Premed 101 Forums

I Need Help

jt23

I've been thinking about my future since I was in Grade 10 - joining the right clubs, hanging with the right people.

I feel like my life is over.

How can I get out of this hole. I really want to became a dermatologist and there is nothing I want more than to get into a good med school.

Everything I do involves some aspect of medicine, whether it is TV shows (House & Gray's Anatomy & ER & Nip/Tuck) or the adult movies I watch involve doctors.

Listen to yourself man. Someone bent upon dermatology at this stage?

You're not dying to do medicine, you're dying for job security and a big paycheck.

You would loveee being an investment banker. It'll be tough to be a doc. And who knows if you'll like the job or if you'll be a 'good' doc.

Go in an empty room, sit down and think for a few minutes.

chill out. who knows when the world is gonna end...be grateful that you are still alive, got food to eat, have a place to sleep. being less anxious will help you deal with your current situation.

I totally agree. with things happening in my personal life right now, and with the earthquake in japan, it really gave me some perspective on things. So just relax, and if medicine is your goal, it will come with time.

chill out. who knows when the world is gonna end...be grateful that you are still alive, got food to eat, have a place to sleep. being less anxious will help you deal with your current situation.

Completely agree. Look at the big picture, and imagine you're a fantastic dentist who brings health white smiles to the faces of his patients.

Who said job satisfaction is so restricted to one profession? Live a little.

I am just so depressed...nothing seems to be working out for me.

I am so scared about what the future holds - what happens if I never get into Med School.

I've been thinking about my future since I was in Grade 10 - joining the right clubs, hanging with the right people.

How can I get out of this hole. I really want to became a dermatologist and there is nothing I want more than to get into a good med school.

I think I;m going to become more involved in the premed society to have some good influences, but I can't think of what else to do?

I am sorry you are feeling this way. What I'm hearing is that you're working to the hilt and still can't meet the high standards you have set for yourself. You sound like you feel as if people are breezing through school while life is passing you by.

The answer to your question about what happens if you never get into med school is: life will go on. The sun will rise and the sun will set each day. The world will not end.

I think you need to take a few steps back and relax. Finish this term (assuming you're in undergrad?) to the best of your abilities. Try to get to the gym or go for walks or play xbox kinect for half an hour to an hour a day--just be active. Make sure you socialize with people in person and don't talk about medicine or school. Talk about stuff that interests you (games, tv shows, music, dance, clubs, clothes, collecting coupons, whatever!).

I really think you need a little bit of time to see yourself as a multifaceted individual as opposed to a machine being built to get into med. As someone who has told others, since I was in grade 8 or so, that I want to be a doctor, I know it is hard when it doesn't look like that is what your future holds. Some of us don't have a linear path into medicine, and some of us think it is the one and only path but we all have gifts to share and maybe this is not the only path for us. Perhaps you will discover it as you reflect upon who you are, outside of being a pre-med.

Forget about what others say or what you think others are thinking. You worry about YOU and you only. I have had people tell me, to my face or behind my back, that maybe I should stop my 'academic heel dragging' and get on with my life. It is none of their business what I do, as long as I have purpose and am happy and not hurting anyone. Same goes for you and what is happening in your life.

Take care of yourself!

LL

Listen to yourself man. Someone bent upon dermatology at this stage?

You're not dying to do medicine, you're dying for job security and a big paycheck.

You would loveee being an investment banker. It'll be tough to be a doc. And who knows if you'll like the job or if you'll be a 'good' doc.

Go in an empty room, sit down and think for a few minutes.

Dude, what's your problem? Safe to say that Juice willl never be a 'good' Psychiatrist I guess.

OP, if you want to be a doctor, be a doctor. There's always a way.

I agree with LostLamb and I am sorry to hear that you have been feeling depressed. If you really want to be a dermatologist, you can make that happen. It's okay if you decide to take some time off for yourself or try a different path, and it doesn't mean that you can't be a doctor in the end. Just don't give up!

By the way, I have seen some incredibly insensitive posts on this thread. Mental health difficulties are not a joke...

Dude, what's your problem? Safe to say that Juice willl never be a 'good' Psychiatrist I guess.

loll, you're just angry I won't give in to your pc vs mac debate.

And how hypocritical of you to say I'll 'never be a good psychiatrist'!

loll, you're just angry I won't give in to your pc vs mac debate.

And how hypocritical of you to say I'll 'never be a good psychiatrist'!

Yeah, in the dedicated thread for Mac vs. PC, I care for the debate. Here, in this thread, the Mac vs. PC issue has nothing to do with what I said. You could have been someone totally different and I would have said the exact same thing.

Your post was out of line and that's all there is to it. To say that the OP should start looking into other professions just because they are not feeling the best, or "go sit in an empty room.." ??!! Come on...that's uncalled for.

Who are you to say the OP would love being an investment banker or that they are initerested in medicine for job security and money? And even if they are, why do you care?

I am just so depressed...nothing seems to be working out for me.

I am so scared about what the future holds - what happens if I never get into Med School.

I think I;m going to become more involved in the premed society to have some good influences, but I can't think of what else to do?

If you ever need to talk, feel free to give me a shout. Applying to medicine is tough and we all have our rough times. We are constantly evaluated, wondering if we are good enough, and it can really get to us. You're not alone in how you feel, some of us just don't want to admit weakness so I think you're very courageous in making this post. And don't listen to any of the negative posts on here. You don't need the negativity :) You need to stay positive and try your best to stay focused. Summer is creeping up, and I hope you have some great plans. I think that's what you need more than anything at this point. Summer will give you some time to relax and even *gasp* have fun. It's possible ;). You don't want to be consumed by the process to the point where you're saying things like "my life is over." Trust me, it's not worth it. And, I really hope you have been able to get some sleep, jt, and that you can feel better soon.

Yeah, in the dedicated thread for Mac vs. PC, I care for the debate. Here, in this thread, the Mac vs. PC issue has nothing to do with what I said. You could have been someone totally different and I would have said the exact same thing.

Your post was out of line and that's all there is to it. To say that the OP should start looking into other professions just because they are not feeling the best, or "go sit in an empty room.." ??!! Come on...that's uncalled for.

Who are you to say the OP would love being an investment banker or that they are initerested in medicine for job security and money? And even if they are, why do you care?

Why do I care? I answered because the poster asked.

And I honestly feel it will benefit the poster to sit in peace and think about themselves, their motives, their wants and what may be best for them.

I tell a few people majoring in environmental engineering or social work to be doctors because I feel some of them would actually make great doctors. It's my honest opinion.

Now relax buddy.

Hey guys,

So I didn't even realize this thread was posted by me some idiot friend of mine did it while I was at the library afk, I apologize if anyone feels cheated. It's ironic though because I am stressed out, I am depressed because I wrote two bad exams in a row just now and I feel like this year might go to crap. I am not that pretentious to determine my specialty before I begin professional school, but right now I want to maintain my marks I had around a 3.9 last term and I don't want it to drop down significantly, but the thing is I had two bad exams in a row one which was worth 35% this past Saturday, I was wondering how I could combat depression, not look my motivation and not end screwing over the term. Thanks again.

Really? I think you need new friends. That would help with the depression as well.

Archived