougher this year!

Since we don't know how many non-trads the 2000 applications included, I did a very rough estimated of 1 in 10 for interview chances :P

But, you are right, I'd rather be IP than OOP too.

Keep in mind that it's 2000 applications total...a mere 757 of those are IP (minus the non-trad ones)! That's where my 1 in 4 estimate came from.

I find it hard to believe that there are about 1250 applications for 3 spots. I think we are misinterpreting something here...

The 2000 includes OOP and International. I already explained it in my earlier post.

Since they said they hit 2000 last week, I suspect that they're also counting Med-P applications trickling in in that figure.

The IP number that matters is about 757.

Since they said they hit 2000 last week, I suspect that they're also counting Med-P applications trickling in in that figure.

The IP number that matters is about 757.

Hahahaha...I'm laughing at myself. I've become so obsessed about my admission process that I totally forgot about the Med-P kids.

Thank you guys for your thorough interpretations. When I first saw 2000, I thought they meant 2000 IP applicants. I was pretty baffled haha.

757 doesn't seem too bad, but it's still tougher competition now for IP applicants. More than 2x more applicants from last year is still a huge jump. For some reason, I have a feeling the admissions people won't reach their Friday deadline if they plan on reading every single Personal Statement abstract and CV highlights text - which, I think, according to their website, they do, regardless of cGPA.

. For some reason, I have a feeling the admissions people won't reach their Friday deadline if they plan on reading every single Personal Statement abstract and CV highlights text - which, I think, according to their website, they do, regardless of cGPA.

Ya, I don't know about the friday deadline being met either but since interviews are on the 21st and 22nd, they can't delay invites by too long even though every minute feels like a year :P

Thank you guys for your thorough interpretations. When I first saw 2000, I thought they meant 2000 IP applicants. I was pretty baffled haha.

757 doesn't seem too bad, but it's still tougher competition now for IP applicants. More than 2x more applicants from last year is still a huge jump. For some reason, I have a feeling the admissions people won't reach their Friday deadline if they plan on reading every single Personal Statement abstract and CV highlights text - which, I think, according to their website, they do, regardless of cGPA.

Thank you all for the updates and interpretations!

Indeed I hope the 2000 is the number of total applications the Office has processed (which means it includes the International and Other Provinces), rather than the In-Province alone. I recall that the Francophone universities received more than 1500 applications every year for their medical programmes.

750 In-Province-Applications, half of the Francophone ones, sounds very reasonable considering McGill's reputation and its application policies. Further, according to the "File Review Process" posted, the 750 falls within the [200X4=800, 200X6=1200] range, which means all applications will probably be considered, as opposed to what was done to our Out-of-Province colleagues.

Although the success rate remains the same (interview to admission), I think the people invited for interviews may be more competitive this year.

Anyway, I can imagine how hard the Office works to meet the deadline. Good luck to all of us!

Archived