Premed 101 Forums

MMI Interview Q&A

In the spirit of the (usually good, sometimes bad) freely given advice, please post any questions you have regarding the MMI at the U of A.

Please do not request specific examples / sample questions. This is not the place to do this - a google / forum / literature search will provide you with the examples that you need.

As previously stated by another member,

The interview process is still one that remains subjective to everyone on both sides of the table, and receiving advice from individuals who aren't actively taking part in the interview process this year may be helpful, but to what extent - who knows? I've been an interviewer in the past and wouldn't consider my own advice to be entirely reliable for the upcoming MMI, given how much the process fluctuates from year to year.

With that said, ask away.

Hi Wut?

Thanks for creating this! U of A is my top choices and I'm most certainly looking forward to the interview weekend!!!!!!!

Here are my questions.

1. What's the best way to organize your responses? Using the McDonald sample questino for example (it's the sample from U of A, where I'm the supervisor for one guy and one female meat cook, and they burnt the meat. How to handle this situation)? Is it necessary to have introduction - body - conclusion?

- The people at U of C interview emphasized about showing my open-mindedness in my MMI responses. How do I show my "open-mindedness" for U of A?

2. Prompt question usage - I think I remember reading it somewhere in this forum that prompt question usage = deduction of 1 point in my response. Is this true? Or is it better if I answer questinos thoroughly and then ask them to provide prompt questions?

3. How much in detail do we need to know about Healthcare laws/developments? Are there any specific questions asking about Alberta's health care services?

4. What was the main difference between U of C vs U of A interviews???

Thanks so much!

Yes pencil and paper, yes 1 minute warning bell, and I have no idea where everyone is getting this 1 prompt = -1 point because it's not true. Try to answer as thoroughly as possible without going in circles.

Main difference between U of A and U of C interviews...from my experience, U of C's questions are a lot more abstract and demand zero knowledge of current events, health care, ethics etc compared to U of A. That being said, we're not going to ask you to recite the Canadian Health Act or to debate the Emergency department crowding crisis.

Hi Wut?

Thanks for creating this! U of A is my top choices and I'm most certainly looking forward to the interview weekend!!!!!!!

Great to hear!

1. What's the best way to organize your responses...The people at U of C interview emphasized about showing my open-mindedness in my MMI responses. How do I show my "open-mindedness" for U of A?

One thing I've always felt very strongly about is to avoid being part of the 'cookie cutter'. It's also why whenever people ask me for advice regarding non-concrete things, I tend to simply outline options available.

As far as my own experience, I am not familiar with U of C's format, so I'll let someone else jump in here.

However, my best understanding of the term 'open mindedness' is with respects to being able to understand and approach an issue from multiple angles. What this means it essentially showing that you are able to empathize (putting yourself in other shoes), and in applicable instances, to sympathise (knowing how someone feels because you have gone through it yourself).

In other words, whether or not you feel strongly or have a particular opinion regarding an issue, you are still able to understand and communicate the viewpoints of others. If you are the sort of person who is great at defusing situations, or mediating arguments, this will come naturally for you.

Not sure if this helps - let me know if you would like more clarification.

2. Prompt question usage - I think I remember reading it somewhere in this forum that prompt question usage = deduction of 1 point in my response. Is this true? Or is it better if I answer questinos thoroughly and then ask them to provide prompt questions?

When I was involved with interviews, the interview committee chair made sure he reiterated the fact that - at least at the U of A - candidates were not penalized for using prompts. I'm not sure if that's changed, but I really wouldn't see why it would have since my time.

At the end of the day, prompts are a great way to help you out when you're stuck - losing a point (if you even do...) is probably better than getting stuck and rambling about irrelevant things. Also, you can think of prompts as a 'failsafe' at the end of a station if you finish early, as interviewers are technically instructed to give relevant prompts (i.e. they won't prompt you on things you have already iterated) though there is a bit of inter-interviewer variability in terms of the consistency with which this is applied

3. How much in detail do we need to know about Healthcare laws/developments? Are there any specific questions asking about Alberta's health care services?

AFAIK, you would be well suited to know major issues being considered in health care. No need to go and read up on the constitution / go into too many specifics, but if I were to be going through interviews, I would be happy with knowing major current events / 'controversial' (VERY loosely used term on my part) topics, and knowing enough to be able to discuss it and tie it into other topics that I know more about.

4. What was the main difference between U of C vs U of A interviews???

Thanks so much!

Sorry, I am not familiar with U of C interviews - maybe someone else can step in!

Just a quick question, it may have been answered in the mmi package that was given with the interview email but I may have overlooked it.

Are we given a 1 minute warning, like in Calgary, before our 8 mins are up?

If I remember correctly, you are permitted:

• 2 minutes to read the question
  • Eight minutes total to answer the question - the bell will ring at the beginning of the seventh minute

Long winded way of saying - yes, it is like Calgary :)

Are we given some paper and a pen/pencil to write down our ideas during the MMI?

Yes - you will be provided with a pencil and paper in your package given to you that day (if they haven't changed things in recent years).

The paper needs to be turned in at the end of the day. No need to bring your own writing utensils - everything you need (except personality and clothing) will be provided the same day. I would not risk bringing anything else on my person, on the safe side.

I have 2 more questions.

1. When people are marking my "communication" skills, will they be looking at how I talk (i.e. eye contact/voice/not stuttering etc...?)

Even though MMI is suppposed to be about evaluating my answers, it seems to me that a great proportions of the marking schemes have subjective components. I mean, what's the criteria for giving out "suitability for medicine" and "overall"?

Overall, would you say that presentation << content or presentation >> content?

2. It is mentioned above that we should keep track of current events. Does this current event specifically relates to medicine/health related field - euthanasia, abortion etc.....? For example, can we ever be asked about non-medical stuff, like Egypt revolution or Julian Assange stuff etc...?

I would imagine your marks would be significantly lower if you stared at a dot on the wall. There's a person in there with you; have positive body language and talk to that person.

You should know the issues in health care. Given how big the entire debacle around MP Sherman has been, I would be very surprised if they didn't throw a related question. If it completely flunks you and you show to have zero knowledge about health care (even something so mainstream), why would the medical associations really want you as part of their team?

Egypt and other world related events...not so much. But you can always use those circumstances to tie into your answer and give some real life precedent to your response.

Unless the instructions to the interviewers have changed between the last couple years and this year, you will find (and will be told during the info session just prior to entering the MMI) that the interviewers at U of A are much less responsive than at U of C. It isn't a bad thing, they are just told to not nod, smile, or be expressive. Sometimes it makes it hard because you feel like you are being stared down/not looked at at all, but then again you are not influenced by their reactions to what you are saying. Don't let it alarm you. Just state your part and ask for prompts if you need it.

I found the U of A prompts in the past were shorter. Again, this could have changed.

Yes - you will be provided with a pencil and paper in your package given to you that day (if they haven't changed things in recent years).

The paper needs to be turned in at the end of the day. No need to bring your own writing utensils - everything you need (except personality and clothing) will be provided the same day. I would not risk bringing anything else on my person, on the safe side.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. :)

Hello friends,

I do not know if my question has already been answered or not, however an answer or little guidance will be appreciated. I was wondering U of A has an MMI stipulation like that of University of Manitoba (pass 8 out of 11 station). I understand there will only 10 stations. Does any one if there is any specific number of stations that we need to "pass"?

Thank you in advance.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows whether the U of A has a station which requires candidates to analyze a picture (similar to U of C)...I recall there has been such a station in the past. Can anyone verify?

You should know the issues in health care. Given how big the entire debacle around MP Sherman has been, I would be very surprised if they didn't throw a related question.

Can somebody give me a link to this MP Sherman debacle? I've heard nothing about it... googling's not working either. [i'm from Ontario...]

Stations are marked on a scale of 1-7. There is no pass rate, your marks are added for a cumulative score and adjusted to be 25% of your entrance score.

U of A interviewers are told to be less responsive and more straightfaced to make the process more fair for the interviewees. They always use the example of an interviewer who absent mindedly nods, then the student will think that as a positive sign and keep going on that current train of thought, regardless if it was good or not.

As for the picture question I'm not able to discuss the content of our questions. I can guarantee you will not see a patient actor in any of the stations though and the guy giving the introduction presentation will reinforce that again.

Can somebody give me a link to this MP Sherman debacle? I've heard nothing about it... googling's not working either. [i'm from Ontario...]
Googling didn't work? Because I found a lot of articles by searching "Sherman Alberta health". Anyway, here are some of them:

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110308/edm_raj_110308/20110308/?hub=EdmontonHome

http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Sherman+asked+back+cancer+death+claims/4375830/story.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/prairies/alberta-health-minister-wants-whistle-blower-to-back-up-corruption-allegations/article1925835/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/alberta-mla-promises-proof-of-deaths-but-hasnt-provided-it-yet/article1933254/

It's been on the news in Ontario as well, especially the national news.

1. When people are marking my "communication" skills, will they be looking at how I talk (i.e. eye contact/voice/not stuttering etc...?)

Even though MMI is suppposed to be about evaluating my answers, it seems to me that a great proportions of the marking schemes have subjective components. I mean, what's the criteria for giving out "suitability for medicine" and "overall"?

Overall, would you say that presentation << content or presentation >> content?

You need a combination of both to score highly. There is indeed a section that grades a candidate's ability to communicate effectively, if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately, there is no good answer to your question regarding 'criteria'. As with many processes that involve a human component in its decision making, there will be some level of subjectivity, though the interview committee / administrators try to minimize this by setting ground rules and training interviewers. Fortunately, the MMI is designed to expose you to numerous individuals, which theoretically should 'average out' the extremes.

2. It is mentioned above that we should keep track of current events. Does this current event specifically relates to medicine/health related field - euthanasia, abortion etc.....? For example, can we ever be asked about non-medical stuff, like Egypt revolution or Julian Assange stuff etc...?

Difficult for me to say. I heard this as well, but personally I didn't prepare in particular for these situations. Mind you, I have a different approach to things, but I know of individuals who literally subscribed to X and Y magazine and read them religiously for months on end to prepare for the MMI.

It's all about your own method of preparation. Myself, I'm more of a 'ride the wave' sort of person, and I don't obsess about things like what I'm going to get asked in the interview. Others like to plan for every single possible contingency, and will get thrown off if something gets thrown onto their train tracks, so to speak.

Personally, I believe that you should do whatever preparation will make you comfortable. All I'm telling you that is that there is often a current event station. I don't really like to advocate for concrete or cookie cutter solutions because personally I think it doesn't give candidates the opportunity to let their individuality and uniqueness come through.

Hello friends,

I do not know if my question has already been answered or not, however an answer or little guidance will be appreciated. I was wondering U of A has an MMI stipulation like that of University of Manitoba (pass 8 out of 11 station). I understand there will only 10 stations. Does any one if there is any specific number of stations that we need to "pass"?

Thank you in advance.

There is no 'passing' grade at the U of A, to my knowledge. You are scored for individual components at each station. The only real way to 'fail' a station is to score a 'red flag' - these are usually reserved for 'special' individuals, but again, the value of the MMI is its ability to 'average' out interviewer experiences with the candidate. If not properly justified, one red flag won't exclude you, but multiple flags at multiple stations will raise some questions as to your suitability as a candidate for the U of A.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows whether the U of A has a station which requires candidates to analyze a picture (similar to U of C)...I recall there has been such a station in the past. Can anyone verify?

As previously indicated, any questions regarding specifics about content of the MMI will be given very ambigious and unhelpful answers ;)

• 11 months later...

I have some questions and was wondering if you guys could help me out..

1. Do I need to incorporate my personal experience when answering questions ?

(The question is situational question where I have to make choices given a certain situation.)

2. At the end of every room, I heard they ask you if I have any question.

Can anyone verify this? If true, what should I ask ??

3. This might have been asked in the past but I have zero knowledge on Canadian Health Care System and its issues etc...... (I could imagine but did not spend time reading on an article etc..)

So given a question about a current event, (or something that I have no knowledge on) do you guy have any suggestion as to how to deal with this situation ? Should I just be honest and let them lead me with prompt questions and so forth?

Thanks in advance :)e

I have some questions and was wondering if you guys could help me out..

1. Do I need to incorporate my personal experience when answering questions ?

(The question is situational question where I have to make choices given a certain situation.)

2. At the end of every room, I heard they ask you if I have any question.

Can anyone verify this? If true, what should I ask ??

3. This might have been asked in the past but I have zero knowledge on Canadian Health Care System and its issues etc...... (I could imagine but did not spend time reading on an article etc..)

So given a question about a current event, (or something that I have no knowledge on) do you guy have any suggestion as to how to deal with this situation ? Should I just be honest and let them lead me with prompt questions and so forth?

Thanks in advance :)e

UofA's MMI (and I'm pretty sure most MMI's in general) won't directly ask you specific, fact-based questions on the Canadian health care system (i.e. "tell us about Canada's policies and mandates on private healthcare). You also won't be given a question where knowledge of a specific current event is required (i.e. "what would you have done in the Darfur Crisis"). I don't think you'll ever find yourself in a situation where you can't answer a question because you don't have knowledge of a specific fact. In my opinion, you are likely being evaluated more on how well you deliver/construct your answer, as opposed to the factoids you talk about.

That being said, though you may not be directly asked point-blank questions on the healthcare system, having a good background understanding could be highly beneficial. If it was me, I would be very hesitant to enter an MMI with "zero" knowledge of the healthcare system. There are some very pressing issues/debates that you should have a general idea about (along the lines of doctors shortages in primary care/rural areas, private vs. public, and many others).

If you look around these forums, there are posters who have suggested decent, quick-read resources to give you a general overview of the canadian healthcare system. Knowing more can't hurt!

GL

have no idea where everyone is getting this 1 prompt = -1 point because it's not true. Try to answer as thoroughly as possible without going in circles.

I was in CAPS yesterday doing a mock MMI and the assesor said it's bad if you have to use the prompts as a crutch and that you will certainly get more points if you answer the prompts before they are actually asked. She also said that in the interest of "fairness", they have to ask the prompts in order so if you have already touched on the prompt enough I would summarize and move on to the next prompt to ensure you've answered everything.

So I guess I don't think it's necessarily bad to have a lot of prompts, it's just bad if you haven't answered any of the prompts before they give them. Does that make sense to anyone other than me? lol.

Archived