Premed 101 Forums

Wait list Movement

I have *heard* that traditionally uOttawa goes pretty deep into their waitlist. If my sources were right, they've gone back and offered to previously unaccepted (hate the word rejected) applicants, similar to how they invited previously "uninvited" applicants to interview this year...

Let's just hope that we're all initially in and it won't come to this! :D

I have *heard* that traditionally uOttawa goes pretty deep into their waitlist. If my sources were right, they've gone back and offered to previously unaccepted (hate the word rejected) applicants, similar to how they invited previously "uninvited" applicants to interview this year...

Let's just hope that we're all initially in and it won't come to this! :D

I hear that was just for one year (where they had to offer acceptances to rejected people). They learned their lesson after that. That's what my sources told me.

Will Ottawa let you know if you are on the waitlist or do they simply send a letter saying that you are either offered admission or not offered admission at this time (ie is there a waitlist letter and a rejected letter, and by getting a rejection letter you have no chance of moving in)?

Will Ottawa let you know if you are on the waitlist or do they simply send a letter saying that you are either offered admission or not offered admission at this time (ie is there a waitlist letter and a rejected letter, and by getting a rejection letter you have no chance of moving in)?

I think they send out two types of rejection letter (one is good waitlist, the other one is bad waitlist). they are pretty much the same except one says you are not likely to gain admission.

Wow it moved 98 spots in 07/08 vs. 58 in the year after. That's almost double!

Did anything particular happen in the 07/08 cycle?

I think this was the year where the double cohort graduated university and entered grad school. So it was probably an anomaly due to so many applicants, perhaps they under-accepted in anticipation of this or something along those lines. That is my guess.

-double cohort was in 2003/2004 so 4 years later would be 2007/2008.

For the last several years you either get an acceptance, good waitlist or bad waitlist email.

Difference between good and bad waitlist, is the bad one will say based on your position it's unlikely you'll receive an offer.

Some years they'll clear the good list and actually take people from the unlikely list, other years they leave people on the good list without an offer.

I suppose I should rephrase then.

The odd year, they've barely made it to the bad list and for the last several years it hasn't happened. Receiving that letter is an indication to make other plans. This way, if the waitlist goes abnormally far down, they're still taking waitlisted students and not a "rejected" applicant which is bad PR.

I actually appreciated this approach. A few other schools generically waitlist WAY MORE than they will need just to ensure they don't resort to having to invite rejected applicants. So you don't know if you're waiting at position #10 or #250. At Ottawa, if you're on the regular waitlist, you have a decent shot still.

It is eerily quiet in the Ottawa forum... you guys holding up alright?

11 days until we find out :)

I guess everyone's just busy living the dream. I'm personally trying to figure out why Ottawa seems to be so unpopular compared to the rest of the Ontario schools. As you know, I absolutely loved it there.

I guess everyone's just busy living the dream. I'm personally trying to figure out why Ottawa seems to be so unpopular compared to the rest of the Ontario schools. As you know, I absolutely loved it there.

I know, it does seem abnormally low on people's radar but seemed like an awesome place to go to school. 4/5 afternoons off every week, connected to a couple hospitals, get to do electives starting right away, staff and students seemed friendly, p/f, good CaRMS results, computer based curriculum, sounds pretty good to me!

I know, it does seem abnormally low on people's radar but seemed like an awesome place to go to school. 4/5 afternoons off every week, connected to a couple hospitals, get to do electives starting right away, staff and students seemed friendly, p/f, good CaRMS results, computer based curriculum, sounds pretty good to me!

I'd say it's probably because other schools like Toronto or Western have built up a reputation and name for themselves. To be honest, as someone not from Ontario, even I originally hadn't given much consideration or had heard much about Ottawa during my pre-med years. But now, I would definitely say the complete opposite. Ottawa is an amazing school for all the reasons that Larrivee mentioned, as well as many more not mentioned. :)

ottawa is a pretty decent school...just watch out for their sub-par admin staff. ottawa is notorious for having students (undergrad + grad) run around in loops for info and next to nothing access to academic advisors. i was talking to a few med students there and they said admin doesn't get any better. one person was complaining about this lady who arranged his third year clerkship wrong and he ended up in some rural location with no public transportation (and this guy stated very clearly that he didn't have a car to her. -.-"

ottawa is a pretty decent school...just watch out for their sub-par admin staff. ottawa is notorious for having students (undergrad + grad) run around in loops for info and next to nothing access to academic advisors. i was talking to a few med students there and they said admin doesn't get any better. one person was complaining about this lady who arranged his third year clerkship wrong and he ended up in some rural location with no public transportation (and this guy stated very clearly that he didn't have a car to her. -.-"

Not true AT ALL for med. The admin staff, at least for preclerkship, are incredible. They'll go out of their way to get anything done for you. They frequently inform me of opportunities or reimbursements that I never would have found myself.

As for the student you know, it's mandatory at Ottawa U to do one month in a rural setting in 3rd/4th year. The student should have known this going in. I've ever been anywhere rural that had a decent transit system. There is frequently accommodation close to clinic/hospital for rural rotations. It's up to the student to ask or to arrange his own rural elective in 4th year.

Not true AT ALL for med. The admin staff, at least for preclerkship, are incredible. They'll go out of their way to get anything done for you. They frequently inform me of opportunities or reimbursements that I never would have found myself.

As for the student you know, it's mandatory at Ottawa U to do one month in a rural setting in 3rd/4th year. The student should have known this going in. I've ever been anywhere rural that had a decent transit system. There is frequently accommodation close to clinic/hospital for rural rotations. It's up to the student to ask or to arrange his own rural elective in 4th year.

Good to hear, thanks for clarifying senor!

Hey guys,

So let me get this straight:

if you are accepted at Ottawa you get a phone call, a email notification and a letter (not sure about the letter). When will you get the phone call?

if you are not waitlisted then you simply get an email notification and a letter (again I'm not sure about the letter)?

Archived