Premed 101 Forums

Interview Discussion 2011

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hm! I'm stoked for the interviews! Can't wait.

It's too bad I have a string of 3 midterms RIGHT before that weekend, and a biochem 330 one on the Tuesday following. Hahah

Does anybody else have a string of midterms right around the interview date?

I'm first going to cautiously wait and see *if* I get an interview.

I think it's a good idea to get this thread started. Interviews will probably go out on February 22nd at the latest assuming they take Family Day off.

Here are the acceptance stats from last year:

--------------------------

For the 2/3 year pool:

CGPA MAX: 4.0

CGPA AVG: 3.93

PERSONAL ACT. MAX: 11.80

PERSONAL ACT. AVG: 8.58

MCAT MAX: 13.33 (40)

MCAT AVG: 11.81 (35)

WRITING SAMPLE MAX: T

WRITING SAMPLE AVG: R

REF. LETTERS MAX: 4.50

REF. LETTERS AVG: 3.50

INTERVIEW MAX: 22.32

INTERVIEW AVG: 19.25

Fourth Year Numbers:

CGPA MAX: 4.0

CGPA AVG: 3.89

PERSONAL ACT. MAX: 14.88

PERSONAL ACT. AVG: 8.61

MCAT MAX: 14.33 (43)

MCAT AVG: 11.28 (34)

WRITING SAMPLE MAX: T

WRITING SAMPLE AVG: Q

REF. LETTERS MAX: 5.00

REF. LETTERS AVG: 3.59

INTERVIEW MAX: 23.21

INTERVIEW AVG: 18.00

Discuss:

Are stats likely to go down with increased seats this year due to extra funding? Here are more numbers for everyone to appreciate.

-------------------------

Entering class of 2007

133 spots

3.80 GPA

10.88 MCAT

Entering class of 2009

172 spots

3.80 GPA

10.71 MCAT

Entering class of 2010

167 spots

3.89 GPA

11.28 MCAT

I'm missing the 2008 data.

------------------------------

Also, here are the stats for those invited to interview.

------------------------------

In-Province Numbers:

CGPA: Max 4.0; Avg: 3.78

Personal Activities Score: Max 17.63; Avg: 8.16

MCAT Score: Max 14.33; Avg: 10.70

Writing Sample: Max T; Avg: Q

Out of Province Numbers for 2nd/3rd years

cGPA: 4.0, 3.98

PAS: 19.95, 8.9

MCAT: 13.67, 11.42

writing sample: T, R

Out of Province Numbers for 4th years

cGPA: 4.0, 3.92

PAS: 14.10, 8.28

MCAT: 13.33, 11.12

WS: T, Q

I hope this is helpful!

Where did you get those stats from? I remember a couple of threads that say that the avg. cGPA for last years OOP interviews was 3.98 (not 3.92). Could you post the link where we can find those numbers. Thanks.

Where did you get those stats from? I remember a couple of threads that say that the avg. cGPA for last years OOP interviews was 3.98 (not 3.92). Could you post the link where we can find those numbers. Thanks.

If you look carefully, you will see that the average cGPA for 2nd/3rd year OOP applicants is 3.98. These numbers are from another thread. Anytime you get rejected from the UofA, they will send you the stats of successful applicants in the e-mail. So people posted those stats in another thread. I thought it would be a good idea to have all those stats in one place. If you do a quick search you can find those numbers with relative ease.

Hey everyone,

The admissions website has just been updated!

Interview invites are coming the week of the 21st!

https://admissions.med.ualberta.ca/Communicating/DetailsNotice/1023

Nooooooo. :(

I wanted to hear back by the 14th.

is anyone else interviewing at saskatchewan as well that weekend? how are people dealing with that since alberta and sask interviews are during the same weekend?
Yup. That's why I wanted to hear back before Feb 14th.

Well, I'm an OOP applicant so my fate is up in the air!!!!!! It really depends on how they score my activities section.

Well, that does affect things slightly, regardless, best of luck to you. :)

This is one of the times that it is actually worth it to live in Alberta... :D

Well, that does affect things slightly, regardless, best of luck to you. :)

This is one of the times that it is actually worth it to live in Alberta... :D

You should be confident! I see that you got an interview last year! And you were a 3rd year applicant! You will definitely get an interview this year!!!

Best of Luck to you Mr. Gold!

is anyone else interviewing at saskatchewan as well that weekend? how are people dealing with that since alberta and sask interviews are during the same weekend?

I've known people who were in this situation before. Request to have your interviews on separate days (ex sat and sun morning), and you can take a plane there and back. Otherwise you'll probably have no choice but to turn one of them down.

ya i'm gonna schedule mine for sat morning 8:30am for sask which would mean i have to fly friday noonish in order to get there before dark. what i hate is that i have to give an seminar friday afternoon and monday im free so if i end up getting an invite to alberta it'll be worth rescheduling the seminar. else, i'll just be back on sunday. sigh*

You should be confident! I see that you got an interview last year! And you were a 3rd year applicant! You will definitely get an interview this year!!!

Best of Luck to you Mr. Gold!

:) Thank you!

My cGPA has stayed the same, although my grades last semester were literally only 0.01 below my previously submitted grades: 3.95 cGPA, and 3.94 fall GPA. I don't know if that would be substantial enough to change it, or if they change it at all?

Let's get geeky: If they use 'chemistry' style rounding, they would round 3.945 to the closest even number with the correct number of sig figs, i.e. 3.94.

If they are nice: They would round up, and I would stay at the same GPA. :)

Let's hope for the second choice. :)

Hopefully I'm a shoe-in... for getting through, and doing well, this next week of school... haha. I'm having a hard time staying focused at the moment, and I have five midterms in four days next week.

My exam schedule this semester is dis-pleasant, to say the least.. :eek:

Do you know how the U of A calculates the cGPA?

For example, if I calculate my GPA to include my last semester, it should be 3.988, or 3.985 without my last semester, but the cGPA says 3.98 instead of 3.99. Do they not round up? :(

Hot dang, that's a great GPA. :) Hopefully they round it up!

Keep it up!

Thank ya :)

But shouldn't even the 3.985 (which was my GPA before I applied) have been rounded up to a 3.99?

Hm! Well, perhaps they do round it off to the nearest even number if that is the case... Those meanies!

In all truth, the scoring difference would be so minimal, that it would/should not effect your placement.

Hm! Well, perhaps they do round it off to the nearest even number if that is the case... Those meanies!

In all truth, the scoring difference would be so minimal, that it would/should not effect your placement.

Darn. Meanies is right :P

Thanks for the reassurance... I'm a third year with average EC's so I need that GPA to be high haha.

Archived