Premed 101 Forums

Most sexual misconduct complaints involve foreign-trained MDs: report Read more: htt

thehumanmacbook

This article only pertains to Saskatchewan... Who knows if foreign-trained MDs have more problems in any other province or canada (or north america) in general..

Also, I'm pretty sure the reason behind this is corruption. In most countries outside of North America and Western europe, the legal system or police in general do not reply strongly to complaints from women about doctors.

Whereas in Canada, the police and legal system pounce on complaints like this.

I think it would be interesting to see the difference between males and females too. I'm surprised the article did not comment on this. My hypothesis is that males are more likely to be complained against, regardless of having acted inappropriately.

I think it would be interesting to see the difference between males and females too. I'm surprised the article did not comment on this. My hypothesis is that males are more likely to be complained against, regardless of having acted inappropriately.

good hypothesis.

possible scenarios and likely outcome:

guys get touched inappropriately by female physician= start of a movie

girls get touched inappropriately by male physician= start of a lawsuit

guys get touched inappropriately by male physician= start of a fight

girls get touched inappropriately by female physician= start of a movie

p.s. this is a joke.

Also, I'm pretty sure the reason behind this is corruption. In most countries outside of North America and Western europe, the legal system or police in general do not reply strongly to complaints from women about doctors. Whereas in Canada, the police and legal system pounce on complaints like this.

Not sure what you're saying . . . do you mean that 93% of Saskatchewan's sexual misconduct complaints are against foreign-trained MDs versus Canadian-trained MDs because the foreign-trained MDs think they can get away with it (because they got away with it back home)?

Not sure what you're saying . . . do you mean that 93% of Saskatchewan's sexual misconduct complaints are against foreign-trained MDs versus Canadian-trained MDs because the foreign-trained MDs think they can get away with it (because they got away with it back home)?

or maybe he's saying that it happens everywhere, just that here people get caught because the police/legal system aren't corrupt...

however, that doesn't really explain the vast difference in numbers stated in the report when comparing foreign-trained vs canadian-trained md's.

if that were the case the numbers should be more evenly distributed.

Actually, our small group discussed this yesterday with a family doc who doubles as an ethicist.

Summary:

1) This discrepancy may reflect (in part) cultural differences / communication problems

2) The Star Phoenix's timing could have been better (e.g. choosing not to publish this particular report at this particular moment in time)

3) At any rate, it's not feasible for any province to operate without foreign-trained medical talent (or male physicians, for that matter)

4) The overall number of complaints is low. In the 20 year period between '85-'05, the number of formally investigated complaints numbered around 2/year. That means that thousands of docs managed to see tens of thousands of patients without incident.

i agree, because i know "real" img's, not random joe from canada who goes to the caribbean (i live with one (non-caribbean/american/australian grad), and study with a bunch of them), the difficulty of getting an img spot here is so cut-throat the average canadian grad couldn't hold a candle to the 1 img that gets a spot in neuro in an entire province. these guys write god knows how many exams, have top scores, do osces, have to ace english fluency exams. these guys go through a more rigorous selection process than the average canadian medical student will ever have to.

one of the big problems no one ever talks about is the fact that we train **** loads of sponsored residents from saudi arabia and other countries, what a load of bull****, we have doctors here who want to practice in canada but we just sell residency positions to the highest bidders, but that's a whole other issue.

how are you presuming to know what I am assuming?

i agree, because i know "real" img's, not random joe from canada who goes to the caribbean (i live with one (non-caribbean/american/australian grad), and study with a bunch of them), the difficulty of getting an img spot here is so cut-throat the average canadian grad couldn't hold a candle to the 1 img that gets a spot in neuro in an entire province. these guys write god knows how many exams, have top scores, do osces, have to ace english fluency exams. these guys go through a more rigorous selection process than the average canadian medical student will ever have to.

They better have to if they didn't go through our education standards.

• 1 month later...

Archived