Premed 101 Forums

GTA Dental Hygienist to Dentist?

Hey guys,

I know there are a few threads out there with the same topic. However, I'm looking for some specific Toronto/Ontario/Canada information regarding how a RDH can make the switch into Dentistry in the most efficient manner (time wise).

My fiance is an RDH and she does not have any bachelors degree. She went to an accredited dental hygiene school and has >2 yrs of DH experience but that's about it.

Has anyone (in Canada, GTA area preferably) done this sort of thing before or is currently doing so? Can you please share your experiences? Are there any shorter DDS/DMD programs in the states? I've googled the #@%* out of this but theres just too much out there.

Please no hating, keep it to yourself, I don't want to hear all the saturation BS and so forth.

Unfortunately, you need to do a bachelors degree. They are required for admission in Canada. The dental hygene school is useless for dentistry admissions.

The ONLY thing that matters for U of T for example, is:

- Grades (over 3.8 pretty much mandatory, they count your best 3 years)

- DAT scores

- interview (which you get if your grades and DAT scores are good enough)

So basically a first step would be a bachelors degree. Unfortunately he is looking at 8 years minumum (4yrs bachelors, 4 dental school) before becoming a dentist. It does suck that the hygene school is useless, but it is for this purpose--the admissions in canada are not qualitative at all.

Note that I know nothing about the states' dent admissions.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Is it possible to do a 3 year bachelor degree for dentistry? For example, UFT Dentistry says:

Applicants must have completed three years of university education (i.e. at least 15 full year courses or

equivalent) in a program that demonstrates focus and coherence in education. In order to be eligible for

admission consideration, we must consider this education to be equivalent to three years of undergraduate

education at the University of Toronto.

Im guessing its not possible because higher level pre-reqs for dentistry will typically be four year courses...

What do you guys think? Thanks!!

you can do two years of university and apply to UofA because they only need two years. make sure you have the prerequisites and a high GPA

you can also do three years of university and apply to UBC, UofA, manitoba, and toronto. (not sure about saskatchewan)

these are canadian schools you don't need to finish a degree for

edit: keep in mind that you will need a very high GPA to be competitive (3.85+ or 85%+)

you can do two years of university and apply to UofA because they only need two years. make sure you have the prerequisites and a high GPA

you can also do three years of university and apply to UBC, UofA, manitoba, and toronto. (not sure about saskatchewan)

these are canadian schools you don't need to finish a degree for

edit: keep in mind that you will need a very high GPA to be competitive (3.85+ or 85%+)

I PM'd you, also as a note to aravis, he said he is from Ontario so chances of being admitted to schools like UofA, Manitoba ans Saskatchewan are close to 0 (and very slim for UBC)

Unfortunately, you need to do a bachelors degree. They are required for admission in Canada. The dental hygene school is useless for dentistry admissions.

The ONLY thing that matters for U of T for example, is:

- Grades (over 3.8 pretty much mandatory, they count your best 3 years)

- DAT scores

- interview (which you get if your grades and DAT scores are good enough)

So basically a first step would be a bachelors degree. Unfortunately he is looking at 8 years minumum (4yrs bachelors, 4 dental school) before becoming a dentist. It does suck that the hygene school is useless, but it is for this purpose--the admissions in canada are not qualitative at all.

Note that I know nothing about the states' dent admissions.

I couldn't agree with you more, GPA is definitely important and that 3.8 you quoted couldn't be more accurate. Getting the bachelors degree and going to dental school can be grueling but worth the investment. Just stay focused on your goal and don't let nothing stop you until you reached it.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

Is it possible to do a 3 year bachelor degree for dentistry? For example, UFT Dentistry says:

Applicants must have completed three years of university education (i.e. at least 15 full year courses or

equivalent) in a program that demonstrates focus and coherence in education. In order to be eligible for

admission consideration, we must consider this education to be equivalent to three years of undergraduate

education at the University of Toronto.

Im guessing its not possible because higher level pre-reqs for dentistry will typically be four year courses...

What do you guys think? Thanks!!

This is possible but the standards will be a lot higher for applicants who have 3 years in a bachelors degree.

Note that by 3 years it's meant that you can apply in your third year of your bachelor's degree (at least for U of T). I have friends who have gotten in this way; they never completed a full 4 years of undergrad. But yes, you do have to have a rather stellar first two years (3.9+) for this to happen!

Hey guys,

I know there are a few threads out there with the same topic. However, I'm looking for some specific Toronto/Ontario/Canada information regarding how a RDH can make the switch into Dentistry in the most efficient manner (time wise).

My fiance is an RDH and she does not have any bachelors degree. She went to an accredited dental hygiene school and has >2 yrs of DH experience but that's about it.

Has anyone (in Canada, GTA area preferably) done this sort of thing before or is currently doing so? Can you please share your experiences? Are there any shorter DDS/DMD programs in the states? I've googled the #@%* out of this but theres just too much out there.

Please no hating, keep it to yourself, I don't want to hear all the saturation BS and so forth.

Nice to hear about your interest and queries about the dental course but I personally feel that it is not about how much you have studied but it is also about how you market yourself in the international market. The way you market yourself is important rather than how many degrees you hold. So, I feel that you should opt for marketing ideas and techniques to improve your business.

As soon as one finishes his education and becomes a dentist, it is very essential for him to approach the consultants for internet dental advertising. He can get established when he gets proper exposure and this is possible only through having good dental consultant.

Archived