Premed 101 Forums

Just a question about OSAP - it asks about income in the estimator. What exactly is considered income? It mentions that monetary gifts are considered income but was exactly is a monetary gift? Would this be money directly given to me or if someone were to pay my tuition or part thereof would that be considered income under monetary gifts?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a question about OSAP - it asks about income in the estimator. What exactly is considered income? It mentions that monetary gifts are considered income but was exactly is a monetary gift? Would this be money directly given to me or if someone were to pay my tuition or part thereof would that be considered income under monetary gifts?

Yeah they have strange rules for all of that. All of what you are describing is technically a monetary gift. Most students actually ignore all that of course and just use income as something that will show up on your income tax as actual taxable income (that just happens to be the only thing the government can actually verify against anyway).

I'm with Scotiabank, I pay $40 for a 1%/2% (groceries and gas) cash back VISA. I tried to lower the price, they wouldn't let me.

annoying - med students get that card for free by default at scotia. Actually the upgrade is free as well (which is what I have)

Yeah they have strange rules for all of that. All of what you are describing is technically a monetary gift. Most students actually ignore all that of course and just use income as something that will show up on your income tax as actual taxable income (that just happens to be the only thing the government can actually verify against anyway).

Thanks - that is what I thought.

annoying - med students get that card for free by default at scotia. Actually the upgrade is free as well (which is what I have)

That's odd considering I am a med student. They just switched med reps, I'll have to talk to the new one about this. I suppose other banks would offer that deal and I can just threaten to leave?

That's odd considering I am a med student. They just switched med reps, I'll have to talk to the new one about this. I suppose other banks would offer that deal and I can just threaten to leave?

Like Jack, that is the only language they understand. Just remember, you are in the driver's seat and any other bank would be happy to grab you. They pay referral fees to those bringing in others.

Sure you could - you won't have to really threaten much though. You know what others get, just point that out and suggest you are a bit disappointed.

I love using the term disappointed at banks. So much more powerful than anything else :)

Archived