Premed 101 Forums

Scholarships/Bursaries

Guest melNB

Guest melNB

I was wondering if MUN offers any entrance awards and how they compare to Dal.

Also, how is it that MUN is able to keep their tuition so low? Does this mean that our education is in any way affected?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clinicalchief

MUN has zilch for entrance scholarships unfortunately. As for your second question, I've never really thought about it. I'm not sure how the tuition is kept so low; althought I would imagine the provincial government kicks in more cash...but I can say confidently that our education isn't suffering because of it - in any observable way anway. MUN has a solid reputation across the country, as do most schools in Canada since they will all give you a high quality education. I can give you an example that may convince you - we just got back from our first year rural placement. We were all sent to different parts of NL, NB and PEI to work with a rural clinician. Everything was paid for - airfare, bus rides, taxis (which cost some people more than $1000), accomodations, meals (with exceptions) and other expenses. We get reimbursed for everything. Most people got to do a whole lot at their placements. In two weeks, I saw ~30 patients on my own in a family practice clinic, ~20 in emerg, got a few ambulance rides, saw an air ambulance in operation, started a few IVs, did (supervised) pretty much all the anaesthesia for two operations including the sedation, airway management, full intubation X2 / extubation, scrubbed in on a vasectomy and a few gyne scopes, saw a c-section plus many other surgeries, was one of two med students with one doc and one nurse when two trauma patients came in severely injured in an MVA (one passed away unfortunately)...just to name a few! This is the kind of experience you get at MUN - EARLY! Anyway, sorry for blabbing on but I think everyone who has interviewd should seriously consider coming here! Hope to see you in August!!

cc

Archived