Premed 101 Forums

IP waiting thread

Which category do you fall under for the class of 2015? (anonymous of course)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which category do you fall under for the class of 2015? (anonymous of course)

• NS waitlist
    • NB waitlist
    • PEI waitlist
    • OOP waitlist
    • Not waitlisted, I'm just interested in everything Dal
    • Troll

I realized my z-score is the one missing from the list. It is: 21.83961 (with my raw score being 69.1). However, this is what I was told about the z-scores: "We use the Z-score to rank order applicants as often some have the same total scores. It does not tell you where you rank overall."

Congratulations Tiderip. I wish the NS list had moved that far along! We would all be in by now :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all,

First, I talked to med admissions today...and it sounded as if the existing people on the wait list will not be judged against the new admissions requirements. i.e., If you are a Grad-student, and have not worked for a year in NS prior to September of 2011, you will still qualify for this year. However, current Grad-students applying for next year, are applicable to the new admissions requirements.

Second, good news is that only 82 students are enrolled currently in med:

https://dalonline.dal.ca/PROD/fysktime.P_DisplaySchedule?s_term=201200&s_subj=MEDI&format=1

Total seats: 108 + 10 international

63 NS, 30 NB, 6 PEI, and 9 OPP (as I understand it).

gecko.

So is the consensus that the ranking goes as follows: ranked first by the total raw score of your application, and then second by the z-scores to differentiate between people with the same total score?

So for example R=Raw, Z=Z-score we would order:

R-70,Z-24

R-69.9,Z-17.3

R-69.8,Z-13.8

R-69.8,Z-13

R-69.1,Z-21.8

R-67.6,Z-9.6

Hey all...

Talked to Dr Sutton, and here is what she said:

"All applicants (offered and wait listed) are ranked by their z scores within their respective applicant pools. An understanding of z scores explains why this is fairest. ES"

That being said, here is the new spread:

13 gecko

these are the scores as I've heard through the rumor-mill...

Good luck to everyone! and Congrats to Potter!

gecko

Hey all...

Talked to Dr Sutton, and here is what she said:

"All applicants (offered and wait listed) are ranked by their z scores within their respective applicant pools. An understanding of z scores explains why this is fairest. ES"

It seems like what people have heard from Dr. Sutton contradicts each other? I guess we will know if the next person accepted in the NS pool is the 69.1 raw and 21.8 z-score?

I emailed Dr Sutton regarding the z score and here was her reply:

"The rank order list for all applicants is determined by the total z score." It therefore seems to me that we are all ranked solely based on our z score. Mine is a 12.88 with a raw of 69.8 (and it was included in gecko's most recent compilation).

Here's the paper I found on premed that describes z-scores in relation to medical school admissions. The z-score stuff is near the end, although I think it might be missing some details. The main jist is that you need to account for the standard deviation of each separate metric.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w7q454nj577642l0/

And in case that link doesn't work for people who aren't on a university library system, it's called: Where Judgement Fails: Pitfalls in the Selection Process for Medical Personnel by Kevin W. Eva and Harold I. Reiter

I think that some people above were calculating raw score via [sum of (raw scores)*(percentage weights)] I'm not sure that is the correct way, as when I calculate my scores using that formula way I get a 21.78, however Dr. Sutton informed me that my score was 17.37. Anyone else getting different values as well?

I think that your overall z-score is the sum of the z-score of each section multiplied by the percentage weight (but I don't know if you are able to calculate the individual z-scores based on information she gives us or not).

I agree. I think you need to know how everyone else did before you can calculate your z-score. It's a measure of how well you did on each metric compared to everyone else. I'd just call Carolyn and ask for it if you don't have it. She was able to give me mine when I dropped in after my phone interview.

I agree. I think you need to know how everyone else did before you can calculate your z-score. It's a measure of how well you did on each metric compared to everyone else. I'd just call Carolyn and ask for it if you don't have it. She was able to give me mine when I dropped in after my phone interview.

I believe I'm the only one who calculated my z-score that way, and it was based on an interpretation of what I recall Dr. Sutton saying ("based on the raw score for each section and its weight percent"). Sorry if I misled anyone!

Wow, you guys certainly are industrious, haha. Getting the statistical information like this definitely seems to have spiced things up around here. That being said, I've got an important message, "straight from the horse's mouth", so to speak. The admissions ladies asked me to post this on the forums to clear up any confusion about z-scores. Here is a message straight from Dr. Sutton to the admin girls, and indirectly to Dalhousie Class of 2015 applicant pool:

" The reason for feedback is to assist applicants in preparing a stronger

application should they decide to apply again; for these reasons I give them

their component scores and the respective group averages for comparison. The z scores are for the ranking purposes and I am disappointed that applicants are using them to try and construct their own rank order wait-list which cannot be done with accuracy as they do not have sufficient data. From here on I instruct the office to not provide the Z scores."

Evelyn Sutton, MD, FRCPC,

Assistant Dean of Admissions

By the looks of things, z-scores on their own are insufficient to build a waitlist. It also seems like giving those scores out didn't have the desired effect, so they won't be given out any longer. I'm sure that very useful feedback will still be given to all IP applicants, and since the z-scores weren't really all that useful in helping you improve you application for next year, not getting your z-score won't be a setback at all.

Enjoy your summer!

My friend told me he read this on premed and I thought it suited the situation well: Being waitlisted is like getting dumped every two weeks. The highs and lows are tough! It kind of reminds me of being in a relationship that drags on, even though you know in your gut that it should end.... but maybe, just maybe, they'll take you back. Although, admittedly, I am usually the one stringing the other person along, so maybe this is all some sort of karmic retribution.

Regardless of how exaggerated you think that analogy is, I'm really happy to have found premed and be able to have a support group in the past few weeks. When we all started posting our experiences with our feedback interviews, I realized that there were other people out there who were also in this limbo situation. Thanks for sharing about it! If you haven't sat down with someone else who has/is experiencing the waitlist and had a huge vent session, do it. It's a giant relief. Thanks especially to CRK!

I haven't heard any news (I did notice the number of people registered in Med 1 went up three from last week, but that could be completely unrelated).

I asked Carolyn before if they would be posting progress on the waitlist/post when it's full and she said they will not be doing that this year. :(

Well hopefully the waitlist keeps moving! I'd love to know progress and where I'm ranked so I can truly plan for the coming year, but I guess I just have to go forward like I am applying again this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived