Premed 101 Forums

Question about NATS courses at york

DaveT

Hi guys, I just have a quick question. I am currently doing a science major but I would like to take one of the NATS courses. I am thinking of taking history of astronomy (NATS 1745). York university site says that it will not count as a credit if it's biology related, but I am not sure if it is. Also, if it does not count it as a credit do medical school count it? I understand it may not count towards my degree (which i am not worried about at all), but if medical schools do count it as credits (for example taking 24 science credits plus a 6 credit NATS course for 30 credits total), would that make me a full time student?

• 1 month later...
Check the list of course credit exclusions for the specific NATS course. If BIOL1010 is listed, then you cannot take it because no credit will be retained, and therefore no mark. I believe you can take any other NATS though (so long as its not an exclusion for another class you've taken, eg chem1000/1001 is one for 'molecules and the mind.')

For history of astronomy specifically, you can take it AND it will count towards your degree. I've taken like 5 NATS courses and never had a problem.

I'm currently thinking about taking a NATS course for an elective next year. I currently have my eye on:

NATS 1610 6.0- The Living Body

NATS 1675 6.0 - Human Development

NATS 1700 6.0 - Computers, Information and Society

NATS 1730 6.0 - Scientific Change

NATS 1740 6.0 - Astronomy

NATS 1745 6.0 - History of Astronomy

NATS 1870 6.0 - Understanding Colour

NATS 1880 6.0 - Life Beyond Earth

Have you taken any of these by any chance and can you comment on how easy they are and how grades are evaluated? I'm looking for something that isn't subjective (like essay writing, philosophy) and want something more factual (perferably multiple choice tests).

I'm not a premed or in anything science-related (found this forum while googling for course information) but did take gr12 science courses in high school.

Also, anyone have any suggestion for other easy, A+, 1000-level electives (I've already done intro to psych, something similar would be nice)? Anyone hear anything about math 1300/1310? I'm thinking about taking it as a challenge since calc may be useful/is applicable to many things.

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently thinking about taking a NATS course for an elective next year. I currently have my eye on:

NATS 1610 6.0- The Living Body

NATS 1675 6.0 - Human Development

NATS 1700 6.0 - Computers, Information and Society

NATS 1730 6.0 - Scientific Change

NATS 1740 6.0 - Astronomy

NATS 1745 6.0 - History of Astronomy

NATS 1870 6.0 - Understanding Colour

NATS 1880 6.0 - Life Beyond Earth

Have you taken any of these by any chance and can you comment on how easy they are and how grades are evaluated? I'm looking for something that isn't subjective (like essay writing, philosophy) and want something more factual (perferably multiple choice tests).

I'm not a premed or in anything science-related (found this forum while googling for course information) but did take gr12 science courses in high school.

Also, anyone have any suggestion for other easy, A+, 1000-level electives (I've already done intro to psych, something similar would be nice)? Anyone hear anything about math 1300/1310? I'm thinking about taking it as a challenge since calc may be useful/is applicable to many things.

Thanks in advance.

Just curious, but what is your major?

so in conclusion,

if a biology major takes a nats course, then the course will be treated as an elective course and will not count towards anything in the program. However, the credits will still appear as taken and the marks will still appear on the transcript for the purpose of the medical schools?>

maybe no credits towards major means no credits given?

u know what, im just going to give them a call to ask this

• 2 months later...
so in conclusion,

if a biology major takes a nats course, then the course will be treated as an elective course and will not count towards anything in the program. However, the credits will still appear as taken and the marks will still appear on the transcript for the purpose of the medical schools?>

maybe no credits towards major means no credits given?

u know what, im just going to give them a call to ask this

It will count towards your 120 credits. Not all of the 120 credits have to be science.

Archived