Premed 101 Forums

Questions about Mcgill Med?

bluejays1234

Hello there, I guess I fall into the category of 'long time lurker, first time poster' and I decided to Register because the people here seem very helpful :)

Anyways, I'm in my second semester at Dawson College currently in an 'Explorations Science' program because I didn't take chem and physics in highschool (quite a silly decision in hindsight). Because of this I'm pretty sure I'm out of the running for Pre-Med so I've accepted that and the fact that I have to take a somewhat longer route to Med.

My question is the following:

Because of the program I'm in I'm behind by two science courses, I've decided against taking summer courses to catch up and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to take a fifth semester. With that in mind, I decided to drop English (I had 7 courses this semester now I have 6). If I take a full course load in the next two semesters I'll only have 3 classes left to take in my 5th semester. Down the road, when I end up applying to Medicine, will the fact that I had to take a 5th semester in Cegep/ I didn't have a full course load in that semester raise a red flag at Mcgill? (or any other Med school for that matter). And will I get a chance to explain the reason for it in the application process?

Also, If I do take an extra semester in Cegep, I read on this forum that Mcgill wants its applicants to take a Full year from Sept- April/May (in terms of undegrad studies), does this mean I will end up having to delay my applying for an Undergrad in order to begin in the Fall?

Thanks in advance btw :), tried asking some of these questions to an academic advisor but they aren't exactly the most helpful bunch :P (especially for drop in).

Hi there and welcome.

I myself did exploration science and am now in my last semester in sciences.

I dont think it will hurt you if you take 5 courses in your semester at cegep, I dont see why this would pose a problem when applying, post UG.

Currently I am only taking 4-5 courses a semester because I have completed everything else. Point being, they wanna see if you can carry a full course load in university, i doubt the cegep course load matters much.

And for your second question, maybe someone else can explain better, im not fully sure but I believe you apply once a year to medical school, with that said, if you finish in the winter session you may have to wait a semester. Hopefully someone can clear up this last part.

Take care and hope this helped.

Archived