Premed 101 Forums

This may be a dumb question (research)

legitpro

How come I need a professor or supervisors help to get published? Why can't I just write my own paper and try to get it submitted?

-couldn't I just get a couple thousand drosophila flies in a jar and do testing on it?

EDIT:

-thought about doing it in my parents bathroom.

-I am only in my 1st year of a science student so i am not an expert at this researching stuff

Guest copacetic

where are you gonna get these flies? do you have an animal use protocol? no journal will accept research done on animals unless you have ethics approval and an animal use protocol. has to be approved by IRB. Also where are you getting the funding? what lab space? do you have the facilities to raise drosophila? The world of research is highly regulated, you cant just do whatever you want

...-I am only in my 1st year of a science student so i am not an expert at this researching stuff

Therein lies the problem. At this stage, you wouldn't even know how to do research, what questions to ask, what areas need more research, what hypotheses to test or how to test them. You need to be an expert in the field to be able to think of meaningful things like that, or at least have more background than first year basic science. You are not considered an expert in a particular field until you have a PhD, so undergrads and grad students need a supervisor with a PhD to make sure they're doing things right.

Perhaps some of the study's you've read seem like no brainers in hind sight, but thinking of those experiments before anyone knew anything about that particular area is very difficult. It's not easy for us to conceptualize their thought process in finding those past results and as a result, sometimes reading old papers makes it seem like anyone can do research, find something meaningful and publish in Nature or the New England Journal of Medicine, but that's really not the case. I.e. The thought that smoking is related to cancer is common sense nowadays, but way back when no one had a clue.

How come I need a professor or supervisors help to get published? Why can't I just write my own paper and try to get it submitted?

-couldn't I just get a couple thousand drosophila flies in a jar and do testing on it?

EDIT:

-thought about doing it in my parents bathroom.

-I am only in my 1st year of a science student so i am not an expert at this researching stuff

Actually laughed a lot, out loud when I read this. I know it's mean but come on.

Actually laughed a lot, out loud when I read this. I know it's mean but come on.

I actually think it is pretty disrespectful for you to be writing that. I am coming here looking for advice, and this is what this forum is all about, meeting other people like yourself who are on the same route as you.

If you think my thread is something to laugh about keep it to yourself, and don't go posting on here to recruit other like you so that I can be made fun of.

I take the demeaning of others very seriously, I know many people that I cared about that were made fun of and it hurt them, it hurt me as well. That person you are making fun of is somebodies child could be someones brother or sister, I for one can't handle hazing, bullying, and making fun of others for ones amusement.

I actually think it is pretty disrespectful for you to be writing that. I am coming here looking for advice, and this is what this forum is all about, meeting other people like yourself who are on the same route as you.

If you think my thread is something to laugh about keep it to yourself, and don't go posting on here to recruit other like you so that I can be made fun of.

I take the demeaning of others very seriously, I know many people that I cared about that were made fun of and it hurt them, it hurt me as well. That person you are making fun of is somebodies child could be someones brother or sister, I for one can't handle hazing, bullying, and making fun of others for ones amusement.

I wouldn't have laughed if you had phrased the question in another way. I'm sure everyone has questioned how research works when they first entered undergrad but to say you will do research in your parents' bathroom is asking for it, imo.

I could delete this thread however I feel that the communitry of premed101 should here me out, expecially that if these are the people going into the medical profession.

I am not going to respond to this thread after this last post.

What I am trying to get into research, you have to start asking questions at some point. If your too afraid to ask question cause jerks would make fun of you that isn't going to help you in life.

For you heartless people who decide to play this off as a joke "troll" you should seriously rethink the effect one person can have on the life of an another. As for being a troll, I would not joke around with bullying it is a topic that has really effeted me personally. Obiously none of you posters knew killed themselves cause they got bullied in school.

Everyone means something to someone in this world. With that I leave you with this video

uSMlIM9zLio

I could delete this thread however I feel that the communitry of premed101 should here me out, expecially that if these are the people going into the medical profession.

What I am trying to get into research, you have to start asking questions at some point. If your too afraid to ask question cause jerks like would make fun of you that isn't going to help you in life.

For you heartless people who decide to play this off as a joke "troll" you should seriously rethink the effect one person can have on the life of an another. As for being a troll, I would not joke around with bullying it is a topic that has really effeted me personally. Obiously none of you posters knew killed themselves cause they got bullied in school.

Everyone means something to someone in this world. With that I leave you with this video

EDIT: You can't delete threads unless you wield the power of the mod.

uSMlIM9zLio

With all the name-calling and trolling aside, if you're really interested in research I think you should go talk to a professor about what the research world is really like. They are the ones who really dedicate their lives to it, and I'm sure they will be interested in answering some of your questions.

There's no need to be offended by anonymous people on the internet. They can be helpful, they can be mean. This is the same in real life.

Then again, your question was a bit shocking at first so I admit - I also thought you were trolling.

You're not being bullied... we're just laughing at the thought of researching drosophila in your parents' washroom.

Just wait till you're a clerk/resident. You think everyone is going to walk on eggshells around you?

Given that you posted this on April Fools... lighten up.

Yeah I don't think the OP is trying to fool anyone. If you look at the general premed discussions page, the OP posted two consecutive questions pertaining to research, so I think it's fair game. Plus, I think we'd all be fooling ourselves if we were to say we never thought of the OPs question before. I know when I first started getting into research I was thinking the same question at least.

Anyways, OP, see my original post on page one for my explanation as to why you need a supervisor. That said, supervisors only really pertain to scientific work as far as I know. For example, provided you have a sufficient background in philosophy, you could probably publish something in a philosophy journal on your own. Philosophy papers pretty much never have more than one author.

What I am trying to get into research, you have to start asking questions at some point. If your too afraid to ask question cause jerks would make fun of you that isn't going to help you in life.

uSMlIM9zLio

If you are serious about gaining research experience, don't hesitate to send me a PM. I go to a small university, these are excellent places to gain research experiences (theoretically, you have a greater opportunity to know your profs therefore breaking the ice when asking them about research opportunities).

In your view, if you were sincere in your post, which seems to be the case from your reaction and your good intent in previous posts, I can understand how you might be offended by the other posts members have made. But just keep in mind that trolls exist on the forum, and members who have dealt and seen trolls in the past saw some of these characteristics in this post. The fault is niether you, nor the members. It was a misunderstanding of intentions on both parts. Be strong, try to understand both points of view to a story, and honestly there's no reason in taking this kind of stuff personal. It isn't personal. We are all wearing masks here on the forum, no one can see your true character when posting a question nor can anyone see the hurt you felt when you read the negative comments. So stay positive and don't be afraid to ask questions in the future since often we have to ask questions no matter how dumb we think they are or else we'll never learn anything in the end.

Archived