Premed 101 Forums

Interview Discussion 2011

I think it's a good idea to get this thread started. Interviews will probably go out on February 22nd at the latest assuming they take Family Day off.

Here are the acceptance stats from last year:

--------------------------

For the 2/3 year pool:

CGPA MAX: 4.0

CGPA AVG: 3.93

PERSONAL ACT. MAX: 11.80

PERSONAL ACT. AVG: 8.58

MCAT MAX: 13.33 (40)

MCAT AVG: 11.81 (35)

WRITING SAMPLE MAX: T

WRITING SAMPLE AVG: R

REF. LETTERS MAX: 4.50

REF. LETTERS AVG: 3.50

INTERVIEW MAX: 22.32

INTERVIEW AVG: 19.25

Fourth Year Numbers:

CGPA MAX: 4.0

CGPA AVG: 3.89

PERSONAL ACT. MAX: 14.88

PERSONAL ACT. AVG: 8.61

MCAT MAX: 14.33 (43)

MCAT AVG: 11.28 (34)

WRITING SAMPLE MAX: T

WRITING SAMPLE AVG: Q

REF. LETTERS MAX: 5.00

REF. LETTERS AVG: 3.59

INTERVIEW MAX: 23.21

INTERVIEW AVG: 18.00

Discuss:

Are stats likely to go down with increased seats this year due to extra funding? Here are more numbers for everyone to appreciate.

-------------------------

Entering class of 2007

133 spots

3.80 GPA

10.88 MCAT

Entering class of 2009

172 spots -- Apparently this number is 188

3.80 GPA

10.71 MCAT

Entering class of 2010

167 spots

3.89 GPA

11.28 MCAT

I'm missing the 2008 data.

------------------------------

Also, here are the stats for those invited to interview.

------------------------------

In-Province Numbers:

CGPA: Max 4.0; Avg: 3.78

Personal Activities Score: Max 17.63; Avg: 8.16

MCAT Score: Max 14.33; Avg: 10.70

Writing Sample: Max T; Avg: Q

Out of Province Numbers for 2nd/3rd years

cGPA: 4.0, 3.98

PAS: 19.95, 8.9

MCAT: 13.67, 11.42

writing sample: T, R

Out of Province Numbers for 4th years

cGPA: 4.0, 3.92

PAS: 14.10, 8.28

MCAT: 13.33, 11.12

WS: T, Q

I hope this is helpful!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where did you get this from?

Also, I think your entering class of 2010 number is incorrect. It should be 167 (http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/ume/admissions/dofm_stats.cfm)

Somebody was talking about an article in another thread. Here's some information:

From the article I think you're referencing.

-------------------------------

The province's advanced education facilities are waiting to hear who gets a piece of the $44 million from Alberta Health as details haven't been worked out, said Advanced Education spokeswoman Rachel Bouska.

The investment goes to meet the Tory government's commitment to create about 1,400 new post-secondary seats for physicians, registered nurses and licensed practical nurses, Bouska said.

The province of Alberta got $200 million in funding but only $44 million is for post-secondary education. And not all of that $44 million is going to towards Medical Schools. And again its not U of A, its both Calgary and U of A.

And there might not be more seats at all because:

However, Taft cautioned that onetime funding from the province can be tricky to navigate. Spaces opened one year need to be funded the next, so the province needs to work closely with the institutions doling out the extra dollars, he said.

So yeah... Unless you're referring to another article it's definitely not $200 million and in fact its not even $44 million.

yah I posted that article a really long time ago lol (around September I think). I doubt that seat numbers will increase. The province has a huge budget deficit. I'm actually concerned that they will decrease the number of seats further.

I actually got to speak with a cabinet member of Stelmach's government and he didn't give me an indication that seat numbers would be increasing. Also, because Stelmach is not running again, there is a lot of speculation that Doug Horner is leaving his post as Advanced Education Minister to run for Premier.

To a lot of grad students that I know who are heavily involved in student government, this is not a good thing

Update: Doug Horner has announced that he is running for Premier.

why was there such a big jump between 09 and 10 entering class in terms of

GPA? Do you think this trend will continue (probably not get any higher, but maintain)?

Entering class of 2009

3.80 GPA

Entering class of 2010

3.89 GPA

There were 21 fewer spots. And maybe that cohort was just smarter.

I don't really have anything to discuss. I just hope they send out invites/rejections next week!

Interesting. Wanna discuss the likelihood of invites coming out next week? :P

EDIT: I just e-mailed Janice to ask her for a tentative date of when she expects invites/ regrets to go out. I'll post her response when she gets back to me.

Interesting. Wanna discuss the likelihood of invites coming out next week? :P

EDIT: I just e-mailed Janice to ask her for a tentative date of when she expects invites/ regrets to go out. I'll post her response when she gets back to me.

Likelihood...*grumble grumble*...now I'm thinking about all the data I have for a study that needs to be analyzed. Who needs odds ratios, right?

lol

Not at all! More a shot at the person I'm doing the analysis for.

You know I ♥ your interview analysis.

Arrite Arrite I'll let this one pass. lol.

EDIT: this is what Janice had to say:

Students will be emailed from mid-to-late February to their University of Alberta email accounts only.

Regards,

Janice

Really Janice? really? I wanted some insider info, not the same stuff on the website...

I believe that students have until Feb. 15 to get in documentation such as completion of graduate degree requirements for consideration for interview.

Thus, Admissions cannot send out invites until they have processed this info. She's right, aim for a few days after the 15...

Don't worry...it will be here soon enough!;)

I believe that students have until Feb. 15 to get in documentation such as completion of graduate degree requirements for consideration for interview.

Thus, Admissions cannot send out invites until they have processed this info. She's right, aim for a few days after the 15...

Don't worry...it will be here soon enough!;)

I spoke with admissions and they said that they review the files to make sure they are completed (pre-reqs completed or enrolled...) and then they notify individuals whose files are incomplete and tell them they need to update it. Do they do this for all the files or only the individuals that might be getting an interview? Imagine going through 1200 files!

Archived