Premed 101 Forums

Am I too late in applying for grad school?

Hi everyone,

So, I have decided that I want to do grad school before applying for med and have been hunting for a supervisor for quite a while now with no success thus far. I am currently finishing off my undergraduate degree, have not written the MCAT (Writing it in August) and looking into doing a grad degree in between.

Am I too late in the process for graduate school? Are there other people on this forum that are in the same process? I feel that I have missed the deadlines to a lot of programs (because I was still trying to decide what to do and couldn't really make up my mind). I have applied to one program (just sent the applications and don't have a supervisor secured yet) and I am in the process of sending another application for a program while I still look for a supervisor.

Although I have been looking at things within basic science (like the kind of stuff I did in undergraduate), I am also VERY interested in things like population based studies related to health and global health kind of stuff. I love looking at things from a much broader perspective rather than narrowly focusing on studying a gene or protein etc....that's just my own interests....however, I can't seem to find any program that might suit my need for that. Anyone know of such programs? Also, should I apply to more programs at this point and continue looking for funding and supervisors....I am so confused...I do know the kinds of stuff I like to do and the kinds of stuff I don't like to do but I feel like I have either missed the deadlines to most programs or the deadlines are right around the corner. For those applying right now, what programs are you guys applying to? Do you all have secured supervisors with grants etc?

Alternatively, I am thinking that if graduate school doesn't work out, I could go back and do a second undergrad.....I don't know if there are any negative consequences in terms of medical school admissions for doing that. I know that UWO won't count the first degree at all (and I do meet there cutoff in my best years which are also my final two years for that matter)....and I guess, Queens looks at the recent two years, so they will look at the second degree as well which would be done over 2 years time. Any inputs on that? I don't want to to simply go back for a 5th year to take extra courses since that doesn't add anything of value to my resume so hence, I was looking at the second degree option. So, if I do go back for a second degree, am I putting myself at any disadvantage?

I am really confused.....any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

some graduate programs have multiple start dates, so you never really "miss the boat" per se.

I'd find a supervisor before even applying to the program. If you meet all the requirements for the program, and it isn't CRAZY competitive to get in, then gaining an acceptance will almost be a formality if you have a supervisor figured out.

What university(s) are you interested in studying at? Sounds like you'd be interested in either an MPH (Masters in Public Health) or Epidemiology.

some graduate programs have multiple start dates, so you never really "miss the boat" per se.

I'd find a supervisor before even applying to the program. If you meet all the requirements for the program, and it isn't CRAZY competitive to get in, then gaining an acceptance will almost be a formality if you have a supervisor figured out.

What university(s) are you interested in studying at? Sounds like you'd be interested in either an MPH (Masters in Public Health) or Epidemiology.

I am from Ontario so pretty much any school in Ontario is fine with me at this point. I looked tat the MPH and epi options at UofT and I have missed the deadline for that. Also, I know that its not crazy competitive and my grades are good enough to get me to grad school....but all the programs I have contacted thus far are very strict on deadlines and said to submit applications while still looking for a prof by the deadlines posted on their site...they won't accept late applications even if I have a prof willing to support me later on.....so it seems like taking a risk at this point and applying while still looking for profs and funding.......any advise on what programs I could look at that might still be accepting applications? (oh...a funded program would be nice as I don't want to go into more debt while doing grad school).

There's going to be a new Masters of Health Science program at the University of Ottawa this fall. It's geared towards students who want to take a multi-disciplinary approach to health and global health studies. It's still undergoing evaluation but it's going to be approved soon (hopefully) and then applications will open. Unfortunately there's no official information on the uOttawa website yet, but if you email sante.health@uottawa.ca and tell them you're interested in more information/applying they'll let you know as soon as possible when information is available.

I do have some more information so PM me if you're interested.

I know that they have rolling admission to the cellular and molecular medicine graduate programs at uOttawa as well, and you may want to see if they do or do not have firm cut offs for their global health and epi programs. It is also possible that there is rolling admission for the biochem/micro/immuno department as well.

Nice thing about Ottawa (at least in CMM) is that they guarantee some funding if you have the right GPA and this makes you much more attractive to profs (used to be A-, but might be up to an A).

I'd say...scour all grad school websites and call around! good luck!

LL

If you already meet the cutoffs for Western and Queen's, I assume your cGPA isn't so bad either. In that case, what would be the benefit of a second undergrad? If your first two years were OK, but not stellar and you really want to ensure competitiveness, just do a fifth year. That will raise your GPA, and improve your wGPA for UofT, Western, Queen's, and Ottawa med schools. Regardless of the second UG, McMaster would look at everything.

Normally, considering your stronger later years, I'd recommend the grad degree since you seem interested in research, but unfortunately, from my experience, deadlines are always pretty firm. Most of the programs I looked at originally had deadlines in January or Feb. Some programs have a March 31 deadline (forget which ones), so if you want to go the grad route then you need to buckle down these next two weeks. Also, for many of the schools/programs I looked into, applications were only accepted for Fall admission, but I guess it depends.

If you already meet the cutoffs for Western and Queen's, I assume your cGPA isn't so bad either. In that case, what would be the benefit of a second undergrad? If your first two years were OK, but not stellar and you really want to ensure competitiveness, just do a fifth year. That will raise your GPA, and improve your wGPA for UofT, Western, Queen's, and Ottawa med schools. Regardless of the second UG, McMaster would look at everything.

Normally, considering your stronger later years, I'd recommend the grad degree since you seem interested in research, but unfortunately, from my experience, deadlines are always pretty firm. Most of the programs I looked at originally had deadlines in January or Feb. Some programs have a March 31 deadline (forget which ones), so if you want to go the grad route then you need to buckle down these next two weeks. Also, for many of the schools/programs I looked into, applications were only accepted for Fall admission, but I guess it depends.

Thanks for the response!

I looked at doing a fifth year (i.e. going back as a non degree candidate) and doing some random courses but that doesn't seem to be helping me in any way...Ottawa won't count that and I already meet the cutoffs for queens and western, have a decent wGPA for UofT, do not make the cutoff for Ottawa though with the recent 3 years (b/c got a C+ in a stupid course in second year thats bringing the wGPA down)....my cGPA is OK (not stellar) ~ 3.6ish b/c of the first two years (esp the first year:( )...I guess a second UG won't help much (except for Ottawa and Mac, possibly UofT) but it would give me something else to write on my CV in general rather than a 5th year....which doesn't seem to hold any value at this point.

Not sure what to do at this point.....I do love research, have done it before but not really interested in the biochem/molecular areas....want to look at health from a much broader perspective.........terribly confused :confused:

If you hold off on your "request to graduate", (i.e. Formal statement to the university that you agree to convocate in May), your fifth year would still count towards your degree. I have a couple friends who have done it. I think in this case the GPA would count towards uOttawa, and then your first two years would be abolished from the wGPA calc. And UofT drops your 8 worst semester courses so I think that would bring up your wGPA for Toronto a lot - especially with one more killer year. CV wise, a second UG won't give you anything practical for the future in the event med school doesn't work out, unless it's a standalone degree that can get you a job, I.e. Engineering. If I were you, and I couldn't find any good grad positions, I would either do a 5th year and then apply to grad schools and med schools for the year after, or I would take the year off, work and get some life experiences and again apply to both grad school and med school for the year after. Depends on where you think your application needs the most improvement and what you're willing to do or sacrifice to improve it.

Thanks for the response!

I looked at doing a fifth year (i.e. going back as a non degree candidate) and doing some random courses but that doesn't seem to be helping me in any way...Ottawa won't count that and I already meet the cutoffs for queens and western, have a decent wGPA for UofT, do not make the cutoff for Ottawa though with the recent 3 years (b/c got a C+ in a stupid course in second year thats bringing the wGPA down)....my cGPA is OK (not stellar) ~ 3.6ish b/c of the first two years (esp the first year:( )...I guess a second UG won't help much (except for Ottawa and Mac, possibly UofT) but it would give me something else to write on my CV in general rather than a 5th year....which doesn't seem to hold any value at this point.

Not sure what to do at this point.....I do love research, have done it before but not really interested in the biochem/molecular areas....want to look at health from a much broader perspective.........terribly confused :confused:

I have already submitted a statement requesting to graduate and my request was accepted....so thats may not an option for me at this point....although I might be able to ask them to hold off on that request (in the worst case scenario).

I am thinking of continuing to look for a prof and if I can't find anything suitable for my needs, then will take a year off and hope to find a decent job....however, I really want to use the time to do something that would improve my application....

Is anyone else going through the same process right now? (Looking for a supervisor and interested in applying for grad school).

Guest booya

Sounds like you're running into a pretty common problem. I don't know if things have changed in the last 2 years but I know that they used to accept people up until the week before classes started. I think the key with most grad programs are that you find an advisor who realizes that they want you and then the whole deadline game completely changes...if a prof wants you in then chances are they'll find a way to make it happen.

Sounds like you're running into a pretty common problem. I don't know if things have changed in the last 2 years but I know that they used to accept people up until the week before classes started. I think the key with most grad programs are that you find an advisor who realizes that they want you and then the whole deadline game completely changes...if a prof wants you in then chances are they'll find a way to make it happen.

That's what I thought as well but a lot of the programs I have looked at have strict deadlines (I contacted the programs/schools too).....and I am still in the same position as sunshine.....all I can say is keep looking or you can always start in January if necessary (although not all programs have a January start date).

Hi everyone,

I am also VERY interested in things like population based studies related to health and global health kind of stuff. I love looking at things from a much broader perspective rather than narrowly focusing on studying a gene or protein etc....that's just my own interests....however, I can't seem to find any program that might suit my need for that. Anyone know of such programs?

That's a stick situation :(.

I'm not sure about deadlines but if you are interestsed in global health, etc have you looked into the Dalla Lana School of Public Health at UofT? There are quite a few other schools with public health programs as well ... I know York has one.

Good luck!

That's a stick situation :(.

I'm not sure about deadlines but if you are interestsed in global health, etc have you looked into the Dalla Lana School of Public Health at UofT? There are quite a few other schools with public health programs as well ... I know York has one.

Good luck!

Hi DragonX,

I looked at Dalla Lana at UofT but the deadline has passed and it is not a funded program. I could not find anything of similar nature at York.....do you have link for the York's program you mentioned?

Hi everyone,

So, I have decided that I want to do grad school before applying for med and have been hunting for a supervisor for quite a while now with no success thus far. I am currently finishing off my undergraduate degree, have not written the MCAT (Writing it in August) and looking into doing a grad degree in between.

Am I too late in the process for graduate school? Are there other people on this forum that are in the same process? I feel that I have missed the deadlines to a lot of programs (because I was still trying to decide what to do and couldn't really make up my mind). I have applied to one program (just sent the applications and don't have a supervisor secured yet) and I am in the process of sending another application for a program while I still look for a supervisor.

Although I have been looking at things within basic science (like the kind of stuff I did in undergraduate), I am also VERY interested in things like population based studies related to health and global health kind of stuff. I love looking at things from a much broader perspective rather than narrowly focusing on studying a gene or protein etc....that's just my own interests....however, I can't seem to find any program that might suit my need for that. Anyone know of such programs? Also, should I apply to more programs at this point and continue looking for funding and supervisors....I am so confused...I do know the kinds of stuff I like to do and the kinds of stuff I don't like to do but I feel like I have either missed the deadlines to most programs or the deadlines are right around the corner. For those applying right now, what programs are you guys applying to? Do you all have secured supervisors with grants etc?

Alternatively, I am thinking that if graduate school doesn't work out, I could go back and do a second undergrad.....I don't know if there are any negative consequences in terms of medical school admissions for doing that. I know that UWO won't count the first degree at all (and I do meet there cutoff in my best years which are also my final two years for that matter)....and I guess, Queens looks at the recent two years, so they will look at the second degree as well which would be done over 2 years time. Any inputs on that? I don't want to to simply go back for a 5th year to take extra courses since that doesn't add anything of value to my resume so hence, I was looking at the second degree option. So, if I do go back for a second degree, am I putting myself at any disadvantage?

I am really confused.....any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

hi there. if you don't mind moving to Quebec. A lot of graduate programs have deadlines in May for September entrance. So you would not be considered "late" if you start looking for a potential supervisor now. (even some programs like experimental medicine at McGill would accept your application without having a supervisor initially, you would just have to find one before September).

My GPA was okay so I did not do a second degree.

Good luck!

Thanks DragonX!

The deadline for this program is also gone and I called to ask....no late applications accepted and no January starts :(

Anyone else out there who is in the same situation right now.....still applying for grad school and looking for supervisor or has everyone already applied?

No problem, deadline is gone too :( ?

I hope you figure out something that works. Perhaps the Quebec route might work.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I have applied to 2 programs - I am seeking a supervisor for one of them right now, the other program.....applicants were told to wait till they hear back about their admissions and funding package from the admissions committee before attempting to contact potential supervisors....so I just have to wait to hear back from them before I begin my hunt there and I am going to put in an application at my own school (deadline is April 1) while I am in talks with 2 potential supervisors....will see what happens, if not, then I will look into the Quebec option and if all else fails, then I have made up my mind that I will take a year off (work, travel, apply to med school in the upcoming cycle if everything goes well with the MCAT this summer and also work on a plan B regarding what else I could do)..........agggghhhh, never thought finding a supervisor would be this hard....I really had my eye on the 2 programs for a long while and I have already applied to those....I began looking for a prof early too but just couldn't one that had enough funding.

Although, I am surprised to see that no one else is in a similar position (except for mymeddream).............

A little late to this thread, but I totally understand the frustration. Applying to do a MSc is much more stressful than other masters programs in my personal opinion because you have to convince someone to supervise you based on a paper representation of you (CV/transcript).

I've been e-mailing potential supervisors since January (probably about 20 in total; @UBC, UT, UofC, and UofA). Unfortunately, I go to Waterloo so convincing someone out west who has never met me was incredibly difficult, especially considering that I spaced on OGS/NSERC and have no funding :( . So I managed to have 2 out of the 20 potential supervisors contact me, one of which wanted me to commit to doing a PhD otherwise refused to supervise me. Had a phone interview with the other supervisor yesterday and looks like all systems are go now :D . Also, the deadline for me was Feb. 1, but if you secure a supervisor who agrees to fund and supervise you then the deadlines mean nothing.

Long story short, its definitely not too late don't give up. Do a little research on their publications and mention specifics about stuff you find interesting in their research.

Archived