Premed 101 Forums

Live with a roommate or alone?

Live alone or with a roommate?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Live alone or with a roommate?

• Live alone
    • Live with a roommate

If you had the choice, would you live with a roommate or alone?

Are you thinking of getting a roommate?

I like living alone. I can be messy come exam time, and I like knowing I have the freedom to be as messy or as neat as I want :D If dishes are piling up in the sink...I'll get to it after the exam. If laundry is over-flowing, I'll get to it when I run out of clean clothes ;) If my living room is messy with books everywhere, I'll clean it when I want to! And best of all, I like knowing that I can go to bed at 8 pm if need be and no one has to know! :P

alone for sure, i like my privacy, i lived with room-mates twice, alone once and much prefer alone, you can do what you want, whenever, not have to worry about making conversation, personality differences, having people over etc.

i did room w/ a sig other for a bit and that was all right though, but that's diff than some random person i think

Alone by a long shot! I've had roomates before and it went well since most were friends I knew well but still rather live alone.

I'm a night owl and can sometimes be up till 4-5am during exams - with roomates I was always scared to bother someone. Like orange123, I just don't care for cleaning come exam time, and I like knowing I have the freedom not to. Exam period or not by books are always piled by subject on my couch (for some reason I rather and always sit on a cushion on the floor!). I also like having reminders posted around my place and my big calendar with all my to-dos, appointments, etc. in a place I can see often. I just find that with roomates you can't organize your things as freely. Finally, sometimes I rather just get home watch TV or study or whatever and not have to talk to anyone, or sometimes I feel like playing music a bit louder and dancing everywhere :P, none of which with roomates I could really do.

Like muse87, I did live with an ex bf in the past and that was fine, especially since he was a neat freak (which I'm not) and was a really great cook - he'd make sure I ate and ate well during higher stress periods :D. Right now I know that the next "roomate" I have will be because it's a sig other who doesn't mind my quirks and with whom I share certain habits thus not bothering nor being disrespectful towards anyone.

C

+ 1 to everything, I'm almost exactly the same.

Only prob was that one of best friend roomates would never clean (shed hide dishes in the oven n they wud mold), she also always stole my groceries and never bought anything, which I don't mind, except she was really rich and seriously should have baught bread at least :P. The other room mate had orgies in her room (I don't wanna listen, seriously!), was a nudist, and smoked up EVERY day maybe 3 times! I use drugs recreationally but I couldnt even leave the house w/o smelling like a complete pot head, by the end I had to leave to salvage the friendship, lol.

Only person I'll ever live w again is a gf who knows me well, there's no tip toing and it's more of a team effort, plus they're more likely to be like you.

Alone by a long shot! I've had roomates before and it went well since most were friends I knew well but still rather live alone.

C

I've had roommates before. They were slobs! I'm talking putting garbag bags in our living room and beer bottles up to the roof, leaving our door open at night, random guys in our dorm every night who would try and get into my room. I couldn't stand it. How did I end up with them? Well, there is this questionnaire you're supposed to fill out before you are matched with roomates. I wrote down: I don't drink, don't party frequently, very neat, quiet, etc. So I filled this thing out honestly, but roomates had their parents fill out this form for them! Ugh...

We tried getting a meeting with the RA but the RA didn't even show up to the meeting. I left within a month. It freaked me out so much that I never want to live with roommates again... ever.

Oh, and after I had moved most of my stuff out I went back around a week later to get my dresser (it was too heavy for me to move out by myself) and there was like this smelly ooze in the hallway. Yup, it was traced back to my old dorm.

I think it sort of depends if we're talking about res or a house. I lived in res first year and I would say 100% that living alone is better- you have your space and can keep it the way you want. Right now I live with 3 others and it's pretty good; I couldn't really imagine being alone in a house. Having your own room is key for sanity though.

I guess I'm going to be the odd one out but I like living with lots of housemates. But I do spend the vast majority of my weekdays out of the house (9am-midnight) and I also don't cook or eat at home. I like having my roommates there when I get bored haha

I guess it would be ok if you get along with your roommates. :)

Archived