Premed 101 Forums

Mentioning research in interview

So I did some clinical/quality improvement research in undergrad. What came out of it was a poster which I presented at one of the national conferences this research was pertinent to. There will be no paper. Should I bother mentioning it in my interview? It seems that many applicants have already published etc etc... it doesn't seem very impressive in comparison lol

Thanks!

So I did some clinical/quality improvement research in undergrad. What came out of it was a poster which I presented at one of the national conferences this research was pertinent to. There will be no paper. Should I bother mentioning it in my interview? It seems that many applicants have already published etc etc... it doesn't seem very impressive in comparison lol

Thanks!

Mention it for sure, it can't hurt.

Mention it if they ask something that makes it relevant. I wouldn't go in with a "make sure you mention it" attitude regarding any EC.

Now, I think there are lots and lots of questions they could ask where it would be relevant, and in that case, definitely bring it up!

I just wouldn't come out dissappointed if you didn't get the chance to mention a particular EC. A lot of people have posted after their closed-file interviews that they felt they didn't get a chance to mention their ECs. Mentionning specific ECs does not matter, but rather answering the question does.

I agree with gb35. I have also presented 2 different research posters at regional meetings and never got to mention either in my interview last year but still felt I had done a good job in the interview overall. If you can seamlessly mold your EC into the answer of a question, go for it. Otherwise you'll come off sounding weird for adding irrelevant things into your answer. But, if you're DYING to include a certain EC in the interview, mention it in the "tell me about yourself" part of the interview as something that makes you unique or is important to you, etc.

Is there traditionally material that should be covered in the "tell me about yourself" types of questions? I always find those throw me off because I have no idea what or how much people want to hear.

At an interview prep session, they told us that they don't want to hear your life story, and that they don't want a checklist either. I guess be prepared to be honest about highlighting certain achievements and/or important events in your life and how it has shaped you into the individual you are today. Do all this under 2.5 mintues and it should be gold :D

Archived