Premed 101 Forums

reasons for unmatched schools?

MrKhiladi

If a program doesn't get filled it's usually bc not enough applicants ranked it number one or two. Some Programs like UWOs London FM have a large number of spots but are not as strong a draw as being able to live close to family in Toronto. Lots of people will rank London but would prefer Toronto or the UWO regional program.

You are definitely right re. what happens if you rank a program 6 and you are denied your top 5, CaRMS will slot you in with your 6th rank spot.

Hope that helps...

Two possibilities:

1) Not enough students ranked the program high enough; if all the students who ranked it matched elsewhere first, then no one will match to that program

2) The program didn't rank enough students. If the program only wanted the best of the best, and only ranked a few people (and those people matched elsewhere first) OR the program knew they'd pick someone up in the second round or after the match, they might not rank very many people (or anyone), hoping to leave their spot open.

How Matching Works

hey darla, since you are from uwo, can you xplain the reason fm didnt fill last year.was it due to lack of applicants ranking or lack of good applicants?Having done med school there, whats ur opinion on the program.

thanx

From what I understand the program isn't great. I heard they tried pretty hard to recruit this year (expensive meals, cool freebies to all applicants). To put it in perspective they don't call it interview day, but rather "Recruitment Day."

hey darla, since you are from uwo, can you xplain the reason fm didnt fill last year.was it due to lack of applicants ranking or lack of good applicants?Having done med school there, whats ur opinion on the program.

thanx

From what I understand the program isn't great. I heard they tried pretty hard to recruit this year (expensive meals, cool freebies to all applicants). To put it in perspective they don't call it interview day, but rather "Recruitment Day."

thanx

Archived